Why do people think everyone is autistic to some degree?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 4:55 am

EzraS wrote:
Autistic people attribute too much to autism, that isn't autistic. NT people think they have autistic traits that aren't actually autism.

Yeah, I see that here a lot. People trying to find links which don't exist between something they just so happen to do/like and ask if it's part of their autism. Because people start agreeing and also happen to do it people see it as an autistic trait. If diagnosis went off of this pattern soon the whole world would be diagnosed autistic. :roll: And if they get turned down by their doctor who tries to insist, say, liking the color blue has no links to autism, they come whine online that they know more than their doctor does about autism.

Of course that's an exaggeration, since nobody would suggest a link between liking colors and autism (at least I hope so), but I used an obvious example to show what is looks like when you start suggesting weird things have links and get mad at the doctor for not "being up to date".

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 5:59 am

I've gotten this a few times from people as an excuse for dismissing my diagnosis. They usually say, "why do you think you're autistic?" Then, when I give them symptoms, they argue against them. "Lots of people hate talking to strangers" or "Blinking lights bother me, too, and I'm not autistic."
I think part of it is denial, part of it is misunderstanding and miseducation, and part is the fact that some of the ways that ASD can present can be observed in NTs to lower and less obstructive degrees.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 6:11 am

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
some of the ways that ASD can present can be observed in NTs to lower and less obstructive degrees.

That's a definite and leads to a lot of misunderstanding as you just said. There are very few, if any, traits that are unique only to autism.

For example, this is something my mum has said to me:

"I'm just like you, I focus better if nobody's talking"

Now she's right, and many people focus better on work in their office if it's quiet. But this is not what hypersensitivity to sound is.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 6:37 am

iliketrees wrote:
There are very few, if any, traits that are unique only to autism.

For example, this is something my mum has said to me:

"I'm just like you, I focus better if nobody's talking"

Now she's right, and many people focus better on work in their office if it's quiet. But this is not what hypersensitivity to sound is.

Exactly, and it's hard to explain the difference to someone who hasn't experienced hypersensitivity to sound. Like movie theaters. I don't like to go to them except very seldom because they're too loud and too dark. But no one understands; they say that the loud noise is part of the fun. When I explain that it's not fun for me, they don't get it. They think I'm just being whiny and I should get over it.

Slightly on topic, slightly off topic: two days ago, a friend of mine said he was talking to his sister about me (and about why I haven't found a job yet). He told her about my ASD and then mentioned to her about how she used to bump into things as a kid and he told her that she might have 'a touch of Asperger's' because she was clumsy when she was younger. Clearly, he doesn't understand as much about ASD as I thought he did. It's ok, I don't expect him to know everything, but it just shows how much people misinterpret about autism. (She is very likely not autistic. He displays more traits than she does, although he is very social and probably NT as well.)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 6:58 am

Asides from the volume being 3 times as loud as it should be, I'm lucky cinemas don't seem to affect me.

The worst for me are busy places. In cinemas at least everyone is being quiet. But restaurants or trains are the worst for me. I'd imagine concerts and sports games would top that but thankfully I have not had to endure that.

I don't know why, but people talking and laughing is the worst. I don't seem as bothered by, say, air conditioning at the same volume.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 7:19 am

slave wrote:
tetris wrote:
I'm curious, on another forum someone asked whether anyone thought her kid could be autistic and then someone posted saying everyone is on the spectrum. Quite a few posted agreeing. I don't agree. And I'm curious as to why they think this, anyone have any ideas. Also do you agree that everyone is autistic to some degree?

If everyone was autistic then WE would be the NT's.

Those people are uninformed...ignore them

Thing is though, most of these people say they have autistic children or have worked with autistic people for years.

I think they are meant to be saying that everyone has the odd trait or two rather than everyone is on the autistic spectrum. It's just quite annoying at times as it seems like they are trying to downplay autism, like making it less worthy if that makes sense.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 7:32 am

EzraS wrote:
Autistic people attribute too much to autism, that isn't autistic. NT people think they have autistic traits that aren't actually autism.

I think that is often the case. Which doesn't help.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 8:12 am

iliketrees wrote:
If diagnosis went off of this pattern soon the whole world would be diagnosed autistic. :roll:

Send everybody in the entire-world™ to enough-doctors™ and everybody can get the autistism-diagnosis™.
iliketrees wrote:
And if they get turned down by their doctor who tries to insist, say, liking the color blue has no links to autism, they come whine online that they know more than their doctor does about autism.

