Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 11:39 am

What the hell is a 3-D cube going to do when it comes to multitasking applications in a fast paced environment. All i say its going to do is slow down your computer with the extreme, useless effects. [ Big waste of that 1 GB of RAM in that new Gateway computer my friend got.]
You might as well just use XP for multitasking and efficient use of memory.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 11:54 am

Advance word on this OS was that it simply imitated MAC, and wasn't very useful. I'm using XP, and have no intention of switching.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2007, 12:37 pm

I work for a software developer, and our software runs slower on many Vista machines as compared to identical XP machines. Exact same hardware, different performance. If 1gb of RAM was the standard before, it should be 2gb with Vista.

sternn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Mar 2007, 1:25 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Advance word on this OS was that it simply imitated MAC, and wasn't very useful. I'm using XP, and have no intention of switching.

To Microsoft, "imitation" and "innovation" are the same thing.

MS saw that MacOS had been doing this for years (much like tabs in Opera/Firefox), and figured it was time to innovate and use them as well.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 1:39 pm

OSX isn't ridiculously slow though like Vista is.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 1:40 pm

XGL/AIGLX+Compiz/Beryl also doesn't slow the system down like Aero.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 4:13 pm

ahayes wrote:
OSX isn't ridiculously slow though like Vista is.

Well, you have to understand, that's not entirely a bug, it's also a feature.

Hardware houses had been nagging MS for some time, wanting them to come out with Vista sooner, so that it would force users to go through hardware upgrades on a large scale. Dell, for example, is pretty enraged with MS at this point, both because of the long wait, and because customers seem underwhelmed with Vista -- they see no compelling reason to buy it. So from their perspective, it's been the worst of both worlds -- too little, too late.

So it's no coincidence that every Windows version is much hoggier than its predecessor, it's a major part of MS's working relationship with hardware vendors.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 4:38 pm

My first Dell w/Vista was a nightmare. Error messages averaging about 5 a day, programs would stop running regularly. Dell sent a replacement and I've not had one problem with this machine in a month. It's not slow, I have adapted to Vista (it's still a little like being on the wrong planet in some ways because it's so similar to XP but has minor differences). Believe me, I was one of the "underwhelmed" customers and let MS and Dell know very clearly. But now that I have a machine that works, I'm not complaining.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 4:54 pm

I blame this bloatware on windows attempt at backward compatiability and bad Object Oriented Design.

Who would believe you back in past that in the future you would nee a computer with 1gb ram just to do some typing and database work.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 7:33 pm

aylissa wrote:
My first Dell w/Vista was a nightmare. Error messages averaging about 5 a day, programs would stop running regularly. Dell sent a replacement and I've not had one problem with this machine in a month. It's not slow, I have adapted to Vista (it's still a little like being on the wrong planet in some ways because it's so similar to XP but has minor differences). Believe me, I was one of the "underwhelmed" customers and let MS and Dell know very clearly. But now that I have a machine that works, I'm not complaining.

My housemate also bought a new Dell machine running Vista UE and he's had the same problems that you've had with it. --I told him that it would be a worthwhile thing to find a copy of XP Pro and use that instead.

I have always felt that Microsoft should focus on making a secure, stable OS that runs on a minimum or resouces, and perhaps on their office suite as well, not turn their OS into a one stop Multimedia Experience.

If BeOS/Yellowtab were a viable platform with all major apps ported to it, I would use that in a heartbeat.

vandire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2007, 10:23 am

I've not tried Vista yet, so this is basically just repeating what I've been told, but apparantly there is a good OS on the internet called TinyXP - the idea is its Windows XP with all the drivers etc kept, but none of the unneccessary bloatware, so it runs a lot faster.

Maybe something to look into for those who want a windows environment eith speed and resource management as the primary concerns.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 12:33 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I blame this bloatware on windows attempt at backward compatiability and bad Object Oriented Design.

Who would believe you back in past that in the future you would nee a computer with 1gb ram just to do some typing and database work.

That used to be covered excellently by my old 386DX. When I got my 486DX2 it was lightning fast. On a Vista machine... it's slower than the 286!

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 3:50 pm

Back more then 13 years ago their used to be an old geasa who bought the latest computer systems. I could not understand why he needed a fast computer system. he said when he typed in a name of the appplication he wanted to load, it would load instantlly. A great reason to by a £2000 computer sytem.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 4:29 pm

Fogman wrote:

My housemate also bought a new Dell machine running Vista UE and he's had the same problems that you've had with it. --I told him that it would be a worthwhile thing to find a copy of XP Pro and use that instead.

Before trying XP, have him call Dell and insist on another machine. It worked for me.