Sci-Fi Genre - Could be Revelation and Prophecy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

03 Jun 2015, 11:51 am

While thinking of the Emberverse series Janissy mentioned in the other post, it dawned on me, although the machine age and it's effect on us isn't a certainty, it is a possibility. Is sci fi the modern form of Revelation writing? Anyone consider that it's actually revelation and not just fictional entertainment? One of our greatest stumbling blocks as a species is limited awareness.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

03 Jun 2015, 12:14 pm

As an avid reader of science fiction (as you guessed) I think the writers sometimes make accurate predictions. But I wouldn't call this revelation as such. They are making educated guesses about the possible outcomes of various technologies and sometimes they are right.

While I see it as educated predictions rather than revelations, I think the best of it is more than just fictional entertainment. Science fiction writers tend to take a much larger view of emerging technologies than the creators of those technologies do. They don't just ask "what uses can this new technology be put to?" (as the creators do). They also ask "what will be the repercussions on ordinary people?" (their characters). Since they are trying to make a compelling narrative rather than score political points by either upvoting or downvoting a particular technology, they tend to look at things in a larger and more balanced fashion (I think) than non-fiction article writers.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

03 Jun 2015, 12:19 pm

Janissy wrote:
As an avid reader of science fiction (as you guessed) I think the writers sometimes make accurate predictions. But I wouldn't call this revelation as such. They are making educated guesses about the possible outcomes of various technologies and sometimes they are right.

While I see it as educated predictions rather than revelations, I think the best of it is more than just fictional entertainment. Science fiction writers tend to take a much larger view of emerging technologies than the creators of those technologies do. They don't just ask "what uses can this new technology be put to?" (as the creators do). They also ask "what will be the repercussions on ordinary people?" (their characters). Since they are trying to make a compelling narrative rather than score political points by either upvoting or downvoting a particular technology, they tend to look at things in a larger and more balanced fashion (I think) than non-fiction writers.


Sometimes, in television series, they do push the scientific limits and dip into the ficitional more than the scientific. Sci Fi is a broad genre including some fantastical horror films, fantasy as well as Apocalyptical, doomsday type films like the Mad Max series. Also, there's action films that could fit into this genre like those Transformers movies. So even though it does have science in the name of the genre, it can and does push the envelop, depending on the source of the entertainment. Some creators, writers, producers, are more scientifically inclined when others wish to mix magic with science.



DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,884
Location: Victoria, Australia

04 Jun 2015, 6:42 am

What Janissy said. As I remember it Reagan even got a bunch of Sci Fi writers together to help formulate the Strategic Defense Initiative. Star Trek is famous for depicting things like FLoppy disks, heck Douglas Adams to my mind predicted the Ipad, what else was the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

Not sure what you mean by revelations, if you are suggesting some sort of supernatural influence all I can say to that is I doubt many of the writers would agree with you. Certainly Douglas Adams would not. I think they are just more switched on to scientific possibilities. I remember once as a kid I was watching a kids magazine program called Blue Peter. They asked for ideas on what the year 2000 would be like (this was the mid 70's) one idea was a tv that was large and flat and the audience was able to communicate with the presenters. Great foresight, but supernatural revelation na. After all for something to be predicted in this way suggests a break with causality.


_________________
"I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance anyday"
Douglas Adams

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,745

04 Jun 2015, 9:57 am

Ana, one of the best ways to approach this
is to approach the most creative of artists;
not just Sci-Fi Fiction writers, to how the
creative process works for them.

For some folks it is a paint by numbers process.

For other folks it is totally innate, instinctual and intuitive.

There is a huge difference between the two; as one is all art;

And the other can be mostly systemizing science and no; far from

science fiction.

When human beings create by intuition the conscious planning mind
of past and future AKA the reasoning mind is put to rest; this creative
mind is a mighty metaphor of Quantum human mind and body unleashed
and released that can make leaps beyond logic of what scientists do with
a 'tricycle' instead of a 'sonic blast' of human creativity fully set free and not
bound by rules of 'mere mortals' who only think in systemizing ways. There is
'a song of human creativity' that comes from a soul that does have mind and body
balance that has no 'eyes or ears but now'; that 'sings a spirit of heArt' that is free
of the restrictions of culture that says no, ' do not believe in more than what is in
front of my normal six senses of just seeing, hearing, touching, tasting,
smelling, and proprioception as believing'. Ah, the creative mortals 'see'
so much more than mere mortals will ever perceive with just six senses
of 'normal human way'. And truly words of the bible are not more
revolutionary or 'revelationary' than a sit-com or slap-stick
comedy produced by the minds of 'greater humans' who
do tap into much more than reasoning human
mind and or the six senses combined.

