Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

believe in God or some kind of higher power?
yes 38%  38%  [ 24 ]
no 42%  42%  [ 27 ]
other 20%  20%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 64

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 4:27 pm

I am very spiritual, but not religious. As to God, if you are talking the usual 'He' and 'Man with a white beard' rubbish, absolutely not. To me, if there is such a thing as God, it isn't an individual entity, but rather a vast consciousness that consists of every existing thought and piece of knowledge that has ever been. I suppose, in a way, to me, God is some sort of record of the whole of existence, both now and in the future... It can get a little knotty when you think about it actually, but looking at it this way, God is in everything and everyone.

Natalie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2007, 4:50 pm

I am not spiritual or religious, as I do not believe in anything there is not valid scientific evidence for. I feel that if I was religious, it would compromise my character as a (future) scientist, and particularly because I am studying biology. I don't consider the existence of the god of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam to be any more likely than the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Last Thursdayism, until hard evidence proves otherwise.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 4:53 pm

I think the whole religion thing is way over-rated. It's just a way for people to go against each other in their little cliques. I do go to youth group, but only to hang out with my friends. I'm actually going in about half an hour!

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 5:54 pm

I believe that I am some form of higher power. Just have to tap the connections a little better.

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2007, 5:57 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
As to God, if you are talking the usual 'He' and 'Man with a white beard' rubbish, absolutely not.

Yeah, how can an eternal spirit that doesnt need to procreate be either male or female. To me God, or Goddess, or Great Spirit, or Supreme Being or any other term that attempts to identify the creator, is really doing only that, attempting. I like to think of God as the Great It. Or eternal life force. The energy that raps around every molecule. The Mother and Father of all things.

But definately, throw that male s**t out the window. God's insulted by any male female definition.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:20 pm

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
As to God, if you are talking the usual 'He' and 'Man with a white beard' rubbish, absolutely not.

Yeah, how can an eternal spirit that doesnt need to procreate be either male or female. To me God, or Goddess, or Great Spirit, or Supreme Being or any other term that attempts to identify the creator, is really doing only that, attempting. I like to think of God as the Great It. Or eternal life force. The energy that raps around every molecule. The Mother and Father of all things.

But definately, throw that male sh** out the window. God's insulted by any male female definition.

The Bible actually talks about "god" being male, female, and/or spirit!

Still, the idea that a God would care, etc... is ridiculous. THIS planet could be paradise. It seems that CONMEN make most of the money. So how could I believe in such things. I resolved before I was 10 that it was BUNK! About 18 years ago, I tried again to basically believe. Some seemed to be honest etc... NOPE! EVERY one was there for an ulterior motive. Some were transparant, and some took a while. Frankly, if I was God, and felt as the Bible said, I would WIPE THEM OUT! After all, God supposedly killed people for being with thse against the jews, having orgys, etc...

Steve

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:29 pm

don't believe in god but am spiritual.

i used to resent the fact that people found comfort in a PERFECT being loving them completely... i mean, what's the sweat off "his" back?

i always thought it would be much more satisfying to find a regular old human being who was at least willing to try. (this sounds a lot like that elusive love theory, lol)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:32 pm

I think spirituality is a forgotten word in religion. Religion is all tainted with stories and violence and corruption. I think 'Spirituality' is something you can feel MILES away from "religion."

I feel very spiritual.

As for God? Well, what is "God?" Simply "whatever created everything?" and if so, why worship potentially 'nothing?' If there is a "God," then who created him? Wouldn't "God" be lonely in the universe? What's "God's" purpose? etc.

Could there be a God? Maybe, but if we created life and placed them in a universe (if we could mathematically make one (Cyberspace? Other?)), would we not be "Gods" to life within that universe, and if so, how could we effect their life? Technically, we created everything in their universe (cyberspace) and if you give them high "A.I." then they are living within the universe you created for them.

I acknowledge the universe, both the external one and INTERNAL one.

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2007, 7:35 pm

If i am having a good day, then i believe in god.

If i am having a bad day, then i do not believe in god. :lol:

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:36 pm

I hate religion, and I don't believe in any of it.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:44 pm

My family is Catholic and Lutherin I think. My dad wanted me to go to church with him a while ago, though he isn't very religious. I used to believe in a god, but now I don't at all. I wish I was more spiritual though.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:51 pm

People around me are apparently spiritual, and to good effect. I have tried hard and long to be spiritual. I've tried various Christian varieties, Judaism, Zen, and others including atheism.

It all fails to hit. I live as I do: genrally scientific - but I don' actually BELIEVE that all the way either.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:56 pm

nutbag wrote:

It all fails to hit. I live as I do: genrally scientific - but I don' actually BELIEVE that all the way either.

that is a good scietific mind there!! !

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2007, 12:02 am

I vote for "other". I hate organized religion, but as for the concept of God, I'm not sure. Perhaps there is "something" out there...

When I was younger I was a Christian, but when I prayed to my god he never answered my prayers. So that's part of the reason why I don't believe in God any more, at least not in the conventional sense.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:14 am

I despise religion in all its forms.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:21 am

I believe in God, but I'm not religious.