Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

justme2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2015, 5:34 pm

What are you supposed to do with your eyes and face when you are in a hallway? I know not to stare them down, but I want to smile and be friendly...
The whole thing freaks me out.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:18 pm

I look at the floor when I walk down hallways.

eemameem1230
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2015, 9:43 pm

Hi -

I think it's very uncomfortable, too.

Maybe you can find a compromise. So, if you see someone you are drawn to -- you have common interests, or they are nice or funny -- you can smile and wave once and a while. Otherwise, maybe you can look down. It's all about balancing your energy levels and comfort levels with what is functional. That's how I try to do it anyway. If I never smile at anyone, I'll get lonely because I won't know anyone. If I always do, I'll feel fake and tired by the end of the day.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

I just look straight ahead and constantly scan around me, part paranoid part curious about whats changing around me. Pretty effective way of getting around. Also whenever I'm outside I tend to look down, but that's usually because the sun is bright and my eyes are sensitive to the light

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:59 am

If you're not trying to "pass" as non-autistic, do whatever feels comfortable and appropriate to you.

If you're trying to do what's socially normal, I can tell you this is a great topic. Many people, aspies/auties and NTs alike, don't realize that other people are looking at them when they're walking past.

What you're "supposed" to do is look at a target (where you're going, usually), then when someone is in your line of view, you glance at their face. If they're looking at you, you make eye contact for maybe 1 second, smile SLIGHTLY, then look away. Sustained eye contact means that you're threatening or sexually attracted to the other person. Usually you don't want them to think either thing, lol!

There is something in aspie/autie eye contact that makes NT people comfortable, so that's another reason not to sustain eye contact. NTs usually explain it weird ways, but what's actually happening is that autistic people are using fewer tiny movements in their facial expressions and also focusing on different things when they look at another person. NTs look "into" the eyes, whereas aspies/auties look at the broad features. Are the eyebrows scowled or surprised? What's the mouth doing? That kind of thing.

Sorry if that was too much information. This topic fascinates me!

justme2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Ok that helps! Thanks :)