Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 9:13 am

I know sound sensitivity is common among people with ASD. It's always been an issue with me - common ones like people chewing loudly/with their mouths open, sucking their fingers when eating, or repetitive sounds like a dog barking, fan ticking, or someone repeatedly singing the same song. But recently I've noticed an increase in sound sensitivity. A housemate was eating cookies and another using crutches that squeaked across the floor, and I actually had to put silicone earplugs in my ears because I couldn't stand the noise. People clanging pots in the kitchen - again, I had to put earplugs in because I can't stand it. Even someone drinking out of a glass, loudly gulping and sucking, and I had to leave the room. This is hardly conducive to functioning normally in the everyday world. And yet, I can walk around the city with cars and people and ambulances screeching by and not be bothered.
My question - has anyone noticed an increase in sensitivities like this coming up? Whether its sound, touch, whatever? What could cause an autism based sensitivity like this to worsen so selectively? Is it stress based, and thus would lessen when stress is alleviated? Anyone who has sound sensitivities - what do you do about it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 9:20 am

For me it seems to be related to stress, if I am overly stressed or feeling edgy..the noise sensitivity is worse and much more unpleasant.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 9:36 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
For me it seems to be related to stress, if I am overly stressed or feeling edgy..the noise sensitivity is worse and much more unpleasant.

+1

I've also noticed that the longer it is quiet, the more sensitive I am to sound, when it occurs.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 11:56 am

Count me in - and my tinnitus gets worse as well, which is super annoying...

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:40 pm

Stress, fatigue, or illness (especially with sinus congestion or fever) make it worse for me. Putting headphones on with music helps me--lets me regulate what sounds are coming in. Fans are also soothing as a kind of white noise generator.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:53 pm

C2V wrote:
My question - has anyone noticed an increase in sensitivities like this coming up? Whether its sound, touch, whatever? What could cause an autism based sensitivity like this to worsen so selectively?

I don't know about autism-based sensitivity, but since my sound sensitivity has selectively worsened with regards to human-generated noise, I suspected that it had to do with the fact that I dislike people much more than I did when I was younger.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 1:14 am

I live in transitional housing and avoid the dining room because people are talking, dishes are clanking, the radio is on, the sound of cars passing nearby on the road is very apparent, people walking in and out of the room, etc. It can be overkill so I just keep my distance and eat in my room. I eat food cold right out of the can but I prefer that than going downstairs.

Lately, things have seemed louder to me, like the phone in this room, my roommate's cell phone alarm, his snoring, etc. I was sitting in a meeting two Sundays ago and there was a guy sitting behind me chapping his chewing gum. It sounded like he was actually sitting on my shoulder chapping into my ear. Very disturbing.

I lose my focus and concentration when people talk to me while I'm driving. It distracts me to the point I make driving mistakes so these days I prefer to drive alone with no one in the car and with the stereo off.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 1:18 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I live in transitional housing and avoid the dining room because people are talking, dishes are clanking, the radio is on, the sound of cars passing nearby on the road is very apparent, people walking in and out of the room, etc. It can be overkill so I just keep my distance and eat in my room.

OMG transitional housing is awful. I survived it because I was in it back when I was younger and less sensitive. During the past few years, I decided to stay homeless rather than go into any type of shared housing. I'd go insane and kill every damned body in there.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 3:31 am

Yep, this is transitional too. And I did mention that I would rather be homeless than continue dealing with people in this situation. People think that's nuts, as if you'll put up with anything rather than the street, but in many ways, being homeless is easier, living like an intelligent animal rather than a person. I'm also startling really bad at sounds - I hear someone's keys in the door, or footsteps, and almost jump out of my skin.