Carl Jung's, et al, 'view' of Synchronicity
comes true in direct proportion to the
'velocity and magnitude' of this
freest of human minds and
bodies in balance. And any
truly creative person will
tell you all about
the amazing
synchroncities
that grow in life when
in the state of growing
intuitive creative mind.
And even science shows
now that the human artistic
side of mind away from systemizing
neocortical methods of analyzing past
and present are repressed by any problem
solving way of thinking. The poet or the painter
who paints by numbers will never ever 'see' this way.
Nor the scientist that even proves that creativity is repressed
by mechanical cognition state of mind. And the beauty of it is
that human social cognition in general is associated with human
creativity and freest intuitive art; in general, Free spirit artists are
among the most kind and loving nonjudgmental people as intuitive
artists flow with 'Uni-verse' instead of paint by number minds. And to
flow as human being is to cooperate with all others for survival. A painted
war face or dance face of primitives that is not by numbers is a more advanced
art than a systemizing mind will ever be now; as there are no instructions; just the
human soul, heart, and spirit fully set free, and this is the way our ancestors do live
in the dream time of lucid ways of 'thinking' WIDE AWAKE. Ah, so much is forgotten
by systemizing minds; but ah, so much is remembered by the intuitive creative mind
that even tells amazing synchronous stories of the future; with no intention needed at
all but the records of arts of the past that view the future in now, as truly now is always
now and time is the illusion for the mind that enters into the dream of GOD manifest in
reality
of
human
eyes...:)

The bible is child's play compared to what the modern mind can do in measure of
synchronicity and developments of the future to come to play. Nah, God does
not play with humans; humans play with each other; and the eyes of GOD
manifest AS HUMAN BEINGS, DO COME TO FRUition in 'laughs'
of GOD that are both amazingly funny
and amazingly
sad.

And here is just a little example from
one of my favorites from the
Big Lebowski movie;
note the man
on the TV
and the
date
of
check.
God is not a prankster
but the human
mind in
synch-
chronous
flow is beyond
the mind of science
all alone without
a shadow of
doubt
but
for those
who never ever travel
to the place of the truly
human creative mind.:)

We can keep it as 'our' 'little
secret' if 'you' like; Truly the
naysayers have no clue;
and truly science
is just starting
to figure out
what 'we'
have known
all along, my friend..:)



And for the most creative of minds in this intuitive flow of being;
sychronicities can be observed in the score of scores of numbers
and not just
one
9/11..:)

Anyway, have a nice now;
and may creativity
flow
with
you and
GOD aS
ONe, ANA.

Image


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

04 Jun 2015, 11:31 am

Science is much more boring and sciency than Science Fiction, Aghogday. Science is about years and years of research that may or may not garner results. It's great if you like routine and work on the same project for an extended period of time. It's also about engineering but that's just using concepts that already exist. Then there's equations and for those you need calculus. The reality of science is not the droid that looks like a human and doesn't appear to require a power source and who knows how long it will be until we see something like that. I saw a video on robotics from Boston Dynamics and saw nothing resembling C-3PO or even little old R2D2 for that matter. I just saw robots trotting about, getting kicked, rebounding, climbing and sometimes they were connected to tubes which I guess powered them. It would have been impressive seeing Data quality Droids however this was not the case.

When I watch Sci Fi movies in particular, science is the farthest thing from my mind. It seems like fantasy for the most part although, lately we have Sci Fi Reality Fiction where it reflects situations that are far more likely. Interstellar comes to mind. I left feeling, finally, a movie about the likely realities of space travel instead of these Star Trek and Wars fantasies. I love Star Wars but I realize the likelihood of ever experiencing reality even remotely similar to that, well, the odds are quite low I ever will. Odds are higher, in my lifetime, of something like the plot of Interstellar occurring but even that is pretty remote.

Sci Fi is a genre with a lot of fantasy and a sliver of movies that are more science than fiction.

