APA found to be complicit in CIA torture program

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 1:58 am

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-worl ... e-program/
this seems very unsavory to me, and it diminishes my level of trust in members of the profession.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:04 pm

This topic came up at an APA conference a few years ago. https://kunsoo1024.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... hologists/

Some psychologists wanted to ban the involvement of the APA in military interrogations that deprive detainees of their human rights. Regrettably, it was voted down. Makes you really wonder about these guys. I am reminded of the abuse of psychiatry in the Soviet Union: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... viet_Union

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:06 pm

soviet-style abuses are not only soviet-style. it happens here also.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 7:08 pm

And, I am a conspiracy theorist? :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2015, 10:22 pm

Yet the ICD follows the DSM and many here accept the DSM as the only criteria for diagnosing Autism

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 4:52 am

I'm fairly certain the majority APA members would not endorse collaboration with CIA mind/torture methods as it clearly breaches their ethical code of practice and therefore compromises their profession.

Those who choose to collaborate may protect their reputation as their work probably falls under the guise of protecting national security and anti-terrorism. However it's a very very slippery slope and the current evidence suggests that interrogation methods used by the CIA to extract information from prisoners do not yield valuable data anyway.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 12:28 pm

it reinforces in my mind, the prescient wisdom of dr. Thomas Szacz [RIP] who considered much of American psychology in practice as more akin to practical social politics.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 6:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-details-psychologists-role-in-cia-torture-program/
this seems very unsavory to me, and it diminishes my level of trust in members of the profession.

It isn't the first time. Dr. Ewen Cameron worked for the CIA and later became the president of the APA.

"The frequent screams of the patients that echoed through the hospital did not deter Cameron or most of his associates in their attempts to depattern their subjects completely."
- John D. Marks

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:11 pm

"depatterning"=brainwashing or mind erasing. some of the worst evils are predicated on deceptive language.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-details-psychologists-role-in-cia-torture-program/

Psychologists largely have designed these techniques.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:06 pm

I don't know how a lot of those folks can not be fearful of being called to account [in a higher venue] for their work assisting torture?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I don't know how a lot of those folks can not be fearful of being called to account [in a higher venue] for their work assisting torture?

The 'higher venue' hire them specifically to develop these techniques.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 4:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
it reinforces in my mind, the prescient wisdom of dr. Thomas Szacz [RIP] who considered much of American psychology in practice as more akin to practical social politics.

It isn't the first time. Dr. Ewen Cameron worked for the CIA and later became the president of the APA.

auntblabby wrote:
"depatterning"=brainwashing or mind erasing. some of the worst evils are predicated on deceptive language.

It's probably relevant that prominent French psychologist Alfred Binet was a champion of the Eugenics movement which ironically provided the intellectual doctrine for the fledgling fascist movement in Germany that evolved into Nazism. '

Many sympathetic German psychologists were essential in the formulation of Nazi party strategies that gave rise to public policy doctrines. It's strange virtually nothing has been published about their role? without psychologists you cant create mass movements such as communism or fascism.

In this respect the contribution of psychologists to various CIA programs should barely come as a surprise.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 4:37 am

Protogenoi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Protogenoi wrote:

"The frequent screams of the patients that echoed through the hospital did not deter Cameron or most of his associates in their attempts to depattern their subjects completely."
- John D. Marks

While most psychologists wouldn't work for the CIA, there is no doubt they could not develop strategies without the aid of psychologists. Doctrines such as fascism and communism might have been written by philosophers such as Nietzsche and Marx, but the implementation of policy needed psychologists and their work such as the eugenicist Alfred Binet.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 10:29 am

Lets not forget that the CIA also employees many psychologists directly as regular staff agents.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2015, 2:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lets not forget that the CIA also employees many psychologists directly as regular staff agents.

While not a psychologist, the story of bacteriologist, biological warfare scientist and CIA employee Frank Olson, Ph.D., ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Olson ) is interesting.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)