Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:27 pm

I have little interest in eye contact. I like hands much better.

But when I do look at people, they often dont want to make eye contact back. I apparently have an icy stare.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:30 pm

I veer between avoiding eye contact totally...and seeking it out, oddly. It depends on my mood...sometimes, I suppose I look to see what I can see there. I had a thing for staring at the eyes of actors on stage when I was in the audience, and more often than not, they would notice as I was usually close to the stage...and yes, lol, it did seem to bother them somewhat. I am tall, and seem to naturally draw attention to myself by doing nothing most times.

But I cannot look in peoples eyes when I am talking or when I feel they are angry with me, or when we are sat across from each other at a table. I couldn't look at my mother's face at all this weekend, which is odd for me. I just found I was nervous...around my own mother.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:35 pm

the title to this thread is what its like to look someone in the eyes very threatening.. for me anyways

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:40 pm

Yep. That is how it is.

My sister and I went to LA several years ago, and visited Hollywood. We were at some Warner Brothers red carpet event. They were parading the new seasons cast members by the members of the press(and some old favourites). A striking redheaded lady caught my eye, and I stared at her. She noticed, and locked gaze with me, and I must have intimidated her, because she flushed visibly from 50 feet away and while she didnt stumble, her stride broke.

The interesting thing is that she WAS the center of attention. There was a crowd of hundreds and photographers too. There were even people yelling interview questions at her.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:44 pm

i went to hollywood back in october to walk on that street with all the stars on it, man talk about some freaks down there. we played this little game where we would yell out, "HEY THERES BEYONCE" and EVEYONEs head turned into the direction of our voice. it was pretty much hilarious

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:45 pm

like omg theres beyonce! hahaha

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:46 pm

beyonce i love you! jajajahahahaha

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:47 pm

Where?

Fuzzy looks all around....

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2007, 12:47 pm

I know it well. The second my eyes lock with someone else's, I become the deer in the headlights, and it causes others to react. Usually with a stare back that says "Why are you looking at me like that," which for a long time I thought was them rejecting me or staring down at me, but I guess it wasnt much of the time. Kinda embarasing though.

I pretty much avoid all eye contact these days. Its safer that way.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:50 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Where?
oh i was just kidding man. but you get the idea about how a game like that would be very fun to play in a town like hollywood

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2007, 12:52 pm

Hey Fuzzy, maybe it was your halitosis! :lol:

Normals have a way of staring that's "not staring." They stare while they have a topic, indicating that's their interest. But staring without listening or having a topic means either fight or sex. She assumed it meant sex. Don't try that stare at a biker in a bar! :idea:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:53 pm

That would be a riot, yes.

In regards to hollywood, I do have to take into account the fact that i am tall, blonde, pale and blue eyed in a town where most everyone is short, brown, dark eyed and some part spanish or jewish..

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 12:57 pm

TimT wrote:
Hey Fuzzy, maybe it was your halitosis! :lol:

Normals have a way of staring that's "not staring." They stare while they have a topic, indicating that's their interest. But staring without listening or having a topic means either fight or sex. She assumed it meant sex. Don't try that stare at a biker in a bar! :idea:

Hey now. Get your nose out of my mouth.

I used that stare many times when I worked in a bar, and there were bikers! /me smiles showing all his original teeth.

Sex, huh? Then I wish I knew who she was...

Astilius
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2007, 12:59 pm

Like I siad in another thread, if the person I'm talking to has some distinguishing mark, mole, wart, broken tooth, deformity, food stuck to their face...anything like that, then I'll stare right at that all the time I talk to them.
I've been told I can be "rude" in this way. I don't mean it, though, but if someone had a big green tooth or a big, fat, hairy wart on their face then I just can't not stare.

I once had a job interview and the person taking the interview had some deformity of his hand. I just couldn't take my eyes off it. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 1:48 pm

I get called on my stare all the time from "What?!?!" to "Stop staring at me like that!" I think it's the stare that bores into them, but I don't know. In actuality, I'm usually attempting to read the non-verbal, but my eyes like my face is extremely impassive so they think I feel nothing.

Astilius
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2007, 1:51 pm

Yeah, my face is non-expressive too. I'm often told to, "cheer up", even though I'm perfectly happy.