I haven't read a lot of Sci Fi series in literature so cannot speak for the majority of books. Books allow the freedom to expand into levels of knowledge that aren't easily translatable in films so maybe that's where the science is. Most the novels I read are not in this particular genre. So maybe some do follow a formula and simply retell science but the whole point is to have a plot and a narrative of some sort, not just to paint by the numbers, otherwise you would have another copy of Darwin's Origin of Species, for example, which was written by Darwin. You can put the science into the novel, but, at this stage in the game, it would make for very dry reading since we aren't exactly traveling to distant worlds if you are talking about stories in space. At the same time, I don't like reading stuff that's so out there I get all envious and jealous reading about it because I covet it. I do like stories that blend the science with semi obtainable -as opposed to barely obtainable. That's only the space end of it, not other areas like post apocalyptic work which I find fascinating. That is definitely one of my favorites. I like a nice, old fashioned, post apocalyptic tale. I just saw a tweet about a book called Firelands by Piper Bayard which is post apocalyptic and dystopian. Ever hear of it?



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,745

04 Jun 2015, 11:40 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Science is much more boring and sciency than Science Fiction, Aghogday. Science is about years and years of research that may or may not garner results. It's great if you like routine and work on the same project for an extended period of time. It's also about engineering but that's just using concepts that already exist. Then there's equations and for those you need calculus. The reality of science is not the droid that looks like a human and doesn't appear to require a power source and who knows how long it will be until we see something like that. I saw a video on robotics from Boston Dynamics and saw nothing resembling C-3PO or even little old R2D2 for that matter. I just saw robots trotting about, getting kicked, rebounding, climbing and sometimes they were connected to tubes which I guess powered them. It would have been impressive seeing Data quality Droids however this was not the case.

When I watch Sci Fi movies in particular, science is the farthest thing from my mind. It seems like fantasy for the most part although, lately we have Sci Fi Reality Fiction where it reflects situations that are far more likely. Interstellar comes to mind. I left feeling, finally, a movie about the likely realities of space travel instead of these Star Trek and Wars fantasies. I love Star Wars but I realize the likelihood of ever experiencing reality even remotely similar to that, well, the odds are quite low I ever will. Odds are higher, in my lifetime, of something like the plot of Interstellar occurring but even that is pretty remote.

Sci Fi is a genre with a lot of fantasy and a sliver of movies that are more science than fiction.

I haven't read a lot of Sci Fi series in literature so cannot speak for the majority of books. Books allow the freedom to expand into levels of knowledge that aren't easily translatable in films so maybe that's where the science is. Most the novels I read are not in this particular genre. So maybe some do follow a formula and simply retell science but the whole point is to have a plot and a narrative of some sort, not just to paint by the numbers, otherwise you would have another copy of Darwin's Origin of Species, for example, which was written by Darwin. You can put the science into the novel, but, at this stage in the game, it would make for very dry reading since we aren't exactly traveling to distant worlds if you are talking about stories in space. At the same time, I don't like reading stuff that's so out there I get all envious and jealous reading about it because I covet it. I do like stories that blend the science with semi obtainable -as opposed to barely obtainable. That's only the space end of it, not other areas like post apocalyptic work which I find fascinating. That is definitely one of my favorites. I like a nice, old fashioned, post apocalyptic tale. I just saw a tweet about a book called Firelands by Piper Bayard which is post apocalyptic and dystopian. Ever hear of it?


I agree Ana.

And No, I haven't
heard of 'Firelands'.

I will check it out..:)


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,014
Location: New Orleans

04 Jun 2015, 7:24 pm

Prophet Points come from being right, and Jules Verne and Tesla did score. One was a writer, the other an inventor.

Both spoke of a vision of the future that was detailed and did come to pass.

Tesla built his.

Someone wrote a very detailed book about the Titanic twelve years before it sank.

Edgar Allen Poe, wrote about a shipwreck, survivors drawing lots about who would be killed and eaten, and a cabin boy was.

A decade or two later, it happened just as he said, including getting the cabin boy's name right.

We have been sold a second by second idea of time. In other cultures, see you at one o'clock, means within an hour before or after.

Time is viewed as a wall, but shows onion traits. We may be at the core, but the whole is many layers, connected as a whole.

There are enough cases that we should review our vision of time. It seems event driven, seeing future inventions long before the technology existed, seeing disasters from the future, and people remembering past lives.

Recent studies of past lives remembered cannot dismiss it.

My claim on Invention, no one ever invented anything. It was there, had been there, they were just the first to notice. They did not create it.

