I keep saying Vancouver is Aspie friendly..

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 3:26 pm

And here's further evidence; Vancouver rated as unhappiest city in Canada!

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/vanc ... on-survey/

Read the article, basically it's unhappiest due to lack of social interactions and community involvement. We have evolved an entire culture of people who keep to themselves. We have the highest rate of single people living solo in small condos in the entire country. Neighbours don't talk to each other... etc - Aspie bliss! :lol:

FYI (IMO) this is all largely because 1/3rd of Vancouverites were born outside of the country & so many people don't speak English and go into defensive mode vs. get to know the people around them mode. We have a mix from poor refugees to ultra wealthy Chinese (more of these in recent years than any other ethnic group) who come from such diverse backgrounds that they don't mix very well. They don't fight, they just don't talk to each other. So many people fear what they don't understand.. and they literally put up security gates on their properties and over their front doors to keep people out vs. making friends with their neighbours to put themselves at ease.

Then, of course, the last point of the article is definitely relevant.. it's obscenely expensive to live here, which puts a lot of stress on people, which is certainly going to influence happiness. But according to the article, it's mostly due to the lack of social connections that people report being less happy here.

...but for us? It might just be perfect! Haha. Absolutely beautiful natural surroundings of mountains, beaches, rivers, forests etc + STEM jobs... and 2.x million people who can't be bothered to say hello. :P

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 3:52 pm

I guess if you have a well paying job it wouldn't be so bad, but I currently have a friend who is struggling to get by there because of how expensive the living costs are and it sounds really awful.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 4:37 pm

vercingetorix451 wrote:
I guess if you have a well paying job it wouldn't be so bad, but I currently have a friend who is struggling to get by there because of how expensive the living costs are and it sounds really awful.

Very few people have, relatively, well paying jobs here. That's why we have the 2nd least affordable real estate on the planet - home prices : local incomes. Doctors, lawyers, engineers etc who earn "good" salaries still struggle with affordability & are unable to buy homes in the city. Regular people, the vast majority, all really struggle financially. Some more so than others. The typical Vancouverite is the definition of paycheque to paycheque.

Many of my coworkers work second jobs. It's partially an industry thing since most of us are part time, but also out of financial necessity. Rent prices are... absurd. A friend just posted a room for rent in a house shared by 6 people.. the rent price for a bedroom & shared accommodations? $650/month.

Still, I'd rather struggle and be poor here than relocate. It's beautiful here. The things I love about this place don't cost much money at all to enjoy. Beaches, parks, mountains etc only cost gas/bus fare (and sometimes pay parking) to get to. I live with family in the suburbs and pay really cheap rent. I don't go out much. I work as much as I can. My car has ~470k kms on it. My clothes come from thrift shops. I save and invest vs. spend. I'm extremely frugal. etc. So, even in this ultra expensive economic black hole of a city I'm actually gaining a bit of wealth, slowly but surely.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 7:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
And here's further evidence; Vancouver rated as unhappiest city in Canada!

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/vanc ... on-survey/

Read the article, basically it's unhappiest due to lack of social interactions and community involvement. We have evolved an entire culture of people who keep to themselves. We have the highest rate of single people living solo in small condos in the entire country. Neighbours don't talk to each other... etc - Aspie bliss! :lol:

FYI (IMO) this is all largely because 1/3rd of Vancouverites were born outside of the country & so many people don't speak English and go into defensive mode vs. get to know the people around them mode. We have a mix from poor refugees to ultra wealthy Chinese (more of these in recent years than any other ethnic group) who come from such diverse backgrounds that they don't mix very well. They don't fight, they just don't talk to each other. So many people fear what they don't understand.. and they literally put up security gates on their properties and over their front doors to keep people out vs. making friends with their neighbours to put themselves at ease.

Then, of course, the last point of the article is definitely relevant.. it's obscenely expensive to live here, which puts a lot of stress on people, which is certainly going to influence happiness. But according to the article, it's mostly due to the lack of social connections that people report being less happy here.

...but for us? It might just be perfect! Haha. Absolutely beautiful natural surroundings of mountains, beaches, rivers, forests etc + STEM jobs... and 2.x million people who can't be bothered to say hello. :P

Haha indeed. It would not surprise me if Aspies feel differently then 98% of the population.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman