My son keeps touching other peoples stuff in class

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

croft210
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2007, 4:29 pm

I have a 12 year old with a recent diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome and generally he is not doing too bad, we've learnt loads in the last year and are getting to understand each other alot better - however on a daily basis I have reports coming home from school that he keeps touching the other kids pencil cases, moving things, pushing stuff on the floor, hiding things etc, this is obviously getting him into loads of trouble and whilst i have tried my hardest to explain to him that this kind of thing just is not acceptable he still continues to do them virtually every day. Does anyone have any hints for how we can overcome this, or how i can explain things to make him stop. I did get him a tangle toy so he had something to fiddle with other than the other kids stuff but the first time he used it in class he got into trouble for that too and was told to put it away. Schools attitude is that he has to fit in and because he behaves perfectly in some lessons they can't understand why he doesn't behave that way in all lessons. Thanks very much in anticipation of any advice anyone can give

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 10:13 pm

He'll learn eventually. Granted, this might be from pissed off classmates beating the crap out of him, but he'll learn.

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2007, 5:00 am

Im 16 years old, and i still behave like that in some classes, not to be a general pain to others, but simply because i am bored with that subject.

Ask your son if he is finding some subjects boring, and then talk to the school about it and see if you can change some of his lessons to something that he finds more interesting.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:26 am

if it's truly become problematic, what about some sort of small reward for keeping his hands to himself

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2007, 6:02 am

he is most likely doing it because other people are doing it to him

Stop talking trash

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2007, 12:14 pm

My 11 y/o son does this too. Part of the reason is he doesn't have good impulse control. Another part is that he is bored in the class or because that part of the class has become unstructured and he doesn't know what to do with himself. Plus, he has ADHD, so that can be thrown in as well.

We put this into his Behavioral Plan in the IEP we set up with the school. He is allowed to have a stress ball to fiddle with, and they give him rewards for keeping his hands to himself. We still have problems, but with maturity and the behavioral plan, things are getting better.