Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 6:09 am

How can I get rid of the New Win32 virus? Apparently my computer is infected... :?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 6:33 am

hello sunnycat, what anivirus do you use?? beucase with most what tehy say is to restart computer into safe mode and rescan antivirus, then it should attempt to remove the threat, some viruses are soo hard were you have to manually go into the registry to remove it. to get to safe mode, (win xp) when restarting, press f8 or f5 and select safe mode then press enter key

if you also tell me the virus name and your antivirus i can look it up for you.

good luck

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 11:44 am

do a Virus check using an online scanner like:
http://security.symantec.com/

after knowing the virus name, search the virus name in the Symantec search bar

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 1:14 pm

If your computer is a Windows XP ot should be easy to fix by formatting your hard drive.
Saving all your documents on a flash drive. Then finding all your disks for your games
like ``World of Warcraft''.[ You have to reinstall them.] Format the drive then reinstall
Windows through the CD. Then put everything back on your computer thourgh CD or
Flash Drive. Then install a Antivirus Program.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 1:54 pm

gamefreak wrote:
If your computer is a Windows XP ot should be easy to fix by formatting your hard drive.
Saving all your documents on a flash drive. Then finding all your disks for your games
like ``World of Warcraft''.[ You have to reinstall them.] Format the drive then reinstall
Windows through the CD. Then put everything back on your computer thourgh CD or
Flash Drive. Then install a Antivirus Program.

What? format should be the last resort... imagine what a waste of time it is to format
your pc and re-install everything, programs, documents, SETTINGS for every program, drivers,
windows updates, etc.
Big no no.

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2007, 4:42 am

This is part and parcel the reason I love Linux :).

That's my two pence worth.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 6:37 am

a better way is to do recovery, xp dont have recovery disks beucase its actually drive D

when starting use arrow keys to move selecter to recovery console then press enter then let computer start in safe mode then after its started, go to system restore in start> all programs>system tools, then to system restore, the computer will then show a calender with last 7 days highlighted, select a date that the computer was last working well and click next or ok
restart machine

if manually removing a virus, i missed a step (important too) is to disable system restore