Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2007, 4:44 pm

I find it weird, but when ever i am talking to someone over the internet (usually on a forum like this) and i have never met them before or asked for thier sex or age, i always seem to automaticly think that im talking to a girl round about my own age, even through it could be a 60 year old man im talking to. 8O

Does anybody else here seem to do this, where they always seem to image that the person that they are chatting to on a forum is always from the opposite sex, and round about the same age as yourself?

Sorry if you dont understand what i mean by this, but i cant think of a better way of explaining what i mean.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 4:51 pm

The differences between people are largely superficial, regardless of race, creed, neurology or even sex.

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2007, 4:55 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
The differences between people are largely superficial, regardless of race, creed, neurology or even sex.

Sorry, i dont understand. :?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

Its somewhat of an overgeneralization, but basically, we are all human. we want to eat, sleep, be at peace. We want to be kind, and to have others be kind to us. And if you reduce that to a net communication, you remove the racial and sexual nuances. Being an aspie reduces it further. We simply dont notice, and so we stereotype(which isnt always bad) them into a role similar or complimentary to us.

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2007, 5:15 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Its somewhat of an overgeneralization, but basically, we are all human. we want to eat, sleep, be at peace. We want to be kind, and to have others be kind to us. And if you reduce that to a net communication, you remove the racial and sexual nuances. Being an aspie reduces it further. We simply dont notice, and so we stereotype(which isnt always bad) them into a role similar or complimentary to us.

I think i understand now.

It probably because i prefere to fantasize about someone from my own age group and opposite sex, so i generally want to believe that i am talking to someone like that.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:33 pm

Thats right. All humans do it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 5:42 pm

WOW, I don't! I USED to RELIABLY be able to determine age and sex if the person was below a certain age or female. Some females have used certain language and expressed certain ideas that men WOULDN'T! That isn't so true NOW! Older people just spoke better, etc... NOW, they DON'T. When I was young, the idea of aspiring to be DIRT poor, in the ghetto, or speaking PIDGEON (like "ebonics") was ABHORANT! It isn't so to some now, it seems. Anyway, that means that I can't even use THAT technique anymore. I may SUSPECT, and otherwise just don't think about it.

Steve