Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 2:19 am

Norny wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Let's say the entire world was autistic aside from say a 2% NT minority, who do you think would need to see a therapist for their "disorder"? The entire directive of mental health services is to "get you better" so you can "integrate" and "be productive" in "normal" society. Our brains are different, they aren't inherently broken, or bad, or any other negative concept pumped out by society. The fact that we don't fit the norm is the only reason it's a disorder (notice how negative the connotation of the word is).

Some people with severe autism smear feces on the walls and make animal noises. How is that not a disorder? You seem to neglect the fact that it was once (not sure if it still is) a majority of autistics that had severe LFA rather than HFA.

Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, but what makes a disorder?

Defining disorders based entirely upon a hypothetical population makes no sense, as it has no basis in our reality. A planet full of schizophrenics would still be dysfunctional. The fact that NTs may also have negative traits isn't an argument for 'neurotypical disorder'.

Alternatively, take every word in the dictionary and apply it any other imagined scenario.

I make animal noises mostly specifically cat noises....and sometimes other random noises, but I do not smear feces on the wall. Not entirely sure why the former would have to be a disorder per say, does it really hurt anyone if someone wants to make animal noises? And for a non-verbal individual what if they find they are able to express some of what they feel via different animal noises different attempts aside from the norm to communicate should be encouraged rather than discouraged and 'corrected' at least in my opinion......The feces smearing on the other hand could be quite unsanitary and smell bad so that would certainly be a disordered behavior no matter how you slice it. Perhaps if such an individual needs to smear something on walls some finger paints or something that are washable...or set up a wall they can smear it on that doesn't have to be lost for instance would be something they could be re-directed towards.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 2:19 am

Acceptance or rejection have no bearing on whether or not you have autism. Also, whose business is it whether or not you have it, anyway? I tell people I have it on a need to know basis. That means that I only tell who I want to tell. I'll tell a close friend maybe, because I may decide to explain some of my quirks and let them know that I'm aware of certain things about myself and that it's fine to point when I'm being annoying because I'm very aware of that potential. I might tell my doctor if I think that it's important for him to understand why I choose a particular treatment or why a specific symptom or side effect of something is more disturbing to me than to most people. Otherwise, why would I tell anyone at all? It's no more their business than it would be whether or not I have menopause or athlete's foot or depression.

However, I want to also point out that your level of severity is going to be a factor in whether or not people are going to treat you differently or wonder whats up with you to begin with. If you have very obvious symptoms then it's going to be useless to pretend they don't exist, and might be simpler to just casually explain to someone about it and that you are aware of it and it's not a big deal. Mainly, it's going to be as big a deal as you make of it, and how you handle yourself is going to be the long term factor in how people treat you. They may treat you funny at first when they first meet you and find out you have it, but after they see how you behave then they will start to get a clue that it's not something horrible to use against you. Mostly, they probably just don't know what to expect. You say "autism" to the average guy on the street and he's going to think of a barely communicating kid in a helmet, or possibly some oddball genius nerdy type. Just like anything else, it's got it's stereotype and image, and until more people start seeing regular folks that have it, they aren't going to know what to actually expect.

Of course I could go around telling everybody that I have it and hoping that might make them realize that the typical media portrayal of an autistic lady is way off base, but I don't want to deal with having to constantly prove to them that I have a normal IQ, I'm not about to lose it in the grocery store because they are out of cream cheese, and I can feed myself just fine thank you. I kind of get what you are saying, because it's the image of autism that probably causes most people who aren't obvious to go stealth with it like that.

It's really up to you, but keep in mind that rejecting your diagnosis won't do shinola. What you need to reject instead is the idea that it's anybody else's business what you have or don't have.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 2:53 am

Aristophanes wrote:
I forgot: On these forums I've read more than one claim that NT's are sociopaths. Well, that's because they are, but if the world is full of sociopaths then it is by default normal and not a disorder.

Cbf replying to your other post because reading this made me realize it would be an utter waste of time

the delusion, christ almighty

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 2:56 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Norny wrote:
Some people with severe autism smear feces on the walls and make animal noises. How is that not a disorder? You seem to neglect the fact that it was once (not sure if it still is) a majority of autistics that had severe LFA rather than HFA.