We need to open our mental view of time.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

04 Jun 2015, 9:31 pm

Tesla's one of my all time favorite inventors. He actually wanted to provide the world with free electricity but couldn't find any investors to back up his vision. Heh.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,745

04 Jun 2015, 9:36 pm

Inventor wrote:
Prophet Points come from being right, and Jules Verne and Tesla did score. One was a writer, the other an inventor.

Both spoke of a vision of the future that was detailed and did come to pass.

Tesla built his.

Someone wrote a very detailed book about the Titanic twelve years before it sank.

Edgar Allen Poe, wrote about a shipwreck, survivors drawing lots about who would be killed and eaten, and a cabin boy was.

A decade or two later, it happened just as he said, including getting the cabin boy's name right.

We have been sold a second by second idea of time. In other cultures, see you at one o'clock, means within an hour before or after.

Time is viewed as a wall, but shows onion traits. We may be at the core, but the whole is many layers, connected as a whole.

There are enough cases that we should review our vision of time. It seems event driven, seeing future inventions long before the technology existed, seeing disasters from the future, and people remembering past lives.

Recent studies of past lives remembered cannot dismiss it.

My claim on Invention, no one ever invented anything. It was there, had been there, they were just the first to notice. They did not create it.

We need to open our mental view of time.


^6^

Quoted for truth.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

05 Jun 2015, 7:57 am

Inventor wrote:
Prophet Points come from being right, and Jules Verne and Tesla did score. One was a writer, the other an inventor.


Let's also give some Prophet Points to J.Elfreth Watkins. He was never famous but he was often right. His predictions came in the form of an article written in 1900 in Ladies Home Journal with predictions for 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Elfreth_Watkins
http://yorktownhistory.org/wp-content/archives/homepages/1900_predictions.htm
a sample:

Quote:
Prediction #6: Automobiles will be cheaper than horses are today. Farmers will own automobile hay-wagons, automobile truck-wagons, plows, harrows and hay-rakes. A one-pound motor in one of these vehicles will do the work of a pair of horses or more. Children will ride in automobile sleighs in winter. Automobiles will have been substituted for every horse vehicle now known. There will be, as already exist today, automobile hearses, automobile police patrols, automobile ambulances, automobile street sweepers. The horse in harness will be as scarce, if, indeed, not even scarcer, then as the yoked ox is today.

Nailed it. Right down to the snowmobiles.

Quote:
Prediction #9: Photographs will be telegraphed from any distance. If there be a battle in China a hundred years hence snapshots of its most striking events will be published in the newspapers an hour later. Even to-day photographs are being telegraphed over short distances. Photographs will reproduce all of Nature’s colors.

Prediction #18: Telephones Around the World. Wireless telephone and telegraph circuits will span the world. A husband in the middle of the Atlantic will be able to converse with his wife sitting in her boudoir in Chicago. We will be able to telephone to China quite as readily as we now talk from New York to Brooklyn. By an automatic signal they will connect with any circuit in their locality without the intervention of a “hello girl”.

Prediction #19: Grand Opera will be telephoned to private homes, and will sound as harmonious as though enjoyed from a theatre box. Automatic instruments reproducing original airs exactly will bring the best music to the families of the untalented. Great musicians gathered in one enclosure in New York will, by manipulating electric keys, produce at the same time music from instruments arranged in theatres or halls in San Francisco or New Orleans, for instance. Thus will great bands and orchestras give long-distance concerts. In great cities there will be public opera-houses whose singers and musicians are paid from funds endowed by philanthropists and by the government. The piano will be capable of changing its tone from cheerful to sad. Many devises will add to the emotional effect of music.


He predicted cell phones and the internet, complete with audio streaming. 100 Prophet Points to you, sir 8)

But of course sometimes he was wrong and I am grateful that what he wrongly predicted did not come to pass.....yet.


Quote:
Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries. Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become practically extinct. A few of high breed will be kept by the rich for racing, hunting and exercise. The automobile will have driven out the horse. Cattle and sheep will have no horns. They will be unable to run faster than the fattened hog of today. A century ago the wild hog could outrun a horse. Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


No and I hope this never happens. But he was eerily close with....

Quote:
Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


They still have horns, bones, muscles and lungs. But if we figure out how to grow meat without first birthing an animal- and we are close- then this will come to pass more or less.



Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,014
Location: New Orleans

05 Jun 2015, 10:01 am

Now that was a run of predictions!

Most of what did not happen could of, if mass public education had been started, along with medical and dental.

