Is Childhood Disintegrative Disorder an ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Should Childhood Disintegrative Disorder be an ASD?
It is the Super Saiyan ASD 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
It is a Childhood Dementia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It is a Schizophrenia SD 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
A and B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B and C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A and C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A disorder on its own 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 13

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2015, 3:05 pm

When DSMV came out, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder was rolled into ASD along with Classic Autism, PDD(NOS), and Aspergers. But I heard that some say CDD should be considered on the Schizophrenia spectrum instead. I know ASD regression happens between the ages of 1 and 3 years but CDD up to age 10. In relation between CDD and ASD, CDD is considerd a super saiyan version of ASD. But the name of the book that has CDD regressions is called 'When Autism Strikes'. Is it necessary that Childhood Disintegrative Disorder be considered an ASD?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 4:10 pm

Currently, the preponderance of evidence seems to indicate that CDD is distinct from ASD.
There is a higher rate of epilepsy and epileptiform EEGs in CDD than ASD, even >70% by adulthood.
The disruption of brain development is often global and severe in CDD.
After the regression occurs, the child has many of the behaviors of autism with intellectual disability.
In some cases of CDD, an organic or physical disease or cause is later discovered.
I think that as more research is done, CDD may become further distinct from prototypical subtypes of autism, but subtypes of autism involving intellectual disability or comorbids like epilepsy may be found to be more similar to CDD, perhaps genetically.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2015, 5:17 pm

Like many children with CDD with regression, I was a perfectly normal kid before my regression. I regressed at age 2 1/2 years old and lost speech. I thought what I had then as CDD. They share many similarities like unknown cause and most cases made boys. But however, someone on WP has ensured to me that it was not CDD because if I did, the regression would of been more psychotic like very bad nightmares, hallucinations around the start of the regression. Also, after the regression into CDD, I would of been like Harley Sheffield and lost the skills I had for good. I realized the difference and in fact added more differences between regressive autism and CDD based on my knowledge. First off, CDD patients do not have uneven abilities and special talent in an area like those with Autism or Aspergers. Second, their intellectual levels are more even compared to those with ASD. Lastly, most cases of CDD are usually caused by an accompanying degenerative condition in the same child. For example, a 6 year old Ashkenazi Jew who regresses to CDD is revealed to also have Juvenile Onset Tay Sachs disease, which caused CDD in him. By the way, if you heard of Tay Sachs before, you heard it happens in babies of Jewish, Irish, Amish, French-Canadian, and Louisiana Cajun decent. Actually there are atypical forms of Tay Sachs that happen after infancy, Juvenile Onset and Late Age Onset. Check it out on NTSAD website.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 5:24 pm

What did you lose besides speech?
The case studies of CDD children show really severe loss of skills all-around, and some have hallucinations and severe fear/anxiety.
Your history of losing speech is similar to some other people's that I read about on wp.
But the overall loss of skills did not seem to be severe enough for CDD.
There was one study where they compared adults with ASD vs. CDD to redo diagnosis based on adulthood traits, and the ASD group were again diagnosed with ASD, but CDD group was diagnosed with all kinds of different things.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2015, 8:54 am

When I regressed when I was 2, in addition to losing speech I also lost social reception, I did not want to talk to people I pushed them away and my parents thought I went deaf. I was running around the house flapping my hands. And I was losing Play skills because I picked up Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars and put them around my ear whilw waling in a wierd way instead of playing them the right way before my regression. The important skill lost in CDD is bowel and bladder control, I am not sure if I lost those things but from the day of my regression, I had wierd motor ways like walking on my tippy toes. But still, I say I do/did not have CDD during my regression.
If I TRULY had CDD, I would not have had uneven abilities and I would of also had some progressive nuerodegenerative Disease along with CDD. For example, if I REALLY had Childhood Disintegrative Disorder I would of also had something like Tuberous Sclerosis or either Juvenille Onset or Chronic Tay Sachs Disease. ‎So Juvenille Onset Tay-Sachs Disease is one condition that can indeed cause Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.My back up resource is this:https://www.jewishgenetics.org/tay-sachs-disease, altough CDD is never mentioned in this source, mental deterioation is. With that being said, if I had Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, I would of also been getting paralyzed from a nuerodegenerative disease like Tay Sachs. Also, I would of not survived to adulthood because I would of died from that nuerodegerative disease that caused CDD. According to,https://www.counsyl.com/services/family-prep-screen/diseases/hexosaminidase-a-deficiency, if I had Juvenille Onset Tay Sachs, I would of gone into a vegetative state or died at some point between the ages of 10 and 15. So if I Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, I would of most likely been dead by now. A lot of Theodore Heller's "dementia infantilis" patients had died a few years after their regression from a progressive degenerative conditon like to Tay-Sachs.In 1908, Theodore Heller discovered "dementia infantilis", what we call today Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. So comparing an adult with CDD to an adult with Autism would of been useless in most cases. It would be better to comapare an older child with CDD to an an older child with ASD, because a good amount of CDD patients would of still been alive by that age.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 1:09 pm

