Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2015, 9:00 pm

I was wondering if any Aspies here had any thought/experiences/suggestions to share on the idea of leaving ones' parents' house and living alone.

I won't go into much detail, but I'm 24 years old, currently live with my Mother, and am considering moving to somewhere on my own.

I've been looking at flats on some property websites and in the newspaper, and to be honest, I find just looking to be stressful. Possibly more stressful than it is living here at the moment. So I'm not sure whether I would cope with moving out or not. Also, I don't work (I claim ESA), so I would have to deal with housing benefit etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but I think I just needed a little rant :).

KaylamiYarne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2015, 9:03 pm

You're moving out without a job?

Edit: I can't give any advice but I must say I wish I had half your courage.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 9:13 pm

KaylamiYarne wrote:

Sounds like they get benefits though...I imagine it would be similar to SSI/SSDI here, so that is an income of sorts.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2015, 9:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
KaylamiYarne wrote:

Sounds like they get benefits though...I imagine it would be similar to SSI/SSDI here, so that is an income of sorts.

Yeah, I currently get ESA which is a disability related unemployment benefit. If I lived on my own, I'd be able to get Housing Benefit, which would cover the rent. It wouldn't be a lot, but would probably be enough to manage.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2015, 7:24 pm

Just wondering if anyone else here has any thoughts?

Not sure I'd cope too well with finding a new place of my own. It sucks that I don't have a boyfriend whom I could live with :(.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2015, 2:56 am

steve30 wrote:
I was wondering if any Aspies here had any thought/experiences/suggestions to share on the idea of leaving ones' parents' house and living alone.

I won't go into much detail, but I'm 24 years old, currently live with my Mother, and am considering moving to somewhere on my own.

I've been looking at flats on some property websites and in the newspaper, and to be honest, I find just looking to be stressful. Possibly more stressful than it is living here at the moment. So I'm not sure whether I would cope with moving out or not. Also, I don't work (I claim ESA), so I would have to deal with housing benefit etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but I think I just needed a little rant :).

Hello

If you are only on ESA, then you'll only get the Shared Room Rate of Local Housing Allowance, if you're also on Medium Care DLA, then you'll get the one-bed allowance.

If you need a carer then you'll be entitled to two-bed allowance. Note, the carer doesn't need to be registered with the DHSS (or whatever they're called) this week, but you'll have to prove you need one and send in their info of their details / address IE their Council Tax bill.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 3-2011.pdf points 28 & 34