what climate and trees in your area?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:47 am

hot weather, snows once in twenty years. hot and humid. palms, cypresses, a few cactuses here and there, jacarandas, banana trees. long, horrible summer. rains in winter only. not very windy.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 5:13 am

Sounds a bit similar to yours. Do you live in an Mediterranean climate?

Here we have a lot of eucalyptus trees and other hardy trees/plants that withstand dryness very well. Many citrus trees. Lemons, oranges etc seem to grow very well. Palm-looking trees. And we have many jacaranda trees, too. They bloom in November and you see them everywhere.

Summer is hot and dry. Little/no rain from December to March (summer). We have many rainy days in winter. Winter is rather mild compared with many other areas. I've never seen snow here. Even in winter day time temperature is ~18°C. Many windy days regardless of the season.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 5:19 am

Gumtrees and more gumtrees

Hot in summer (which is the storm season), and mild winters

Rain usually around late first quarter/early second, and in the forth when the storms come

Wind depends on time of year and location

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 10:58 am

Netherlands, temperate climate:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 11:06 am

Weather...if you don't like it wait 5 minutes(if you are ever in Colorado it is likely you'll hear at least one person say that but expect it from a lot more). Aside from that we have a full range of seasons rainy spring, hot summer, snow in the winter, dead leaves in the fall.

As for trees we have pine trees and leafy trees lots of different kinds, however most of them are in the mountains or somewhat close to them. When you get out into the plains to the east of the mountains there are more sage plants than trees, if you go more into the desert sort of area to the west of the mountains more dirt and mesas than trees.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Weather...if you don't like it wait 5 minutes(if you are ever in Colorado it is likely you'll hear at least one person say that but expect it from a lot more).

So, Colorado is American for Melbourne (4 seasons in one day) :D

Gets out google maps.

Hey, it really is :cool:
Apart from the lack of nature strips, I could believe I'd been dropped into suburban Melbourne.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:42 pm

Quote:

Wow trollcatman, that is *really* pretty.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

Humid temperate Washington DC. . Broad leaf deciduous trees. Looks like the Amazon jungle in the Summer (kinda feels like it too), gets colorful in the fall, ghostly bare trees in winter. Usually get snow in January and February, but rarely have continuous snow cover.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

I never know exactly what the next season will be like. December was mild and we had no snow at Christmas, but then by New Year we had a ton of snow. Lots of snowstorms, lots of plowing, lots of griping and complaining although winter is probably milder here than it is in most of the country. Can finally see the ground but the snow has been so tightly packed it probably won't be completely gone until June. I know it's spring now because the roads have awful potholes. Like driving over the surface of the moon. Actually saw some pussywillows opened on a tree. Speaking of trees there are mostly evergreen trees, birch, and unsurprisingly, maple. There are some horse chestnut trees planted near my apartment. Of course, you can't eat the chestnuts because they're poisonous. It's very rare to see oak trees around here. I would love to see an oak tree just for the acorns. I might use them to make fun little crafts. By the time it really looks like spring, with blossoms and young leaves on the trees, it will be almost summer. The weather has gotten somewhat warmer but I'm glad it's not too warm, yet. Not looking forward to summer when it will likely be very sticky and humid and even if it isn't overly hot it feels like I'm slowly suffocating and going outdoors provides no relief, even at night. Blackflies. Mosquitoes. I think fall is the most beautiful time of the whole year.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 10:36 am

trollcatman wrote:
Netherlands, temperate climate:

extremely beautiful

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 May 2015, 11:28 am

Well I live in the city and there are a ton of landscaped trees/bushes and tropical palms but it's the Sonoran desert so naturally it would probably look more like this
do

Right now the temperature is like 70 and will get around 80F, it has been a bit hotter than that and has been in the 90s a bit. I don't think we've broken 100 quite yet but soon it will be a lot hotter, in the summer it is usually like 107F and can be like 115F+
sometimes. Its pretty dry but we have a monsoon season where there are big storms, sometimes there are big dust storms called haboobs. In the winter it is really nice, it can get a bit cold but the day time highs are usually always pretty nice compared to most of the rest of the country. Temperatures at night are a lot cooler, less so in the city tho.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 11:49 am

Scattered gum trees. They're starting to get sparse as people have them cut down and removed from their yards. There's still a few areas with bush though (we call them koala corridors). HUGE norfolk pines in the CBD and along the headlands. The odd fig tree in the council reserves. Bidou bush on the beach's sand dunes, a little patch of rainforest alongside one beach surrounded by the usual coastal scrub.

Mild winters, daytime maximum celsius temps in the teens (but we've had subzero overnight before). The occasional frost. Hot summers up in the 30's with average humidity and evening storms. Most of the rain comes late summer/early autumn.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 12:25 pm

Ireland, climate: Spring and Autumn, cold, rain, with some dry days in each month. Summer, highs of 18 to 25C a fairly even split between mild rainy and dry sunny days. Winter... lows of -6 to 0, rain and winter showers, there could easily be 30 straight days of rain in winter. :)
Trees, I live close to many spruce forests, and old forests with native trees, oak, ash, rowan, Scots pine, hazel, birch, willow, plus larch, fir, beech, sycamore and horse chestnut. Walking through woodland at this time of year is beautiful, there is a carpet of native Irish bluebells and wild garlic on the forest floor.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 1:28 pm

Winter: Usually around freezing. Snows quite a bit--but it doesn't usually stay longer than a couple of weeks at a time (Except these past 3 out of 4 years. The winter of 2014-2015 features continuous snow cover from late January to late March).

Spring: Starts off cold and rainy. Then gets summery around May, with a few cool days mixed in. Humidity usually lower than in summer

Summer: Very warm. Somewhat humid, usually. Highs rarely below 27 Celsius. Average around 29 Celsius. Lows rarely go below about 17 Celsius. Usually have at least a couple of periods where we exceed 32 Celsius for about 3-4 days or more; otherwise, 32 or above says are scattered. Some years, we get relief from backdoor cold fronts; other times; we're under the influence of the Bermuda High--where the temperature doesn't fall below 20 Celsius EVER.

Fall: Probably the most pleasant time of the year. Starts off as an extension of summer. Then we get a few less-humid days, with cooler nights. October is very nice, normally--probably the best month out of the year; rarely are there extremes in temperatures. We've had 1 inch or more of snow only ONCE in the past 150 years or so. It rarely snows in November as well--though it's cloudy and unpleasant most of the time. Same with early December, though we could still get sunny days with highs over 15 Celsius.

Vegetation: Mostly deciduous elms, oaks, maples. Some pines. Very forested, if the land is not developed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 1:41 pm

Amity wrote:
Ireland, climate: Spring and Autumn, cold, rain, with some dry days in each month. Summer, highs of 18 to 25C a fairly even split between mild rainy and dry sunny days. Winter... lows of -6 to 0, rain and winter showers, there could easily be 30 straight days of rain in winter. :)
Trees, I live close to many spruce forests, and old forests with native trees, oak, ash, rowan, Scots pine, hazel, birch, willow, plus larch, fir, beech, sycamore and horse chestnut. Walking through woodland at this time of year is beautiful, there is a carpet of native Irish bluebells and wild garlic on the forest floor.

wild garlic?...that would be cool to live somewhere i could just go pick garlic, or is this wild garlic not for eating and just some plant similar to garlic?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 1:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Amity wrote:

wild garlic?...that would be cool to live somewhere i could just go pick garlic, or is this wild garlic not for eating and just some plant similar to garlic?

Yes its edible, but just the leaves and flowers, nice in salads, soups, anything that garlic is normally used in, the taste is more subtle though, its related to the chive family.
Its the white flowered plant above.