do you have a job? where do u work?

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 3:59 am

I'm a housewife and mainly have been for the past 28 years. However, I've had plenty of jobs and I've worked off and on during my time as a housewife. I've liked almost all my jobs.

Pharmacy courier in a hospital
Unit Clerk in a hospital
Scrub Tech and Nursery tech in a hospital
Secretary in a doctor's office
Veterinary tech
Veterinary antesthetist
Bounty hunter
Private detective
Worked in a funeral home secretary/apprentice embalmer
Bartender
Waitress in a strip club
Did insurance medical testing for a testing company
Worked lots of retail in convenience stores/grocery stores
Co-owner/manager of a convenience store
Hung sheet metal
Writer for a newspaper (op-ed column)
Worked at the carnival and traveled, ran a balloon game joint

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm 51 and my memory ain't that great. Now I just do card readings and spells for people from my home.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 4:43 am

I run a pub,
I part manage a charity store
I'm volunteering at an art gallery and contributing some pieces of my own.

Want to go self employed when the time is right.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm

Got my first real job as an accounting assistant (weird translation, but that's the gist of it.) for the regional goverment. I handle the incoming mail, I do inventory on office supplies and I manage the physical archive. The job is intensely boring at times, but I have my own office, so I can shut the door on the outside world for a bit, and a media player goes a long, long way to alleviate boredom and monotony. The pay is more than adequate for a one man household. Also, I absolutely love my co-workers.

Sometime in the vaguely defined future, I'd like to go back into higher education. My schooling was a bit, shall we say, wonky for reasons relating to Aspergers, and perhaps I have more figuring out of myself to do, and perhaps some maturing to get done. But I do nevertheless possess a sharp, science-inclined mind that I would see put to use, preferrably relating to biology.

Oman5
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2015, 1:25 am

I work as a truck driver. (Do you call them semis? 18 wheelers?)A totally deliberate choice, motor vehicles are one of the things I obsess over and it means I get to work on my own which is a good thing. I had to forego going to college, I was that emotionally scarred after years of torment in school I just had to get out.
Deep down I know I am capable of more, but I need to be in the background away from people and with a rigidly set routine. In this respect I'm happy and the pay is decent enough.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 11:29 pm

I work as a graphic designer for a huge financial firm.
I attended two top colleges in New York but never graduated.
I used to work in a big office building in Manhattan and now work from home.
I got this work because I am good with computers and art so I trained for something combining those things.
Some parts of the job are very difficult because they are political or involve clients who are very unclear about what they want. Other parts of the job are easy because they involve visualizing data or complex business processes.
I have a very strange mix of high achievement and odd weakness at work, I think this is related to autism.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:09 pm

I work as a sawyer, milling mostly gun stocks from orchards that we remove. My duties entail operating a forklift and doing the detail milling of the slabs that come off the main mill. I hate it.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 8:15 pm

As i said in another thread, I work at a government office, unpaid job, helping customers onto computers who don't know how to use them, and doing general admin duties whenever theres no one to help or just sit around doing nothing if there are no tasks to be done, sometimes i'd ask a member of staff/colleague if they need any help with filing or paperwork but unpaid can only go so far.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

I'm an admin assistant for a government department dealing with valuations for business rates. I started the job last month after being an agency worker for one of the main London courts for the past year. At the moment, I mostly do data entry but I will be trained on things like taking phone calls from customers which I'm not particularly looking forward to but I accept that's it part of the job.

budgiezilla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2015, 5:23 pm

I work in "performance events" which is kind of hard to explain. Basically I'm a stage manager. So I push around pianos and chairs, tell people where their seats are, and make sure performers have everything they need. Even though I'm s**t socially, this is really nice for me because everything I say is scripted, and when there's nothing to say, the performer is warming up and getting ready. Interacting with the audience kind of sucks - sometimes people barge into my booth and think they can just sit and hang out with me - but I quickly learned a nice-sounding script to kick them out!

I used to work at a coffee shop and after the initial anxiety of figuring everything out (which was pretty scary), I LOVED it, mostly. Always something to do, coworkers were nice, and we did pourover coffee. it was great.

alienbabe
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2015, 8:11 pm

Sales Associate at a kids clothing store. Normally I dont like retail but I really like the company/what they do/sell. Im in uni though so its just a part time job. I hope I can get some sort of admin position with the education system, it pays very well where i live.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 9:28 am

I'm a Wolfman data entry operator.

They opened up a special position for me so I could regale the office with my howling.

The pay: extra pasta and steak

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2015, 7:06 am

i used to work as a cashier, a bank staff, a loan staff......now im jobless, hoping to find one

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 8:40 pm

I finished work at an office as a 4-week fixed contract unpaid, work experience, opened my eyes a little to what to expect in the future if I wanted to work in office administration, I don't mind the customer service/interaction but too much of it just builds up into stress and I couldn't keep doing that everyday. I get anxious every morning regardless of what job i'm doing.

Now starting next week i'm going to be working at another office doing something more to my skillset, and away from customer service for once, though I am expected to greet internal customers/employees but thats nothing new, the only thing that has me worried is having to answer telephones whilst at the desk but I suppose every office job gives you that responsibility. I could tell them I am not that good at telephone communication and my voice stutters alot especially if i'm not really receptive to their tone of voice (I did get complained at though for not saying what should have been said, plus I could not get the message to them properly, a sign of weakness I suppose).

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2015, 11:47 pm

I'm an auto mechanic at a small yet extremely busy shop in my city. I absolutely love it.