What did not happen is where some existing system bought Congress, and got protection.

What is not mentioned is the most likely guilty party, Big Oil.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,745

05 Jun 2015, 10:02 am

Janissy wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Prophet Points come from being right, and Jules Verne and Tesla did score. One was a writer, the other an inventor.


Let's also give some Prophet Points to J.Elfreth Watkins. He was never famous but he was often right. His predictions came in the form of an article written in 1900 in Ladies Home Journal with predictions for 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Elfreth_Watkins
http://yorktownhistory.org/wp-content/archives/homepages/1900_predictions.htm
a sample:

Quote:
Prediction #6: Automobiles will be cheaper than horses are today. Farmers will own automobile hay-wagons, automobile truck-wagons, plows, harrows and hay-rakes. A one-pound motor in one of these vehicles will do the work of a pair of horses or more. Children will ride in automobile sleighs in winter. Automobiles will have been substituted for every horse vehicle now known. There will be, as already exist today, automobile hearses, automobile police patrols, automobile ambulances, automobile street sweepers. The horse in harness will be as scarce, if, indeed, not even scarcer, then as the yoked ox is today.

Nailed it. Right down to the snowmobiles.

Quote:
Prediction #9: Photographs will be telegraphed from any distance. If there be a battle in China a hundred years hence snapshots of its most striking events will be published in the newspapers an hour later. Even to-day photographs are being telegraphed over short distances. Photographs will reproduce all of Nature’s colors.

Prediction #18: Telephones Around the World. Wireless telephone and telegraph circuits will span the world. A husband in the middle of the Atlantic will be able to converse with his wife sitting in her boudoir in Chicago. We will be able to telephone to China quite as readily as we now talk from New York to Brooklyn. By an automatic signal they will connect with any circuit in their locality without the intervention of a “hello girl”.

Prediction #19: Grand Opera will be telephoned to private homes, and will sound as harmonious as though enjoyed from a theatre box. Automatic instruments reproducing original airs exactly will bring the best music to the families of the untalented. Great musicians gathered in one enclosure in New York will, by manipulating electric keys, produce at the same time music from instruments arranged in theatres or halls in San Francisco or New Orleans, for instance. Thus will great bands and orchestras give long-distance concerts. In great cities there will be public opera-houses whose singers and musicians are paid from funds endowed by philanthropists and by the government. The piano will be capable of changing its tone from cheerful to sad. Many devises will add to the emotional effect of music.


He predicted cell phones and the internet, complete with audio streaming. 100 Prophet Points to you, sir 8)

But of course sometimes he was wrong and I am grateful that what he wrongly predicted did not come to pass.....yet.


Quote:
Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries. Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become practically extinct. A few of high breed will be kept by the rich for racing, hunting and exercise. The automobile will have driven out the horse. Cattle and sheep will have no horns. They will be unable to run faster than the fattened hog of today. A century ago the wild hog could outrun a horse. Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


No and I hope this never happens. But he was eerily close with....

Quote:
Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


They still have horns, bones, muscles and lungs. But if we figure out how to grow meat without first birthing an animal- and we are close- then this will come to pass more or less.


The most amusing thing about organized religion
that attempts to chain the 'gifts' of God all within
'their' selfish religions is
they FAIL; yes, FAIL
to realize;
God is an 'EEO
employer'. 'EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY'.

There are no pre-requirements to be a prophet.

Even scientists can be prophets with or without profit;

Homeless folks; and rock and roll musicians like Led Zeppelin.

One of my favorite songs of 'propheTRY' is done by Led Zeppelin;
perhaps, with the help of some 'chemical' additives; but the point remains



'God'
'loves'
'angels'
as much
as 'devil's, and
'Led Zeppelins',

'Teslas',

And the so-called person on the street
that the religious right suggests should
pull up 'their' bootstraps, even if they are
bare foot, food-less, and homeless.

Truly we live in a sick society;
but folks with ALL REAL EYES
of GOD can get past this
with a little help
from their
friends,
as
well..;)



My wife and I never pass a homeless
person without giving at least something;
as traffic allows; but for me I know something
much worse than being homeless; being without
a soul of mind and body balance; being without a
heart of emotion; and being without a spirit to feel
that emotion and senses of others, including all of
nature aka GOD; and to express that emotion and
senses WITH OTHERS and nature aka GOD.