Only some CDD people have a disease like Tay-Sachs or other neurodegenerative disease causing their symptoms.
In other cases, no physical cause is ever found, and the people live into adulthood.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2015, 1:46 pm

The other scenario is that if the regression I had when i was 2 was CDD I would be like Harley Sheffield today:Image

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 11:09 am

GoldTails95 wrote:
Lastly, most cases of CDD are usually caused by an accompanying degenerative condition in the same child. For example, a 6 year old Ashkenazi Jew who regresses to CDD is revealed to also have Juvenile Onset Tay Sachs disease, which caused CDD in him. By the way, if you heard of Tay Sachs before, you heard it happens in babies of Jewish, Irish, Amish, French-Canadian, and Louisiana Cajun decent. Actually there are atypical forms of Tay Sachs that happen after infancy, Juvenile Onset and Late Age Onset. Check it out on NTSAD website.

I disagree with this. Tay Sachs is quite different from CDD. I could see it being misdiagnosed, but the course and prognosis are very different. Tay Sachs is fatal, CDD is not. Tay Sachs the regression continues until they lose everything, even the ability to move and breath. CDD it stops at the level of low functioning autism, and their life expectancy appears to be normal. So Tay-Sachs doesn't cause CDD, but in early stages a child with Tay Sachs might be mistaken for having CDD.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2015, 11:50 am

But according to the Wikipedia article on Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Juvenille Onset Tay Sachs, as labeled in the article as a "Lipid Storage Disorder" is considered an associated condition of CDD alongside with Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis from Measles virus, and Tuberous Sclerosis/TSC. It is explained under the "Causes" section of the Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. I assumed that these associated conditions cause Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. So from there, I thought something like Juvenille Onset Tay-Sachs, a lipid storage disorder, might cause CDD and I thought other conditions that could cause CDD are Rett Syndrome (now that it is considered a condition by itself), HIV infection, and Mitochondia Disease.
Then I thought some or most cases of CDD are syndromal, meaning that it is associated with (or possibly) caused by another condition). For example, let's say a normally developing 6 year old Lebanese Christian suddenly regresses into Tay-Sachs disease. In his early stages of Tay-Sachs, he might also have syndromal CDD, which is caused/associated by the condtion, and therefore be like this guy below except that the child also has intellectual disabilities:

Then, later, as the disease progresses, the child might be profoundly intellectually disabled to a state much worse tha severe autism to a point similar to the pixture below, where he can't do anything: Image
Then, in the even later stages, it progresses to this except with a mechanical ventilator:
and then they regress until they die at a very young age.
In 1908, Theodore Heller discovered Childhood Disintegreative Disorder. Back then it was called as Heller named it, "dementia infantilis". He saw that his patients, who looked like someonw with what you call "low functioning autism" had completley normal childhood until some ponit between the ages of 1 and 6, when the dramatically regressed into a state to what you call "low functioning autism". He even saw that a few of her "dementia infantilis" patients in the years later, regressed to an even more disabled state like you saw on the last two pictures above and even died at a very young age from a nuerodegenrative disease like Tay-Sachs. So my impression that syndromal Childhood Disintegrative Disorder is progressive, menaning that it gets wrose over time due to some rare nuerodegenerative disease like Tay Sachs. The cases that you claim that stops at the level similar to the man below and does not regress futher and lives a normal life expectancy is non-syndromal Childhood Disintegrative Disorder:
Could I have mistakened that my impression that associated conditions like Tay-Sachs or Tuberous Sclerosis are the ones that cause Childhood Disintegrative Disorder as Wikipedia stated? Or are they misdiagnosed? Because the main root of CDD, which is from Theodore Heller's original studies of 'dementia infantilis' studies in 1908 seemed to prove me right on my argument. Science could also back up my argument because Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, and Juvenille Onset Tay Sachs all involve abnormalities of the CNS (Central Nervous System).

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2015, 2:35 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
What did you lose besides speech?
The case studies of CDD children show really severe loss of skills all-around, and some have hallucinations and severe fear/anxiety.
Your history of losing speech is similar to some other people's that I read about on wp.
But the overall loss of skills did not seem to be severe enough for CDD.
There was one study where they compared adults with ASD vs. CDD to redo diagnosis based on adulthood traits, and the ASD group were again diagnosed with ASD, but CDD group was diagnosed with all kinds of different things.

