As a child, were you extremely talkative or very quiet?

Page 7 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:09 am

apparently as a child i was extremely talkative if you were someone i knew well, but if i did not know you i wouldn't say a word - not even "hello", much to my mother's horror.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:23 am

Didn't really talk, so very quiet (like now).

The 'net paints a totally different picture of how I am.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2009, 10:28 am

I was always very quiet at school. I still am even now that I'm in college.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:37 am

i never said anything that was uninvited, but if someone invited me to talk, then i barraged them with words.

if no one talked to me i did not notice and i continued to do my activity.

when someone asked me what i was doing, i gave them far too much information and they got tired of my words rather quickly.

i thought that they really wanted to know what i was doing, and i thought they wanted to come into my "world" because they seemed curious and attracted to my internal scenario.

so when they asked me a question about what i was doing, i stated my answer from the foundations, and i carefully filled in each detail pertaining to the development of my present activity, and they really were not THAT interested.

so they would pat me on the shoulder and walk off saying "good work" or some other platitude.

so i oscillated from extended periods of silence to sudden outbursts of information that were curtailed by no ears having the patience to hear me through.

i eventually stopped bothering to respond to people with any consideration when i was about 10.

SilverPikmin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2009, 2:34 pm

I was extremely quiet and I still am. Talking doesn't come naturally to me.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2009, 2:44 pm

It depends what the subject is. If it's something I'm interested in, and with someone I like/know, I can literally go on for hours, if it's something I'm not so interested in, then I probably won't.
I have terrible tendency to correct people as well, you do not want to sit next to me in English XD.
Also, in presentations, you can't get me to shut up, because it's all prepared, and I come across as very confident, and it's about something I like usually. :D.
Oh, and also in debates, can't get me to shut up, I have controversial opinions, and everyone has to adopt them. ROFL.
EMZ=]

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2009, 4:00 pm

I didn't talk because I didn't know how i didn't start to talk when i was 4 years old I had a lot help to learn how to talk.

vintagedoll
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2009, 5:44 pm

All through my life I've been thought of as unusually quiet and extremely shy. As a child I had all the symptoms of what is known as selective mutism. At school I used to read to the teacher, but that was about the only time I ever spoke at school for about the first 2 years I was there. I didn't speak to or interact with the other children. When I got a bit older, around 7 or 8 I did start to talk more at school. I wanted to fit in but wasn't able to. My ways of trying to interact with the other children and get their attention just annoyed them (I didn't have a clue how to) so I eventually withdrew and became silent again.

At home I could be quite talkative when I felt comfortable and safe, and at home I used to talk a lot about whatever I was interested in at the time. But talking was always on my terms. I spoke to hardly anyone outside of the family, and I hardly spoke outside of the family home. I never answered if anyone said hello to me, asked me my name or asked me a question; much to the embarrassment of my family who thought I was being rude.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm

Out of the silence topic

I always said what was on my mind, doing the speech thing, monologues, talking to myself.

My NT daughter had always been quiet. But now, she is a loud, moody and rudey teen. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 7:18 am

My parents claimed I was innoculated with a phonograph needle. I was unable to shut up.

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:15 am

I either didn't speak for days on end, or got obsessed with a subject, and wouldn't shut up. For the first several years the doctors thought I was deaf, because I didn't speak at all. When I finally did start speaking I jumped in with sentences. But apparently it was a long time before I conversed, as opposed to presenting monologues. And even after I was speaking, it was pretty much random whether I was in a talking mood or not. I might spend up to a fortnight at school, and not say a word. And yet, when I learned French, my first nickname was "Moulin a parole." (A bit like a windmill, only words instead.)

The problem seems to be that we can't find the on, or off switch.