Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kingjim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2007, 2:20 pm

Gilb wrote:
i was thinking about this wouldn't there be a problem with getting a negative voltage across a digital circuit because doesn't a transistor also act effectively as a diode?

I'm no electrician, but wouldn't you have to double the transistors in the circuit with a + and a -. So it seems to me like a negative benefit level... pun intended.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 3:44 pm

Gilb wrote:
i was thinking about this wouldn't there be a problem with getting a negative voltage across a digital circuit because doesn't a transistor also act effectively as a diode?

The main resemblance between a transistor and a diode is that, like a diode, a transistor will show a fixed voltage drop across it -- around 0.5 volts in the case of a germanium device, and 0.7 in the case of silicon. But I think I get what you're saying, a single transistor type, NPN or PNP, is only good for (relatively) positive or negative voltages, not both. Trinary/Ternary circuits do require higher transistor counts, all else being equal. A stickier problem is that it's hard to fabricate PNP and NPN transistors which have similar enough characteristics that they would work together without any performance penalty.

kidwiththereplaceablehead
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2007, 7:49 am

i can't tell you youll steal it