I make animal noises mostly specifically cat noises....and sometimes other random noises, but I do not smear feces on the wall. Not entirely sure why the former would have to be a disorder per say, does it really hurt anyone if someone wants to make animal noises? And for a non-verbal individual what if they find they are able to express some of what they feel via different animal noises different attempts aside from the norm to communicate should be encouraged rather than discouraged and 'corrected' at least in my opinion......The feces smearing on the other hand could be quite unsanitary and smell bad so that would certainly be a disordered behavior no matter how you slice it. Perhaps if such an individual needs to smear something on walls some finger paints or something that are washable...or set up a wall they can smear it on that doesn't have to be lost for instance would be something they could be re-directed towards.

Nothing is wrong with making animal noises on its own. I presume that when I read about severe LFA (a long time ago) the noises referred to would have been obnoxiously loud or something like that.

I have times where I meow like a cat etc. - it's all good fun.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

21 May 2015, 3:15 am

It seems like some people let the autism diagnosis define them. People are all different, and I just started saying I have social anxiety if they ask why I'm so quiet sometimes. If you feel like the diagnosis is doing you more harm than good, then I understand why you want to reject it. I also don't understand these negative attitudes towards NTs. They're not all sociopaths, or I wouldn't have any friends at all. Some people in general just make humans look bad.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 3:17 am

I don't think it's a good thing to be negative about your diagnoses, I just also don't see the point in celebrating them.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:08 am

Norny wrote:
I don't think it's a good thing to be negative about your diagnoses, I just also don't see the point in celebrating them.

I think you completely missed the point. It's not bad or good: the majority neurology is the default neurology, outside that neurology is a "disorder". Society has to have order, anything outside the norm is disruptive and disorder. I mean is the concept really that hard to grasp?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:30 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Norny wrote:

I think you completely missed the point. It's not bad or good: the majority neurology is the default neurology, outside that neurology is a "disorder". Society has to have order, anything outside the norm is disruptive and disorder. I mean is the concept really that hard to grasp?

Yes it's hard to grasp because no matter what society you had there'd still be problems.. except in your hypothetical perfect world, which is entirely irrelevant.

That post wasn't referring to anything you had said anyway.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:46 am

Norny wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Norny wrote:

Yes it's hard to grasp because no matter what society you had there'd still be problems.. except in your hypothetical perfect world, which is entirely irrelevant.

That post wasn't referring to anything you had said anyway.

Yes, there would still be problems, there's always problems. The fact that society is intolerant of difference is the problem, not any individual group that doesn't fit the mold. The reason the OP is no longer identifying with autism has nothing to do with the disorders itself, it has to do with the way society treats him for the label-- if you look past why you can then develop true self-esteem without the approval of others. That's the point of the discussion. Value yourself, regardless of what other people say about you.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 11:10 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, there would still be problems, there's always problems. The fact that society is intolerant of difference is the problem, not any individual group that doesn't fit the mold. The reason the OP is no longer identifying with autism has nothing to do with the disorders itself, it has to do with the way society treats him for the label-- if you look past why you can then develop true self-esteem without the approval of others. That's the point of the discussion. Value yourself, regardless of what other people say about you.

Society is also intolerant of as*holes, but in an imaginary hypothetical world they'd be considered nice. Hooray! :jester:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 12:13 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, there would still be problems, there's always problems. The fact that society is intolerant of difference is the problem, not any individual group that doesn't fit the mold.

Taking all your comments together, are you implying that NONE of the currently classified mental disorders and/or pervasive developmental disorders is in any way harmful in and of itself? That they are ONLY problematic in terms of not being the norm?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 1:59 pm

starkid wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, there would still be problems, there's always problems. The fact that society is intolerant of difference is the problem, not any individual group that doesn't fit the mold.

Taking all your comments together, are you implying that NONE of the currently classified mental disorders and/or pervasive developmental disorders is in any way harmful in and of itself? That they are ONLY problematic in terms of not being the norm?

