Serious trouble completing homework

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

I don't know how to get through this. Whenever I have to complete a major piece of homework, I get really anxious, can't think, start worrying about it and various unrelated things, often cry, sometimes meltdown, totally lose the ability to properly concentrate. If the instructions are very clear and I know what I'm doing - especially if it's something I don't have to hand in, or I'm unlikely to get wrong - then I can usually do it. But most of the time the instructions are so vague and with every moment I feel like I'm doing it wrong and imagine handing it in and get more and more anxious about it. It honestly makes me feel like a five year old child again: I just can't think and I just can't do it.

Often I do much of the bulk of the homework only to get stuck on organising it, on putting it into the correct words or format, or rewriting it so that it's "perfect." Because it never, ever feels finished, I'm sometimes even more anxious after completing it than I was before. Too many times I've completed it but just couldn't hand it in. I consider skipping school because I feel like I haven't done it well enough and can't face handing it in, but my brain seems to shut down whenever I try to improve it.

Tomorrow I have a fair amount of homework to hand in and I haven't been able to get it finished for the above reasons. I probably won't sleep, I probably won't complete it and I'll probably avoid school tomorrow and create even more problems for myself. I'm trying but I really can't even think properly, except to endlessly beat myself up. I don't even know why I'm posting this, except I feel ridiculously alone and about to completely shut down over this and posting my stupid melodrama on online forums seems vaguely helpful

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

What is the homework on?

If I were you, I would go to school, anyway. Maybe you could discuss your difficulties with the teacher. Maybe the teacher will let make up the homework. It's better than not showing up in school.

sparrowblue

23 Mar 2015, 7:27 pm

Thank you for replying; your words reassured me somewhat. The homework is on sea level change.

It's really not very difficult at all but I was getting stuck on the usual things and becoming overwhelmed. I took a break, lay in the dark for a while, calmed my breathing, took something calming and did some progressive muscle relaxation. Actually able to think now. I still probably won't get any sleep, but I may be able to get this done.

Even if not, you're right. I'll go in whichever way and do my best to explain if I can't finish. Thanks again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

You're welcome.

I'm glad I was a little bit of help.

I've pulled a few "all-nighters" myself!

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2015, 7:42 am

How often do your teachers have office hours? Would it help if you stayed after school and did your homework there, so they could keep an eye on you and help if you need it?