The 'science' of the human soul, heart, and
spirit is just now coming under purview
of science, as the last and most
important hold-out of
human knowledge
in both reason
and most
importantly
FEELING.

Religion uses metaphors like soul,
heart, and spirit to attempt to describe
the internal universe of human beings; that
has no consistent method of science to measure
that, as each human's internal experience in how 'they'
perceive the Universe is truly a non-repeatable unique
experience of ART; and that is pArt of why a person who
receives a degree in stuff other than what can be properly
empirically measured is ART and NOT science, in terms of
acronyms of BA, BS, MA, MS, and yeah, then there
is doctor of PHILOSOPHY of STUFF; most of
the internal life of human being, in terms
of how humans get depressed, get
un-depressed, get anxious, get
un-anxious is still a mystery,
in terms of human beings,
as rats do not make
good lab subjects
in this way.
But anyway; religion
and philosophy,
and poetry,
and music,
including
rock and
roll;
gives 'ITS' best shot;
as well as all other
associated arts.
Perhaps one
day science
WILL MORE
FULLy CATCH
UP.
IT'S AMUSING;
MORE THAN AMUSING
for me to watch 'nerds'
attempt to describe
the 'hows', 'whys', 'whens',
and 'who's, of how GOD
works; and yes; that
includes fundamentalist
religious 'nerds' too; when
GOD just is as is NOW; truly
all the rest is less than flesh
and blood existence AKA just living
in balance with nature AKA GOD, AS IS.

The greaTEST illusion is to make something
so beautiful and free as ART, as the GOD of nature IS
INto something as ugly and plain, as a scientific method.

That's just disgusting to me; and I find great pleasure that
'the moderators' have decided to 'set me free' from speaking
to 'these folks', in words of poetic justice that God of Nature
most definitely
gifts
me
with,
aS
ONe.
I even wear
a white watch
and white shoes
to my dance
last night;
usually
they are
black;
to celebrate
my release
from
'darkness'
here; smiles,
and have a great day;
you don't personally attack folks
Jannissy; I appreciate that; it proves
your humanity here; like I said, GOD
is an EEO employer; and some atheists
and scientists are much greater citizens
of the God of Nature, than frigging Pat
Robertson, who talks about acts of
GOD destroying gays; and all the
other examples of psychopathic
leaning clergy; AND just another
way of human darkness
plain to see for
the archetype
of human
'angel' or
'empath'
like
me..;)

Anyway, my time here on this
site, continues as a very
'prophetable' one;
in terms of
LED ZEPPELIN'S
KASHMIR.

Smiles; no, not
just smiles;
BIGGEST SMILES..:)
And Winks from God
of Nature too; AKA
SYNCHRONICITY..:);
REVELATION
OR
W The
F or FUN I T
Comes AGAIN
AS..:)

Yes, in someways, I'm a lot like
the stone statue on that Beatles
Album cover; other than it
is like a pre-stone replica
of my face; long head;
broad shoulders, and
all of that;
'Moonchild';
or Not..;)


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 945
Location: Melbourne

06 Jun 2015, 12:23 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
While thinking of the Emberverse series Janissy mentioned in the other post, it dawned on me, although the machine age and it's effect on us isn't a certainty, it is a possibility. Is sci fi the modern form of Revelation writing? Anyone consider that it's actually revelation and not just fictional entertainment? One of our greatest stumbling blocks as a species is limited awareness.


I have considered similar ideas, that novelists and others could be, in most cases probably unwittingly, latter- day prophets of a sort. As others have pointed out, many authors might not be happy with such a view. There also may be a degree of what Tolkien called the difference between allegory and applicability, i.e. that a work could have meanings read into it by readers that the author did not intend. That said, this is a fascinating area for reflection.

Science fiction, fantasy and such genres do supply an excellent way for exploring ideas that would be harder to discuss without controversy in a different setting. Historical novels, also, though there should be a responsibility of fidelity to the time depicted there, not adapted for the convenience of a cause.

There is much room for fruitful discussion here!


_________________
You are like children playing in the market-place saying, "We piped for you and you would not dance, we wailed a dirge for you and you would not weep."


AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 945
Location: Melbourne

06 Jun 2015, 1:32 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
While thinking of the Emberverse series Janissy mentioned in the other post, it dawned on me, although the machine age and it's effect on us isn't a certainty, it is a possibility. Is sci fi the modern form of Revelation writing? Anyone consider that it's actually revelation and not just fictional entertainment? One of our greatest stumbling blocks as a species is limited awareness.


