Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Apr 2015, 6:12 pm

alex wrote:
Candor wrote:
Well I'm neurotypical, but let me just point out that you're talking about approximately 3.5 billion women in the world, and even if the 1/100 statistic for austism holds true, you're still talking about 3.4ish billion people. Do you think, statistically, that all of those people are insensitive?

Or is it possible that instead of being every woman being insensitive, there's just a miscommunication going on?

And why just women? Is it because you were rejected romantically?

My mother used to tell me if I met one jerk in a day, that person was a jerk. If I met nothing but jerks in a day, chances are I was the jerk.

Wow I've never heard that saying before but it's so true! Your mom is right.

That's usually true, but...

When I was younger, everyone I met was a jerk and I wondered what was wrong with me. Then I grew up and moved away and realized that other places had nice people.

To answer the OP's question, I haven't observed NT women to be any less sensitive than the average (which can admittedly be pretty insensitive for anyone who is different). NT women seem much more likely to show sensitivity, probably due to socialization, but as best I can tell are no more or less likely than average to care about others.

Aurelia_aurita
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2015, 7:04 pm

rugulach wrote:
Do you think NT girls/women are insensitive?

I'd like both AS men and women to chime in on this.

that's a pretty sweeping generalization

some people are insensitive, some aren't

gender and autism have nothing to do with it

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

I've met some really wonderful NT women and women on the spectrum. In any group of people, there are going to be ass holes and there are going to be more reasonable folks. Granted, I find it easier to relate to and communicate with other people on the spectrum and as such I have had more issues with NT women than ASD women. Though the some goes for men.

So, to answer your question, I find some NT women to be extremely insensitive and cannot tolerate their company, but I think some NT women are really quite nice.

Aurelia_aurita
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2015, 7:44 pm

what I'd like to know is why it matters if they're NT or not. is it because they're different from you? :s

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2015, 8:06 pm

Aurelia_aurita wrote:
what I'd like to know is why it matters if they're NT or not. is it because they're different from you? :s

Yeah.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:31 pm

rugulach wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

Yes, it outwardly appears psychopathic in nature, but it's not true psychopathy. Emotions and other inputs from the subconscious can only be suppressed for a limited amount of time.

That is still enough time to wreak havoc in a victim's life. All right, call it temporary psychopathy then... Just like temporary insanity is not true insanity but still is insanity.

It's not just that it's temporary - it's also situation-specific. The person might act psychopathic at work while being a loving and kind parent, for example. True psychopathy is present in all situations, even if the person might successfully hide it at times.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm

Some are, some aren't, just like every other demographic.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 11:16 am

Ettina wrote:
rugulach wrote:
olympiadis wrote:

Yes, it outwardly appears psychopathic in nature, but it's not true psychopathy. Emotions and other inputs from the subconscious can only be suppressed for a limited amount of time.

That is still enough time to wreak havoc in a victim's life. All right, call it temporary psychopathy then... Just like temporary insanity is not true insanity but still is insanity.

It's not just that it's temporary - it's also situation-specific. The person might act psychopathic at work while being a loving and kind parent, for example. True psychopathy is present in all situations, even if the person might successfully hide it at times.

Correct. It's very common in certain professions like the military. The current environment or system one is operating in exerts a great amount of control over the types of schemas that are employed by individuals.
Here it is worth referencing (once again) the discoveries made during the Milgram experiments, Asch conformity tests, and the Stanford prison experiment.

It certainly does not require one to be a true psychopath, or even detachment as a defence mechanism for individuals to adopt psychopathic type traits.