The problem with many doctors™ is that much of what they've been taught™ was indoctrinated™ into them from so-called experts™ who dressed-up™ as scientists™ but are really just a bunch of corporate-funded™ sales-men™ whose science™ is questionable (and it's bad enough that people believe-in™ the television as a legitimate™-source of factual™-information). Many people seem to think that the crap they see on television is representative of science™ when the actual scientific™-literature completely-contradicts many if not all commonly-held beliefs such as within the following...

Serotonin and Depression: A Disconnect between the Advertisements and the Scientific Literature

Here is also a lady who used to be one of those sales-representatives™ who sold-to and educated™ many of those doctors™...

Read through the review about her book very carefully before knee-jerk-reaction-auto-dismissing her.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 8:41 am

This common and increasingly fashionable error is due to the fact that society is now more aware of autism, but still actually knows very little about the condition and how it presents. Which is not surprising, since the autism spectrum is extremely complex to say the least; many psychologists are baffled by it. As it stands, there appear to be three main categories:

1. People who are clinically diagnosed with ASD (including what was previously classed as Asperger's syndrome/HFA).
2. Those who have a defined number of less severe traits associated with ASD, and who are classified as subclinical and thus on the Broader Autism Spectrum. As its name suggests, this is fairly broad and difficult to assess.
3. Neurotypicals. This includes the vast majority of the population, who show no signs of autism.

Given the nebulous character of autism, I think the current BAP category is an accurate way of classifying people who are part of the wider autism family. This is why psychologists sometimes refer to them as 'cousins'.

Personally I like the idea of autism being a family.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2015, 8:51 am

Personally, I think the phrase is technically accurate. My personal view of the spectrum is that we're essentially the outliers on the full range of normal human neurological diversity (more detailed explanation here). This seems to account for borderline cases such as the Broad Autism Phenotype and "Autistic Cousins" better than the more binary view some people seem to see the Autism/NT divide. That being said, that is just conjecture. I'm not aware of any scientific studies that indicate that one view is more accurate than the other.

Also, I think the way people tend to use the phrase "everyone is a little autistic" is typically dismissive and/or insulting. Usually it's said by someone who identifies as NT to someone who identifies as autistic, and is said in a way to suggest that their experience is similar to the autistic person's, often at a time when the autistic person is specifically trying to get them to understand how different their experiences really are. In the context that it's used it, it tends to betray a lack of understanding of what autism really is.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:15 am

gamerdad wrote:
Personally, I think the phrase is technically accurate. My personal view of the spectrum is that we're essentially the outliers on the full range of normal human neurological diversity (more detailed explanation here). This seems to account for borderline cases such as the Broad Autism Phenotype and "Autistic Cousins" better than the more binary view some people seem to see the Autism/NT divide. That being said, that is just conjecture. I'm not aware of any scientific studies that indicate that one view is more accurate than the other.

Also, I think the way people tend to use the phrase "everyone is a little autistic" is typically dismissive and/or insulting. Usually it's said by someone who identifies as NT to someone who identifies as autistic, and is said in a way to suggest that their experience is similar to the autistic person's, often at a time when the autistic person is specifically trying to get them to understand how different their experiences really are. In the context that it's used it, it tends to betray a lack of understanding of what autism really is.

Yes. This.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 10:01 am

gamerdad wrote:

I agree with this as well. There's a study (I can fish it up if anyone wants to read it) where parents of autistic kids admitted that they weren't all that clear of what autism or Asperger's was. This was when they were two separate diagnoses and their kids had been diagnosed with one or the other. In this study, they said although they weren't sure, they thought Asperger's was when there was basically nothing "wrong" with you and autism was "more serious." So if their kids were diagnosed with Asperger's they would use the term "autism" instead to garner more sympathy from other people. Real winners, right?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 10:15 am

Well there is a bit of truth to that - Asperger's is milder than a lot of people with Autistic Disorder. Asperger's is only high functioning but autism goes from high functioning to low.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

I don't really know but I don't believe 'autism' is really something that exists. What is autism? Having some certain traits? If that's it then everyone has many common traits with other humans, nothing is really specified

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

Zajie wrote:
I don't really know but I don't believe 'autism' is really something that exists. What is autism? Having some certain traits? If that's it then everyone has many common traits with other humans, nothing is really specified

Deficits in social interaction/communication, restricted/repetitive behavior, present in early development, must cause significant impairment, and are not better explained by anything else.

http://www.autism-watch.org/general/dsm.shtml