I have considered similar ideas, that novelists and others could be, in most cases probably unwittingly, latter- day prophets of a sort. As others have pointed out, many authors might not be happy with such a view. There also may be a degree of what Tolkien called the difference between allegory and applicability, i.e. that a work could have meanings read into it by readers that the author did not intend. That said, this is a fascinating area for reflection.

Science fiction, fantasy and such genres do supply an excellent way for exploring ideas that would be harder to discuss without controversy in a different setting. Historical novels, also, though there should be a responsibility of fidelity to the time depicted there, not adapted for the convenience of a cause.

There is much room for fruitful discussion here!


_________________
You are like children playing in the market-place saying, "We piped for you and you would not dance, we wailed a dirge for you and you would not weep."


AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 945
Location: Melbourne

06 Jun 2015, 1:46 am

aghogday wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Prophet Points come from being right, and Jules Verne and Tesla did score. One was a writer, the other an inventor.


Let's also give some Prophet Points to J.Elfreth Watkins. He was never famous but he was often right. His predictions came in the form of an article written in 1900 in Ladies Home Journal with predictions for 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Elfreth_Watkins
http://yorktownhistory.org/wp-content/archives/homepages/1900_predictions.htm
a sample:

Quote:
Prediction #6: Automobiles will be cheaper than horses are today. Farmers will own automobile hay-wagons, automobile truck-wagons, plows, harrows and hay-rakes. A one-pound motor in one of these vehicles will do the work of a pair of horses or more. Children will ride in automobile sleighs in winter. Automobiles will have been substituted for every horse vehicle now known. There will be, as already exist today, automobile hearses, automobile police patrols, automobile ambulances, automobile street sweepers. The horse in harness will be as scarce, if, indeed, not even scarcer, then as the yoked ox is today.

Nailed it. Right down to the snowmobiles.

Quote:
Prediction #9: Photographs will be telegraphed from any distance. If there be a battle in China a hundred years hence snapshots of its most striking events will be published in the newspapers an hour later. Even to-day photographs are being telegraphed over short distances. Photographs will reproduce all of Nature’s colors.

Prediction #18: Telephones Around the World. Wireless telephone and telegraph circuits will span the world. A husband in the middle of the Atlantic will be able to converse with his wife sitting in her boudoir in Chicago. We will be able to telephone to China quite as readily as we now talk from New York to Brooklyn. By an automatic signal they will connect with any circuit in their locality without the intervention of a “hello girl”.

Prediction #19: Grand Opera will be telephoned to private homes, and will sound as harmonious as though enjoyed from a theatre box. Automatic instruments reproducing original airs exactly will bring the best music to the families of the untalented. Great musicians gathered in one enclosure in New York will, by manipulating electric keys, produce at the same time music from instruments arranged in theatres or halls in San Francisco or New Orleans, for instance. Thus will great bands and orchestras give long-distance concerts. In great cities there will be public opera-houses whose singers and musicians are paid from funds endowed by philanthropists and by the government. The piano will be capable of changing its tone from cheerful to sad. Many devises will add to the emotional effect of music.


He predicted cell phones and the internet, complete with audio streaming. 100 Prophet Points to you, sir 8)

But of course sometimes he was wrong and I am grateful that what he wrongly predicted did not come to pass.....yet.


Quote:
Prediction #28: There will be no wild animals except in menageries. Rats and mice will have been exterminated. The horse will have become practically extinct. A few of high breed will be kept by the rich for racing, hunting and exercise. The automobile will have driven out the horse. Cattle and sheep will have no horns. They will be unable to run faster than the fattened hog of today. A century ago the wild hog could outrun a horse. Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


No and I hope this never happens. But he was eerily close with....

Quote:
Food animals will be bred to expend practically all of their life energy in producing meat, milk, wool and other by-products. Horns, bones, muscles and lungs will have been neglected.


They still have horns, bones, muscles and lungs. But if we figure out how to grow meat without first birthing an animal- and we are close- then this will come to pass more or less.


The most amusing thing about organized religion
that attempts to chain the 'gifts' of God all within
'their' selfish religions is
they FAIL; yes, FAIL
to realize;
God is an 'EEO
employer'. 'EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY'.

There are no pre-requirements to be a prophet.

Even scientists can be prophets with or without profit;

Homeless folks; and rock and roll musicians like Led Zeppelin.

