Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

squatterandtheant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 7:36 pm

Flagg wrote:
squatterandtheant wrote:
If you read my post you will see its was reminising about simplier times and simplier problematic technology and forgotten snack foods!

Back when Freddy Kruger was still awesome.

Now you're talking!

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 10:01 pm

im all worried imma get something on the scree now :( how do u clean them?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

24 Mar 2007, 10:06 pm

Usually "a moist cloth" will do the trick. But because LCDs aren't as shiny, you don't have to clean them as often.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 5:58 am

CRT still delivers a better picture but the difference id getting smaller and smaller. i have an LCD monitor because i don't like the whistle noise that a CRT can make

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 6:06 am

Interestingly, I was trying to find a way to get my PS2 to display pictures onto my LCD Monitor. We went into town and asked around at Dicksmith (lol, I won't crack and blacksmith private parts jokes) and found that RGB cables are different to what a monitor uses (like a Mac trying to communicate with Windows). BUT there was one system which plays PS1/2 games which has the correct output... a PS3, which I'll be getting soon ($800 out of the $1200!)

If anyone knows an alternative and cheaper way to do it, please, PLEASE tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

In a way
We all go there

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 8:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
Interestingly, I was trying to find a way to get my PS2 to display pictures onto my LCD Monitor. We went into town and asked around at Dicksmith (lol, I won't crack and blacksmith private parts jokes) and found that RGB cables are different to what a monitor uses (like a Mac trying to communicate with Windows). BUT there was one system which plays PS1/2 games which has the correct output... a PS3, which I'll be getting soon ($800 out of the $1200!)

If anyone knows an alternative and cheaper way to do it, please, PLEASE tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is not much help but am sure there is a adapter which allows the console to be used with a monitor,am remember seeing it in a magazine a few years ago,think lik sang sold it [they were closed down by SONYs selfishness though] ,possibly began with a V..

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 8:48 am

We tried looking for one of those, but alas, they don't sell those anymore as HDTV is taking over...

In a way
We all go there

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 4:41 pm

KBABZ wrote:

i have a media center PC. i plug my nintendo wii into 1 of the several inputs on my pc, and my LCD monitor displays it perfect. I also have a TV out and i can display anything off the comp onto the TV. its awesome.

aarghapanda
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2007, 5:47 pm

The best way to clean an LCD in my experience is to get two micro-chamois cloths, wet one with DISTILLED water and evenly wipe around the screen, then dry completely using the dry cloth.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 11:51 pm

matt271 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

i have a media center PC. i plug my nintendo wii into 1 of the several inputs on my pc, and my LCD monitor displays it perfect. I also have a TV out and i can display anything off the comp onto the TV. its awesome.

I don't think I have a computer as fancy as yours is!

In a way
We all go there

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Mar 2007, 12:47 am

i recently got a new computer, i dont know what kind of screen it has but it is very clear!

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 12:50 am

I got a 19" widescreen to setup as a second monitor for my laptop.

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2007, 2:01 am

Flagg wrote:
squatterandtheant wrote:
If you read my post you will see its was reminising about simplier times and simplier problematic technology and forgotten snack foods!

Back when Freddy Kruger was still awesome.

Freddy Kruger is still awesome I don't care what anyone says I have all of his movies, all of the Friday the 13th movies and the childs play movies, chucky the killer doll anyone?

aarghapanda wrote:
The best way to clean an LCD in my experience is to get two micro-chamois cloths, wet one with DISTILLED water and evenly wipe around the screen, then dry completely using the dry cloth.

Distilled means pure, the rag is cleaned in tap water, when water evaporate its leaves all of the impurities on the cloth and when distilled water is put on the rag it once again absorbs those particles and becomes equal to that of tap water. Your just waisting a 95 cents on a bottle of water since you can get just as much from your sink for around a nickle?

aarghapanda
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2007, 5:25 am

The reason I use distilled is because tap water has salts in it which can discolour the screen over a long period

Photon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2007, 6:58 am

LCD and colour TFT LCD displays used to be a long obsession of mine, but since it's popularity has increased it no longer seems hi-tech anymore.
My obsession with LCD displays began when I was 10 or 11, I was given a simple casio calculator and was fascinated with how the text were made visible on the screen, I also imagined that it was a handheld computer.
When I was 14 I bought a simple pocket organiser that had monochrome pixels that displayed three different shades, I was fascinated with how it was able to display text by arranging the pixels to make them visible and almost 3d, I've now learned that this process is called subpixel rendering.
I also became obsessed with the introduction of mobile phones in the late 90's, since these devices gave great use to the LCD monochrome display market and subsequently pushed the technology of LCD's futher. When I was 16 I saw my first colour LCD display in a camcorder, my eyes almost melted at the sight of this thin colourfull vibrant display that imitated the information from the lens
When I was 18 and had the money the spend of things, I purchases my first colour display device, It was HP jornada MS Pocket PC with a 256 colour display. I didn't relalise untill that moment that LCD displays had a restricted colour palette.
A year later I bought my first compact digital camera with a LCD display, it was expensive at the time since it had only been introduced in the market for 2 years, the display was excellent but in todays standards it would be described as being power consuming, low resolution screen and low magapixel CMOS.
In that year colour displays with a palette of 256 were introduced into mobile phones and then it evolved into higher colour palette with built in cameras and then moved into TV/PC markets for viewing. I've followed the history right through becuase my obsession has been follwing its growth,evolution and technology development since its early days as a monchrome watch.
I just loved the way the LCD display pixelated images and text with great clarity and how each pixel displays an individual colour to manipulate a each pixel into an image, I wanted to know how they managed to create a great palette of colours on each pixel, back then it seemed such a fascination that I could own a LCD that recreated an image from an LCD lens.
I currenly own a Samsung 940 MW LCD computer display/HD TV, standard definition is hindering the potential of my display to use all of its pixels, rather it seens to smear colour like a bad artist.
The familiarity of the technology and the popularity of the colour TFT LCD displays has slowly killed of my fascination with the technology, I've watched the growth but can't see much future for it, it has reached it's potential. I'm now following the technology of e-ink, a new flexible display that doesn't use glass or polarisation to manipulate pixels. I can see this technology taking over LCD in the advertisement displays and portable market where LCD first started off.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 8:15 am

Nice insight into your obsession there Photon!

In a way
We all go there