What's one of your biggest sensory pet peeves?

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:04 am

Mine is definitely sports on the radio... usually they have their own slot at the end of half an hour, quite predictable, which I use as a cue to switch it off... but today for some bizarre reason they started interviewing someone who promptly began shouting... how annoying is that?! Why do people have no idea that shouting on the radio is annoying?! :x

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2015, 2:23 am

Commercials. I was complaining about this recently to a friend, that I don't mind if the show is loud, but notice how the commercials are so much louder? I constantly have to lower the volume at commercial-time. And if I happen to get up to pee or something & I'm not there at the right moment to lower it, it actually distracts me from what I'm doing till I lower it. I got up once to answer the door during a show, commercial comes on, and literally I could not concentrate on what the kid was saying to me - total distraction. (those kids selling chocolate bars - the distraction has to be pretty bad to distract me from chocolate :P )

I told my friend we should invent a new gadget & become super-millionaires from it - an automatic hands-free commercial-muting device :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196
"Everyone inside the circle is normal. Everyone outside the circle should be beaten, broken, and reset, so they can be brought inside the circle. Failing that, they should be institutionalized, or worse, pitied. Why would you feel sorry for someone who gets to opt out of the inane courteous formalities, which are utterly meaningless, insincere, and therefore degrading? Can you imagine how liberating it would be to live a life free of all the mind-numbing social niceties? I don't pity this kid. I envy him." Dr. Gregory House, speaking of a boy with autism, House M.D.

princessarachne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2015, 3:36 am

Out of tune music.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 4:02 am

Anyone arguing or yelling within earshot.

One time this guy was shouting obscenely at his girlfriend on his cell phone in a parking lot, and I got so annoyed that I began yelling "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!" at him so he couldn't continue arguing because I was so distracting. He peeled out of there in his car in a cloud of smoking rubber. But it serves him right.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 5:45 am

princessarachne wrote:
Out of tune music.

Yes! This!

Also, when you're driving and the radio station fades out... Although as much. an annoyance as a sensory issue.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 9:25 am

That constant drone of a baby crying. It's even more annoying on TV Soaps like Eastenders, when there's a very young mum who has just had a baby and cannot handle it and half the programme just views the mum sitting in a distressed manner while the baby cries and cries forever. I feel like just switching the TV over, but other people like to watch it.

Also I hate it on shows like The One Show when the TV presenters keep laughing loud in a cheery sort of way, and talking over each other. Even my family get annoyed with that. I know it's good to hear people laughing on reality/topical shows, rather than hearing all this doom and gloom about Russia and Ukraine. I suppose you just got to look at it that way.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

Unexpected touch especially from shoulders up.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

NelleM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

People fidgeting with plastic grocery sacks for longer than a few seconds to get something out or put something in.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 10:42 pm

Screeching kids or babies.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

Being in a place with lots of people talking having different conversations all at once.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 3:09 pm

alarms and sirens. makes me feel like i can't think anymore

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

I was watching the top 10 pet peeves on WatchMojo.com and I'm feeling a little guilty because I've committed at least of the things that drive people more insane than they should: talking to loudly, walking too slowly, and correcting other people's grammar. Interestingly, the video said people who constantly misuse grammar are a real pet peeve too, but pointing it out makes you look like you have some superiority complex.

I'm human. That alone gives me an inferiority complex.

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2015, 3:38 pm

A TV that is constantly on. At many doctor's offices, there is a big-screen TV that blares commercials and other mindless shows constantly. Not the recipe for calm..... :(

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2015, 3:52 pm

NelleM wrote:
People fidgeting with plastic grocery sacks for longer than a few seconds to get something out or put something in.

On a related note, there are the people who stand there in a grocery aisle handling crinkly bags (like potato chip bags) for long period of time. It's usually older people that turn this into a big production. It makes me want to tell them to knock it off and set it down to read the label.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

little_blue_jay wrote:
Commercials. I was complaining about this recently to a friend, that I don't mind if the show is loud, but notice how the commercials are so much louder? I constantly have to lower the volume at commercial-time. And if I happen to get up to pee or something & I'm not there at the right moment to lower it, it actually distracts me from what I'm doing till I lower it. I got up once to answer the door during a show, commercial comes on, and literally I could not concentrate on what the kid was saying to me - total distraction. (those kids selling chocolate bars - the distraction has to be pretty bad to distract me from chocolate :P )

I told my friend we should invent a new gadget & become super-millionaires from it - an automatic hands-free commercial-muting device :lol:

I was going to say loud introductions at the beginning of television shows, but yeah, commercials, too. When the show 'comes on;' where they play the theme music and list the actors' names. More and more, shows are making this theme music incredibly loud, much louder than the rest of the show. I have to mute it.
Anyone watch 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine?' WORST LOUD THEME MUSIC EVER!! !! Makes me want to rip out my own teeth! I DIVE for the remote to mute it. BTW, my NT partner says it isn't any louder than the rest of the show, but it is to me. At least he lets me mute.