does anyone else struggle with time blindness/no nostalgia?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2015, 10:47 pm

i dont know if this comes from being autistic but i dont experience time... its like i am in a world that has no calendar or clock.

most people usually feel a huge gap from 2005 to 2015 but for me i feel the same... i dont see anything from 2005 as any different as 2015 - even events from my life.. i see and hear old details in my mind but i dont know
i just dont seem to experience time and i dont understand nostalgia at all because i dont feel nostalgic for things of the past, cause it doesnt feel like there is any past.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:03 am

I understand nostalgia very well....but except for evolving technology, I don't find 2015 to be very different from 2005. I think there's only a slight difference between the 90s and 2015. I regard 1963 as being quite different from 1965, though.

msnoname
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2015, 6:08 am

I'm a nostalgic person, but for me it's because the past doesn't feel real and I want it to. It's hard for me to explain... When I feel (it's more a feeling than an image) my memories in my head, part of me knows that they happened, but the rest of me is convinced it's just a story or something, and that person is not me. I have never understood why it's like this, nor do I know for sure if it's normal or not because I struggle to explain it properly.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:26 am

Due to my unusually clear memory, I can vividly recall events that happened at any time in my past just like they happened yesterday. Everything feels like it just happened yesterday, even stuff from when I was a very young child. Even totally unimportant details like being able to exactly recall in every detail my walk to school when I was ten years old.

Because my memories are always being added and never fade, it also feels like I've lived for a thousand years. I like it, and I feel sorry for people whose memories fade away and they need photos or mementos to recall their past. It would freak me out to forget anything. I'd feel like I had a mental disease.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 7:17 am

^ I'm just like that as well. I occasionally refer to things that happened in the 1980s as 'recent', much to the puzzlement of some people, I suspect.

Kirjava
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 May 2015, 7:39 am

I have no sense of time.
I have to write down if I need to be somewhere, then set it on my phone.
I need to keep looking at the clock if I need to go out at a particular time.
I have no idea if I've been waiting in a line for two minutes or three quarters of an hour.
I need alarms on my ipad to take medicines at particular times.
I often leave things till it's almost too late because I lost track of time.

As for nostalgia (I had to look it up, a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time) maybe I just don't have any particularly happy time to look back on. Do people usually daydream of going back to some time when they were happy and wish it was real again?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:07 am

I'm a lot like MollyTroubletail also, because all my life I've retained vivid memories of times, places, events and people and even key moments of conversations and other details. In that way, all of my past, any given date, time and place, feels like it happened just yesterday. 2005 or 1993 feels as close to me as yesterday.

I also get this thing where, if a year is mentioned, on the news, in a movie, by someone, etc, my mind will immediately go to where I was, key things I was doing that year, songs, movies and anything else important to me. It's like my memories are a Rolodex or a catalog and my mind does this rapid flip through to any year a person mentions. They may be talking about something else but my mind seems to want to anchor me into what the year meant for me, in order to place myself and then have that conversation. Does everyone have that, and do NTs have that, or is it a spectrum thing?

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2015, 8:19 am

this is what i mean, i mean that because you can revisit those images and details - it seems as if you felt the same and as disconnected while they were happening as you do now, to the point where it feels no different or you wouldnt have any nostalgia to it like say i listen to a song i havent in such a long time i dont really get overwhelmed but if a neurotypical friend gets reminded of something from their past they get so overwhelmed and nostalgic and excited but for me it is all in the same color time is not different colors
do u get me?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:45 am

I do get you, yep. It's like remaining connected to every time-point in your life.

I'll tell you something paradoxical that I have though -- even though I feel this "just like yesterday" thing about all my memories and past years, I can also feel nostalgia. I don't how that works! :? It's like I both have timelessness and also ordinary time. Perhaps sometimes my connection to my "this was recent" fails once in a while and that's when I become susceptible to the nostalgia; later the time thing seals up again.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:47 am

campboy92 wrote:
this is what i mean, i mean that because you can revisit those images and details - it seems as if you felt the same and as disconnected while they were happening as you do now, to the point where it feels no different or you wouldnt have any nostalgia to it like say i listen to a song i havent in such a long time i dont really get overwhelmed but if a neurotypical friend gets reminded of something from their past they get so overwhelmed and nostalgic and excited but for me it is all in the same color time is not different colors
do u get me?

Yeah, there's nothing that clicks emotionally for me by reviewing something from the past. If I hear an old song, it's an old song, but I don't go down some memory chain linking it to all kinds of other unrelated events from the time I first heard it like a lot of people do.

That being said I'm with Kraftie on the last 20 years or so-- aside from some technological gains nothing really seems different at all. I was a young child in the 80's and the 80's and early 90's do seem like a different time, but since the mid-90's it's like culture has become completely stagnant.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2015, 11:05 am

Aristophanes wrote:
campboy92 wrote:
do u get me?

Yeah, there's nothing that clicks emotionally for me by reviewing something from the past. If I hear an old song, it's an old song, but I don't go down some memory chain linking it to all kinds of other unrelated events from the time I first heard it like a lot of people do.

That being said I'm with Kraftie on the last 20 years or so-- aside from some technological gains nothing really seems different at all. I was a young child in the 80's and the 80's and early 90's do seem like a different time, but since the mid-90's it's like culture has become completely stagnant.

EXACTLY ! !! !! !! !!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:13 am

It's all about the memories you made. Not specific time.

If nothing important/emotionally valuable happened in last 10 years you won't feel nostalgia because it is related to specific events, not times. To be honest the only thing from last 10 years of my life that I feel nostalgia towards is my first love. All other events are way further in the past - such as playing with my dog and jumping off balcony as a kid.

BTW: You might also still be too young. To be honest I don't remember having nostalgia feelings when I was 23. I realized I experience it about 2 years ago, when I visited a place where I used to live as a very young kid. I guess having nostalgia means you are getting old. LOL

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2015, 5:15 pm

i dont think that it has anything to do my age because i know tons of people who are my age that feel nostalgia for their childhood etc but for me it doesnt register
time doesnt register

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:18 pm

Well...if it doesn't register, it doesn't register. It's not a part of you.

My father is 83 years old--and he feels no nostalgia for the past.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 6:29 pm

I have no sense of time,
also age-wise (age of body and understanding that body has an age, it's a mystery and age of mind and understanding that mind should have an "age" as in "grown-up milestones"), time is a mystery to me and when I have to deal with time (imposed from the outside world) I get into severe overload, mostly ending into a comlete shut-down which can last for weeks = no access, I need to re-orientate in my own time (lessness).

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 3:40 pm

No, I don't struggle with time/nostalgia. In fact I find what has happened in the last 10 years in my life very interesting. Lots of things have changed since 2005. I was 15 in 2005, and now I'm 25, and since then a lot has changed. In 2005 my younger cousins were all little kids, now they are adults like me. And I was still at school in 2005, so obviously my routine was different then, and I had really embarrassing special interests what I frown upon now, and I didn't know most of the people I know now, and so much has changed and happened since then, to this day.

I keep meaning to start a timeline about my life, starting from when I was about 7 (I can't remember much before then), right up to this year. I can remember a lot of my birthdays. But I'm having trouble focusing on mapping out a timeline, although it sounds like such a creative thing to do, but at the same time I go to start one then I lose interest.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder