Why does Rap music have such a bad reputation?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

Why is it that everyone i talk to seems to think that rap music is only people talking about sex money and how awesome they are. Sure that is what a lot of rap music is about with artists like Big Sean and Tyga coming to mind, But there are also rappers who have positive and thought provoking things to say with their music. Kendrick Lamar and Phonte are two of my favorite rappers and they actually have a lot to say with their music. There are also other rappers such as Brother Ali and Talib Kweli who have a lot of positivity in their lyrics.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 1:23 pm

Because the absolute worst of it is what gets the most exposure.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

What Jory said. I'd check out Hopsin, he's a rapper who doesn't like mainstream rap so his songs make fun of those rappers. He even has a song called "Sag My Pants", it's pretty funny.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

FlyingSpaceKittie wrote:
What Jory said. I'd check out Hopsin, he's a rapper who doesn't like mainstream rap so his songs make fun of those rappers. He even has a song called "Sag My Pants", it's pretty funny.

Yeah i listen to hopsin and really liked his newest album knock madness. He kinda reminds me of early eminem a little bit

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

Yeah Eminem's lyrics are creative which is why I respect him as an artist.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 2:23 pm

Because that's mostly what the mainstream/popular rap music is about, that and b*tches and hoes because that is what all females like to be called. That said from time to time I've heard some that isn't like that which I am ok with...still not my favorite genre as rock and metal is more my thing, but if someone actually raps about problems in the world as in criticizing it...or has something positive to say I can listen to it. Another thing I don't get is that hip hop sort of stuff or slower rap kind of music or whatever you'd call it where they use that stupid voice equalizer thing that makes them sound like one of those Furby toys from the 90's is also very unappealing to me. Someone once told me its to minimize how 'black' their voice sounds which I don't really get.....I don't see what is wrong with their natural voices, though I am not even sure that is the reason, then again I never really see white artists using that then again I kind of steer clear of mainstream music I just am exposed from time to time.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 2:31 pm

Yeah i have stopped listening to a lot of mainstream rock and rap as well. Mainstream rap is especially bad as every artist sounds the same with their lyrical themes and beats.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2015, 2:57 pm

It's why I prefer mostly metal that I usually find out about from friends or internet radio. Mainstream music makes me feel like I'm losing brain cells when hearing it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 3:16 pm

I wish industrial hip hop was more popular.

Are there any other songs like this, that mix rap vocals/beats with industrial music?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

Racial origin of the genre is one factor.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:59 pm

Lyrics about Violence, Violence against women, Violence against police, Violence for the sake of violence, and Rape.

To top it off, rap ain't music!

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Lyrics about Violence, Violence against women, Violence against police, Violence for the sake of violence, and Rape.

That's not the way all rap music is though. That's just the stuff they play on the radio and that sells the most records.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2015, 8:34 pm

Lazershow wrote:
That's not the way all rap music is though. That's just the stuff they play on the radio and that sells the most records.

Question answered. It's the only rap most people are exposed to, which is why they say they dislike rap and not "some rap".

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 8:43 pm

Fnord wrote:

How so? Atmosphere has some beautiful music... the guitar in 'Guarantees' is lovely, I find the music in 'Me' lovely. Most of 'When Life Gives You Lemons is musically nice. I do not understand what is not music about it.

But yeah, I agree that most of why rap gets a bad name is because of the mainstream stuff. I cannot stand most mainstream rap. My oldest daughter loves mainstream rap though. *shrugs*

Quote:
Are there any other songs like this, that mix rap vocals/beats with industrial music?

For whatever reason, videos do not load on this site for me. I am curious, what did you post there?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

dossa wrote:
Quote:

For whatever reason, videos do not load on this site for me. I am curious, what did you post there?

"Down In It" by Nine Inch Nails.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

Alt-rap ain't bad...

Too bad more of it isn't like this... RIP MCA.