what kind of animals live in your area?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:38 am

We have raccoons, possums, groundhogs, squirrels, and bats. Those ones occasionally make their way into houses around here. Sometimes you can spot deer, but only near the river... they do not wander far into residential areas. Now and then you hear a woodpecker or an owl. Sparrows, robins, cardinals, and blue jays are common enough here. We do have some wolf spiders, those cellar dwellers are all over basements around here. Oh, we have those house centipedes as well. Ladybugs are all over the place and so are lightning bugs.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:39 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, bats, possums, feral cats (outside), mice (inside)----I can't think of any other animals.....

As for bugs: mostly, I just get about 3 or 4, a month (stink bugs; little, nasty, real solid, black spiders----they're not that big, but I SWEAR I can see the hair on their legs; and lightning bugs), because I found-out how they get-in----through the drains----so, I plugged all mine up.

Birds: Woodpeckers (drive me nuts, if they're close to my building----if they're out in the woods, I actually think they sound cool), sparrows, owls, cardinals, Blue Jays, hawks, eagles and vultures (I've only seen each of them, 3 or 4 times), Canadian geese (they pass-through, on their way to Florida, I guess, when they migrate)..... I could LOOK at birds all-day-long, but I don't want to HEAR them!! Every morning, the sparrows alight on my balcony, and talk with all their friends----and, if they stay too long, I throw a small, empty medicine bottle at the window (I keep it near me, for this reason. I throw it hard enough to rattle the closed mini-blinds----but, not hard enough to go-through the mini blinds, and hit the window----and they fly-off. Ahhhh----the SILENCE, that follows.)

Also, we (the people in this area) get a BAZILLION seagulls, EVERY DAY----and we are 3 hours from the shore, so I've never been able to figure this out----and I was born and raised here----no one, here, knows why we get them!!

I'm crazy about seagulls, and love their screams.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:40 am

Alien_Papa wrote:
Squirrels

Hawks

beautiful beyone words

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 12:25 pm

I live in the Netherlands, in the forest nearby live wild boars. They are probably the most dangerous animals here since they are very protective of their young and they will attack humans. Their young look extremely cute and they have stripes.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 12:40 pm

I took this picture today, I love hares :)

Image" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

But thera are also dear, elk, foxes, badgers, wild boar, rabbits, sometimes wolf (have not seen one) and lots of birds

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

Bondkatten wrote:
I took this picture today, I love hares :)

Image" alt="Image" class="resize_me" />

But thera are also dear, elk, foxes, badgers, wild boar, rabbits, sometimes wolf (have not seen one) and lots of birds

Absolutely beautiful picture.
Wolves can be dangerous. No one attacked yet?

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:

Absolutely beautiful picture.
Wolves can be dangerous. No one attacked yet?

Hares are beautiful animals :)
No I never heard of anyone (human) getting attacked, only sheep or dogs, mostly hunting dogs.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 3:25 pm

Bison, elk, horses, cows, deer, mountain goats, wolves, mountain lions, porcupines, skunks, Canada geese, hawks, eagles, peregrine falcons, raccoons, beavers, various dogs and cats, California seagulls, ducks, chickens, various migratory birds, sheep, bass fish, trout fish, prairie dogs, squirrels, chipmunks, various snakes and other reptiles, Mountain quails, California quails, bats, scorpions, the occasional bear and brine shrimp (look it up). :wink: Oh, and there used to be wild camels here (look it up, too).

Hey, it is Utah.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 5:26 pm

Hi felinesaresuperior, it's nice to see you again.

Standard domesticated animals, Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Horses, Chickens, Dogs, Cats etc.

Fauna that I have seen:

Red Squirrel –Growing local population :) , Grey Squirrel, Voles, Mice, Rats, Shrews, Voles, Hares, Rabbits, Hedgehogs, Bats, Red Fox, American Mink :x , Stoat, Pine Marten (have only seen one) Badger, Otter, Red Deer, Fallow Deer.

Brown Frog, Freshwater fish: Brown Trout, Pike, Perch, Bream, Eel, Roach.

Grebes, Cormorants, Herons, Ducks, Geese, Swans, Buzzards, Kestrels, Pheasants, Crakes, Coots, Rails, Moorhens, Lapwings, Gulls, Pigeons, Doves, Cuckoos, Owls, Swifts, Kingfishers, Larks, Swallows, Martins, Wagtails, Kinglets, Dippers, Wrens, Thrushes, Warblers, Robins, Tits, Rooks, Crows, Hooded Crows, Magpies, Starlings, Finches, Sparrows.

Insects, too many to list, e.g. Spiders, Ladybirds, Butterflies, Damselflies, Wasps, Ants, Aphids and of course Mosquitoes :x .

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

Live in suburban Washington DC. Used to hike on the C+O Canal often. There I have seen beavers, muskrats, toads, huge snapping turtles, carp, shiner fish, water snakes, black snakes, turkey buzzards, black headed buzzards, comorants, bald eagles, osprey, red tail hawks, mallard ducks, grebes, piliated woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, deer, non snapping turtles, skinks, toads,red foxes, deer. blue gill,cat fish,kingfishers, crows, wild geese. carp. barn swallows, redwing blackbirds, bats, humming birds, dragon flies. damsel flies. Also in the DC area have seen possums, and raccoons.

SKSFox1999
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2015, 2:11 pm

feral hogs