I understand now that most if not all cases of CDD are not caused an accompanyed by some rare nuerodegenerative disease.
Getting back to the main topic of this discussion, my type of regression I had and the developmental course before the regression was more like an Owen Suskind-type style of regression (watch from the start to 1:40 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/breaking-th ... ey-movies/), where I had suddenly vanished. The developmental course and the type of regression Owen and I had was actually not the typical, much more common type of autistic regression where there were early delays and later losses and that the regression was much milder and slower. In fact my early development before I regressed at age 2 was even better than my Nuerotypical brother at these ages. Then when I started to regress at the age of 2 1/2 years old, I suddenly stopped talking within a matter of weeks and my parents thought I went deaf because I lost social connection to the real world during my regression. I did not want to talk to people anymore, so I also lost interest in social interaction and I screamed at people who wanted to talk to me and pushed them away from me. And started doing wierd behaviors from my regression like putting Hot Wheels/Matchbox Cars around my ears and jumping around with them. I was also running around the house, jumping and flapping my hands. I also did not sleep and could not calm down during my regression. From the onset of my regression, I had wierd motor skills like I started walking on my tippy toes since I regressed and walked, jumped, and ran in a very akward way. Comparing that with CDD can be really hard especially since the type of autistic regression I had was actually rare and unusual. With that being said, a doctor who knew what CDD is could of diagnosed me with it at time I regressed. And between the time of my regression and the time I improved (I spoke again at 5, diagnosed as Aspergers at age 6), I had fit the criteria for CDD as shown below what i had scored at the time of my regression (what I met is in BOLD letters):
DSM – IV CRITERIA FOR CHILDHOOD DISINTEGRATIVE DISORDER*
A. Apparently normal development for at least the first 2 years after birth as manifested by the presence of age-appropriate verbal and nonverbal communication, social relationships, play, and adaptive behavior.
B. Clinically significant loss of previously acquired skills (before age 10 years) in at least two of the following areas:
Expressive or receptive language. (Lost BOTH)
Social skills or adaptive behavior. (Lost both)
Bowel or bladder control. (Not sure but probably not)
Play.
Motor skills.
C. Abnormalities of functioning in at least two of the following areas:
Qualitative impairment in social interaction (e.g. impairment in nonverbal behaviors, failure to develop peer relationships, lack of social or emotional reciprocity).
Qualitative impairments in communication (e.g. delay or lack of spoken language, inability to initiate or sustain a conversation, stereotyped and repetitive use of language, lack of varied make-believe play).
Restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, including motor stereotypies and mannerisms.
D. The disturbance is not better accounted for by another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or by Schizophrenia. (The developmental course and regression Owen and I had was very unusual for Regressive Autism but usual on regressive course of CDD)
So with these being said, the fact that a doctor who knew CDD could of diagnosed me when I was 2 1/2 with CDD could of also been the case for Owen.
Like I said, that type of regresive autism Owen and I had are quite rare in reality it's just that the Conservatives want to make it look like if it is very common especially my parents who blame the vaccines (and we wonder why there was a measles outbreak in some part of the nation just months ago).

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2015, 3:33 pm

So the Owen Suskind type of regression Owen and I had could be a bridge linking CDD to ASDs. But the reason many kids with CDD have very bad outcomes is because they regress at later ages (from after age 3 or 4 and up to age 10 vs 2 1/2 to 3 years for Owen and I). The minumin age limit for CDD regression should be raised from 2 to 3 or 4. But the type of autistic regression Owen and I had is quite rare like CDD.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 10:50 pm

Rare regressive disorder is not autism, new findings suggest

Quote:
“In everything we’ve done, from the genetics to the eye-tracking to the fMRI, we’re seeing differences from broader autism spectrum,” says Gupta.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2015, 9:45 am

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... ppear.html

Watch the video from start to 1:57 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/breaking-th ... ey-movies/

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/viewp ... e-disorder

The early developmental and regressive course that Owen Suskind and I had were quite similar to CDD in the fact that Owen and I lost a lot of skills like a kid with CDD. The fact that the early developmental course and type of regression that Owen and I had is actually very rare kind of seems like a connection to CDD. And between the time of the regression and the time of the improvement (I was diagnosed Aspergers at age 6, spoke again at 5), Owen Suskind and I had actually fit the criteria for CDD at that time. A doctor who know CDD could of diagnosed me when I was 2 1/2 and Owen Suskind when he was almost 3 with CDD. That is how hard it is to tell whether Owen and I had the very unusual way of regressing into autism or actually had CDD because the very similar and both are very rare so the dramatic CDD regressions can occur at the same age as or younger than Owen and I, when he and I regressed into autism. Another reason why it is better to compare autistic people like me and Owen Suskind to CDD patients during adulthood, where they are A LOT of differences.
But I heard the reason why regression is worse and more dramatic in CDD is because the regression occurs at an older age. The older the regression, the worse it is. The 8 year old that regressed in the article you showed me was scratching his body and saying "I'm Scared." Owen Suskind when he was almost 3 and I when I was 2 1/2 by contrast simply vanished. What specifically distinguishes CDD patients from autsitic people like Owen and I?