Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ChChChelsea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm

Recently a social worker unofficially diagnosed my brother with aspergers. She was at my house to check on my mother who had recently had surgery and while she was over she noticed my brothers behavior was very similar to her own son who was officially diagnosed. I've been researching aspergers but I still don't know a whole lot about it. How do you tell a 30 year old that you think they have aspergers? My brother is very defensive and gets angry very easily so we want to go about it the best way possible but we don't know how. Does anyone have any advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 8:07 am

I wouldn't push the issue, if I were you--unless a diagnosis would benefit him materially (this includes accommodations in college/university).

Asperger's is not cancer, or even pneumonia. It's not something that MUST be diagnosed in somebody. Under the DSM V, it doesn't even exist. If he were diagnosed at all, he would possibly be diagnosed with "autism spectrum disorder."

What sort of issues does your brother have?

Maybe, in conversation, allude to other people you know who have Aspergian symptoms.

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 4:29 pm

I agree with Kraftie on this. If the diagnosis won't help him, then don't really push it. Honestly, even if it would help him, you might not want to push it. If a family member had told me they think I had autism I would have chalked it up to them being crazy and moved on with my life, never giving it a second glance, and much more resistant to the idea in the future. If he needs the diagnosis, you need to get the right person to deliver the news, in the right way. For me, it was while I was already in therapy and I was basically asked if I knew anything about autism, and the therapist recommended I do some research on it and see if I felt it fit what I was experiencing. I really had no idea what autism spectrum meant and didn't know functioning adults could be on the spectrum. Coming from my doctor who has already helped me resolve some of my issues, I'll listen and see what's what. If it had come from my sister? not a chance.
That's unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Good luck and stay safe.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:49 pm

Autism is a spectrum condition that shares traits with other other conditions. Or as we say if you know one person with Aspergers, you know one person with Aspergers. A lot of thread below will not pertain to you but might help you get some understanding of the strong feelings in the community.

Wrong Planet thread:"I'm an expert, I have a cousin/child that has it."

Welcome to Wrong Planet. As you further research the topic, feel free to ask questions

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 2:44 am

Let him read the wikipedia article. Whether he wants to get a diagnosis is his choice of course.

papadan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

I, too, would be in no hurry LABEL your brother with a diagnosis. With all due respect for the hard working and well meaning medical and psychological professionals, a true description and effective treatment for what is today called "Autism" or "Asperger's" comes not from current knowledge bases, but from long ago when humanity was much more
spiritually enlightened than they are today.Today's people are erroneously taught that "long ago" or "ancient" is synonymous with "primitive" or "ineffective". Nothing is further from the truth. You have to go back many, many centuries or even millennia to a time when, as many advanced current historians will tell you.... if you took the average citizen off the street anywhere in the world today and placed him back then, he would be too primitive to even carry on a conversation. Our egos may not agree but it is a fact. "History" is constructed by the victorious and the real truth is not always their agenda.

Long ago, what we call autism was not perceived as a problem or unfortunate condition; it was considered a spiritual gift! That is well known in many lands even today. It was a celebration. We, the Awakened Ones of a very ancient School, can help you a great deal with your brother (if he needs help at all)....he needs to know that there is nothing "wrong" him. He is simply living in a deformed, dysfunctional world....a spiritually devolved world, steered by money, control of many by a few and reams and reams of historical and spiritual misinformation....it's all around us..

The simple truth is that autistics have a portion of their conscious awareness residing at all times in the fourth Dimension
of Creation while the other part resides down here in the third Dimension...and down here is hell on them.
You might say they were born pre-enlightened. Our School has successfully transformed them into the special individuals that they are by teaching them to balance their energies (it is all about energies, not chemicals...).
We are not about religion, we are not about money. We are about healing ourselves the natural way, so we may heal others who wish. No one heals anyone until first, they heal themselves. If you wish, I will email you privately with where to discover more, much more helpful and enlightening information and tools. Thank you for reading....papadan