Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

1 week out from NO Disability last 2 checks supposed to be May & June. I've looked at 30+ online jobs and googled and googled and researched sites from here etc. I signed up for an online Apple job. No offense to anyone but I do live in Florida so it shouldn't take long to find something. I need to do Target and perhaps Publix (a grocer in this state) They are opening a super size store in the Fall but 1 week out searching searching searching I'm tired/drained/anxiety/sort of depressed and feel defeated!

Sort of felt good to jump back into a video game (which I haven't played any in a week). but I don't want that to be 6 months out playing Mario and no money for Christmas gifts come December. As some of you may know from recent posts age 29 no job experience outside a bad 3 month Mcdonald's experience in 06. It scared me away from ever getting a job. 18-21 I didn't look for a job 21-29 on Disability and I feel 1 week out super stressed I'VE HAD ENOUGH!! !! ! :-(

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2015, 7:57 pm

The good news is, you're already doing what you need to be doing, which is applying. Getting a job is a numbers game, and I know many people who are feeling your pain right now. Keep applying, you will eventually get results. I would say once you reach 50 applications, if you haven't got a single interview, then you should hire a career counselor to find out where the problem is. The few hundred dollars that can cost would be well spent if you can work a few kinks out and get a job. That said, you're still a long way from there. Keep strong, and best of luck finding something.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

Until you get one.

Giving up after 1 week makes you a serious lightweight and if you never get anywhere in life it will be the fact that you give up too easily that causes it, not your AS.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 8:17 pm

I use LinkedIn, Indeed.com, MITalent.org (Michigan job bank), Craigslist (yeah there are legit jobs on here), this weekend (If I feel up to it) will be using my alumni network, Beta Gamma Sigma job bank (it's the business honor society).

I also use Benders virtual career fair, mitalent.org virtual career fair, a few recruiters (one of which is Benders), and in person career fairs via school (that's over now).

I have yet to land job after two years of applying and interviewing...!

You can also try monster.com and careerbuilder.com too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 11:04 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Until you get one.

Giving up after 1 week makes you a serious lightweight and if you never get anywhere in life it will be the fact that you give up too easily that causes it, not your AS.

It doesn't sound so much like they've given up...more just that the stress/anxiety/depression about it is already getting to them, and they feel like they can't handle a lot more.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:01 am

Keep trying, and it is good to play some video games to destress from job searching and applying, that is really tiring and often depressing.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:41 am

If you've not done so already, try Vocational Rehab and your school's alumni services/career center.

It's normal for someone in your position to have to job search for a long time before finding something.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 6:09 am

I've insisted the UCF college career help but mom insists with no experience I couldn't find a job in CJ (Criminal Justice) go get a Minimum wage job and experience. :-( To see if I could even function socially. UGH! so annoying!! !

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2015, 10:21 am

Working at minimum wage probably should be a last resort. The social skills required at minimum wage jobs are different from professional jobs. I would consider minimum wage jobs to be more socially challenging for an aspie than any profession. It's usually a good idea to jump over the middle skill set and go on to get an advanced degree, where your social skills are less of a liability.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:16 pm

My local grocer Publix helps people with disabilities or so my therapist says so perhaps them with them planning to open a super sized store 5 min. from me in the Fall. Bagging or cashier might not be as stressful BUT NO WAY (if I can help it) do I EVER want to do Fast Food or retail (maybe retail at good hours). My #1 Mcdonald's issue was stress physical stress pushing 50lb. garbage cans etc. come home tired depressed 1 day no work (of a 3 day PT job wasn't enough to recharge myself). Also I'd hope a grocer would be ONE JOB not 5 min. before shift is ending here's a list of 30 things to get done what a headache!! !

I did a few applications and plan to do a few over the weekend then move on from there. It's just stressful. Also a Bachelor in CJ yet NO work experience is an issue and socially if I could handle it not sure. I passed for NT at Mcdonald's some what. Thanks

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

Keep trying thinks. Ask everyone you know if they are aware of any openings. Getting a job is all about connections so it helps to go through your social circle.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:14 am

Quote:

Completely disagree, for someone AS or NT. If you go for a job trial and it is proven to be so completely unsuitable for you that you are convinced after a week, then why subject yourself to more stress by stretching it out? If you persisted and spent years at the same unsuitable job, you might find yourself miserable and stressed and all you've accomplished is wasting years in a position not right for you, when you may have moved on, found something great and been happy with your work.
I'm job hunting too, and beginning to think that a technical job might be the key - going back to school and retraining for a professional job, instead of trying to fit into the blue collar crowd.
Alternatively a job agency or a careers councillor might be able to help you target jobs that would be more suitable for you, possibly helping with costs of courses, licenses or similar. I'd say try for a few weeks in an industry, and if there's still nothing, maybe move on to another area of work.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

This isn't a job trial, it's a search FOR a suitable job.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 5:18 pm

Hi Zelda,

If you don't mind me asking: how come they took away your Disability?

Don't they have some kind of "ticket to work" or something of that nature? Maybe you could use that.

In a way, this might be good. Now you'll get a chance to be more independent than you've been previously.

I'm really proud that you are making the attempt. Like Bnbnyrr says, it's not bad to do stuff you like, as long as you continue searching.

You could always apply in department stores in malls. You could fill out applications in person (by the computer, usually).

I don't remember if you have a license or a car--but that would make things MUCH easier.

I wish you luck, Zelda. When you get the job, you could always come back to us when you feel stressed.