I'm implying they are perfectly natural, the way we perceive them is not. That perception creates more harm to the individual in many cases than the actual disorder itself. Many times the self injury behavior of a mentally "ill" patient isn't created by the illness itself, but messages the individual receives from society about the illness. When was the last time you heard of a suicidal person leaving a note that said "I'm offing myself because I fit in so well." It doesn't happen, it's mainly for some perceived "failure" and loss of value in relation to other people. That's not psychology at work that's sociology at work.

Certainly some disorders are harmful to the individual, those that create actual physical harm drawn from the disorder should be treated, there is certainly a place for psychology but not to the purview it is now. Some mental disorders are only disorders because they don't fit the expectations of how a human should behave in current culture. Autistics are an example of this, schizophrenics are an example of this, ADD is an example of this. It does not fit the norm for behavior, it's out of the ordinary and thus a threat to order, thus it's a disorder. It's not that these illnesses are inherently unnatural, any species has a range of diversity, it's that society has created this warped view in which a natural process of diversifying is seen as "unnatural" and thus inherently wrong and bad.

Let me put it this way: evolution doesn't happen in one overnight leap. All the creatures of a new species don't magically pop up out of nowhere. Variations in the genetics of a species are constantly changing, this is the driving process in evolution. Variation is not inherently "unnatural", it's actually inherently "natural". By treating mental illness as something "unnatural" it's easy to discard and dehumanize it.

My "perfect world" scenario, not my word for it by the way, was merely an example demonstrating that "unnatural" vs "natural" is merely a matter of perception.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 5:16 pm

Norny wrote:

Society is also intolerant of as*holes, but in an imaginary hypothetical world they'd be considered nice. Hooray! :jester:

Lol, I think that's the world we're in actually.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 5:32 pm

You need to read more books if you're just going to grab another "label" for yourself.
Here is a review to one of those books that describes the reality of the "health" industry...

Amazon-Review wrote:
I've been a pharmacist since 1971 and I vividly recall a conversation I once had with a drug salesman (called detail man at the time). He explained that his goal was to sell a certain number of dollars worth of one particular drug. He stated that he didn't care whether he sold one pill or a million, as long as the price worked out to his goal. That conversation has stuck with me for over two decades because it was at that moment that I first realized my perception of the drug companies was far different from what people in that industry believed.

Perhaps I was naive, but during pharmacy school and years of work at a large county hospital, I found that I actually believed my profession was honorable and that I was part of a giant team focused on helping people be healthy and get well when illness struck. This was surely the ideal in school, and I assumed things actually operated that way.

Gwen Olsen's book is exactly as the title says, a CONFESSION. She has done a clear, masterful job describing how she unwittingly lived through the horrors of a harmful, dysfunctional family and found herself enmeshed in an industry where she was expected to make sales at any cost. Concern for an ill person was not part of her work paradigm.

The author not only lived through the personal and business issues but exited from both, apparently still intact. After my first reading of "Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher", I described it to friends as terrifying and almost sickening. That description remains valid. More important than the story is the reports of experience, learning, and growth that shaped this author into a perfect spokesperson for all of us who find ourselves in direct opposition to the antics of the drug companies. If I hadn't had direct experience with the issues Olsen describes in her book, I might think she was engaged in fiction, not reporting fact. Sadly, she's right on track. Her tale is still terrifying, but you should read it - maybe more than once. You may begin to understand that it has never been the intent of any drug maker to improve health. Instead, their goal has always been to maximize profits at the expense of health.

P.S.: Asperger's Syndrome is no longer an existing Diagnosis within the DSM ever since its version V came out (not that this version of "psychiatry" was ever based on real science in the first instance).

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 5:35 pm

...then the humans will eventually discover that they were a genetically-engineered species... ;O

Aristophanes wrote:
<stuff about genetics>

Yeah, them genetic-experiments, and under-ground Dulce-bases, man, they are over-powered...

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 7:09 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
...then the humans will eventually discover that they were a genetically-engineered species... ;O
Aristophanes wrote:
<stuff about genetics>

Yeah, them genetic-experiments, and under-ground Dulce-bases, man, they are over-powered...

Lol, I only live about 2 hours from Dulce.