What should I do? – Career progression

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Lonehiker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2015, 3:39 am

I would like really appreciate some advice on how to move forward with my career.

I have been teaching at a college for almost 3 years. My role is as both a teacher’s assistant and part time lecturer. Although I am teaching my favourite subject (electronics), I am getting very stressed and anxious. I really struggle with class behaviour, the classes are big and the noise level is too much for me. I am just not happy; I need quiet and solitude to be productive.

I have stuck it out for two reasons. It was the only decent paying job I could get at the time, and I will soon complete a teacher qualification (degree equivalent), that I have undertaken as part of my job.

Now I have a few options.

1) Full time lecturer – I strongly think I will be offered this role, which will come with a big pay rise, but I am unsure if I will like the role.

2) Masters in teaching English to students of other languages – I like one – to – one / small group teaching and want to do private tutoring. I have been learning Japanese for a few years and would like to teach English abroad in Japan.

3) Employment in engineering – I have no real world experience in the topic I teach! As I got the job at college after being a student there. I have no bachelor’s degree in this field, so I will very likely be on much less than my current job.

4) Self employed engineer – I have thought of setting up my own business, making electronic circuits. I wanted to do a trial run but don’t have the time, or more importantly, the energy from work.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2015, 3:19 pm

Well, I think you pretty much answered the question yourself. You career opportunities seem very realistic, and with college teaching on your CV, you have good chances for an academic job. I think you should go for number 2 - if the teaching style is better for you, and it's in your field of interest, go for it! Also the opportunity to travel to other countries - if you like that sort of thing. I know I would ;)