Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

lauriefrance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

Hey all, I have some issues and questions. Sorry if my terminology is pretty bad, I'm new to talking about stuff like this. So, here are my issues: my periods have recently become very irregular. They used to be 28 days every month. Now, they are 28,29,30,29,30 days to just completely stopping. Nothing is regular anymore. When I get my period, I bleed very heavy and very long. I bleed through 2 maxi pads and then I still end up bleeding through my pants and the sheets if I'm sleeping, all in a half hour. Cramps are brutal. The only relief is to sleep, if I can. Nothing helps. When should I start to worry if I have not gotten my period this month? I started the 4th of march, and nothing yet. Should I start to worry after the 4th of April? I went to a primary care physician and he said everything was normal. I made an appointment with an OBGYN this morning, but the soonest they could see me is the end of may. What should I do in the meantime? When should I worry? Is anyone willing to PM me to talk about more of this stuff that maybe they know and I don't? Thanks so much.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm

I think it is good you are seeing a gynecologist. Your primary care doctor doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about.

The range of days doesn't sound too off to me. I am usually 28 days exactly, but sometimes my period will come a day early or late. If I am hanging around a lot of females, my cycle will correct itself to line up with the other women.

The heaviness is causing problems for you, so it definitely needs to be checked out. I can't say if or what the problem is - the GYN will look into that. The only thing I can say is to ask the office to let you know if an appointment becomes available sooner, if anyone cancels. Other than that, just wait until May. I don't think that anything sounds so urgent that you are going to have serious problems waiting until then.

I always had very heavy periods, but not as heavy as what you are describing. I sleep deeply, and because I would stay in one spot for so long, I would leak at night. Now, I don't have that problem so much. In the morning, though, I have to get to the bathroom quickly. These days, because I'm getting older, some months are very light. But the next month my body makes up for it!

Of course, use your best judgment. You should look up signs of hemorrhaging and if you feel that is what is happening at any point, call for an ambulance.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

I would just keep track of it for now till you can get an appointment, for me I get mine once every 1-3 months for one week only. I have been this way forever, and there is nothing they found to explain it.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

This sounds a little similar to my problem although not exact: My periods started becoming lighter and less frequent for a while, then they start making up for it with greater flow and frequency until I'm bleeding every day for months at a time. Sometimes the flow is ridiculously heavy (menorrhagia) and I would completely soak those super-heavy-flow "overnight" pads in two hours, and I'd feel blood gushing out whenever I moved after sitting still for a while. :? Yuck. Fortunately for me, these weird periods are actually way less painful than the "normal" periods I used to have. However, the ridiculously heavy and long-term blood flow was causing me to become anemic.

My doctors, including the gynecologist I saw, can't figure out what's wrong, but they aren't dumb enough to say nothing's wrong. They gave me hormonal medication (usually the same thing as birth control, but last time they gave me something else) to keep it under control. My periods will be normal for a while after stopping the medication, but then the process will start over.

I've found that long-term menstrual bleeding is such a foreign to many doctors that it can be hard to explain your symptoms so that they understand.

A friend of a friend had similar symptoms as me, except more pain, and she was diagnosed with endometriosis.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 8:56 pm

Many things can throw your period off, stress, weight changes, illness etc. But bleeding so heavy isn't normal. That could be a number of problems, anything from a miscarriage to ovarian cysts or endometriosis.
I really don't know what to tell you. Maybe try incontinence products. My mom had endometriosis and would bleed through maxi pads. She used bladder protection pads, they absorbed more.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:03 pm

Come to think of it a sheet protector on top of the sheets might save you some laundry too.

lauriefrance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2015, 9:05 pm

I do use a sheet and matress protector and I still end up bleeding through. I sometimes wears 2 heavy flow pads then put toilet paper over that. And I still bleed through them

DoubleCatrin
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2015, 9:21 am

Cyllya1 wrote:
This sounds a little similar to my problem although not exact: My periods started becoming lighter and less frequent for a while, then they start making up for it with greater flow and frequency until I'm bleeding every day for months at a time. Sometimes the flow is ridiculously heavy (menorrhagia) and I would completely soak those super-heavy-flow "overnight" pads in two hours, and I'd feel blood gushing out whenever I moved after sitting still for a while. :? Yuck. Fortunately for me, these weird periods are actually way less painful than the "normal" periods I used to have. However, the ridiculously heavy and long-term blood flow was causing me to become anemic.

My doctors, including the gynecologist I saw, can't figure out what's wrong, but they aren't dumb enough to say nothing's wrong. They gave me hormonal medication (usually the same thing as birth control, but last time they gave me something else) to keep it under control. My periods will be normal for a while after stopping the medication, but then the process will start over.

I've found that long-term menstrual bleeding is such a foreign to many doctors that it can be hard to explain your symptoms so that they understand.

A friend of a friend had similar symptoms as me, except more pain, and she was diagnosed with endometriosis.

Hey, I don't know what hormone medication the doctors have been giving you but if they stop- the all month bleeding!- then they do some good at least.

It is relatively normal that your cycle starts turning into menorrhagia after stopping the hormone treatment.
It means your body isn't producing enough of a certain hormone or maybe producing too much of another, or both.
Unless your doctors deal with the problem of the hormones, things will stay like they are and you will have to continue taking the hormone pill all the the time.
Remember hormone imbalance isn't like a flu that goes away after you taken a row of pills. It says there until it's fixed.
Hormone problems are difficult to fix, but you should give it a try if you can and search for a doctor that specializes on hormones.

And Laurie,...like I said...
try to balance the lifestyle till you get to the doctor, if you didn't go there already
Some daily exercise, focus on more emotional balance and less meat(because meat contains hormones and the meat that the shops offer has even more hormones than a normally grown animal has-the animals in production farms are given hormone infused meal to grow)that intake of hormones also can affect the hormone balance that is in our bodies

imaginary? bartender at
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=262032&start=285

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 2:39 pm

Any news, Laurie? Did you get in to seeing a doctor?

My daughter has started having similar problems. The GYN put her on the pill. So far, so good, but it's only been a couple of days. She had blood work done to check for Von Willebrand's Disease, as well. Waiting for results...

I learned that Von Willebrand's Disease is often discovered due to heavy, long-lasting periods (and large clots, too.) Who knew? The GYN said that every woman with heavy periods should at least get checked for it.