One of my favorite songs of 'propheTRY' is done by Led Zeppelin;
perhaps, with the help of some 'chemical' additives; but the point remains



'God'
'loves'
'angels'
as much
as 'devil's, and
'Led Zeppelins',

'Teslas',

And the so-called person on the street
that the religious right suggests should
pull up 'their' bootstraps, even if they are
bare foot, food-less, and homeless.

Truly we live in a sick society;
but folks with ALL REAL EYES
of GOD can get past this
with a little help
from their
friends,
as
well..;)



My wife and I never pass a homeless
person without giving at least something;
as traffic allows; but for me I know something
much worse than being homeless; being without
a soul of mind and body balance; being without a
heart of emotion; and being without a spirit to feel
that emotion and senses of others, including all of
nature aka GOD; and to express that emotion and
senses WITH OTHERS and nature aka GOD.

The 'science' of the human soul, heart, and
spirit is just now coming under purview
of science, as the last and most
important hold-out of
human knowledge
in both reason
and most
importantly
FEELING.

Religion uses metaphors like soul,
heart, and spirit to attempt to describe
the internal universe of human beings; that
has no consistent method of science to measure
that, as each human's internal experience in how 'they'
perceive the Universe is truly a non-repeatable unique
experience of ART; and that is pArt of why a person who
receives a degree in stuff other than what can be properly
empirically measured is ART and NOT science, in terms of
acronyms of BA, BS, MA, MS, and yeah, then there
is doctor of PHILOSOPHY of STUFF; most of
the internal life of human being, in terms
of how humans get depressed, get
un-depressed, get anxious, get
un-anxious is still a mystery,
in terms of human beings,
as rats do not make
good lab subjects
in this way.
But anyway; religion
and philosophy,
and poetry,
and music,
including
rock and
roll;
gives 'ITS' best shot;
as well as all other
associated arts.
Perhaps one
day science
WILL MORE
FULLy CATCH
UP.
IT'S AMUSING;
MORE THAN AMUSING
for me to watch 'nerds'
attempt to describe
the 'hows', 'whys', 'whens',
and 'who's, of how GOD
works; and yes; that
includes fundamentalist
religious 'nerds' too; when
GOD just is as is NOW; truly
all the rest is less than flesh
and blood existence AKA just living
in balance with nature AKA GOD, AS IS.

The greaTEST illusion is to make something
so beautiful and free as ART, as the GOD of nature IS
INto something as ugly and plain, as a scientific method.

That's just disgusting to me; and I find great pleasure that
'the moderators' have decided to 'set me free' from speaking
to 'these folks', in words of poetic justice that God of Nature
most definitely
gifts
me
with,
aS
ONe.
I even wear
a white watch
and white shoes
to my dance
last night;
usually
they are
black;
to celebrate
my release
from
'darkness'
here; smiles,
and have a great day;
you don't personally attack folks
Jannissy; I appreciate that; it proves
your humanity here; like I said, GOD
is an EEO employer; and some atheists
and scientists are much greater citizens
of the God of Nature, than frigging Pat
Robertson, who talks about acts of
GOD destroying gays; and all the
other examples of psychopathic
leaning clergy; AND just another
way of human darkness
plain to see for
the archetype
of human
'angel' or
'empath'
like
me..;)

Anyway, my time here on this
site, continues as a very
'prophetable' one;
in terms of
LED ZEPPELIN'S
KASHMIR.

Smiles; no, not
just smiles;
BIGGEST SMILES..:)
And Winks from God
of Nature too; AKA
SYNCHRONICITY..:);
REVELATION
OR
W The
F or FUN I T
Comes AGAIN
AS..:)

Yes, in someways, I'm a lot like
the stone statue on that Beatles
Album cover; other than it
is like a pre-stone replica
of my face; long head;
broad shoulders, and
all of that;
'Moonchild';
or Not..;)


Why do you regard the scientific method as ugly or dull? Certain forms of reductionist materialist philosophy may be so, but that is not the same. I am also confused by the religious right. Social justice and caring for the widlow and orphan and foreigner, not oppressing the poor; these are consistent themes in the Scriptures. Their literalism seems selective at times. Thank you for your post; you have many ideas here, and much poetry, though sometimes the style is a little exasperating!


_________________
You are like children playing in the market-place saying, "We piped for you and you would not dance, we wailed a dirge for you and you would not weep."