Can China hack US and properly Cover their tracks?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 7:09 am

A friend winded me up my saying China has been hacking the US Government. It is impossible to trace a very careful hacker. And considering the way US Government get pissed over nowt, China would have to be very careful that the hack do not get tracked back to them.
This is how I would cover my ass.
*Set up base North Korea
Pay of North Koran officials set up primary base.
* Set up secondary base in Chinese friendly country ( Hong Kong or Malaysia) And use
encrypted preparatory phone as the sole means of communication.
* Set up highly secure proxies around the world.
* Sprinkle a few foreigners hackers between the those proxy servers to follow
encrypted incoming hacker commands. ( to my knowledge computer viruses cannot hack human brains)
Then hack using proxies through multiple different countries.
If the use government have amazing ability to trace back to Hong Kong , then the hacking software will have to jump from the computer to the encrypted phone( that isn’t connected to the computer) and trace this phone to China.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
A friend winded me up my saying China has been hacking the US Government. It is impossible to trace a very careful hacker. And considering the way US Government get pissed over nowt, China would have to be very careful that the hack do not get tracked back to them.
*Set up base North Korea
* Set up secondary base in Chinese friendly country ( Hong Kong or Malaysia) And use
encrypted incoming hacker commands. ( to my knowledge computer viruses cannot hack human brains)
If the use government have amazing ability to trace back to Hong Kong , then the hacking software will have to jump from the computer to the encrypted phone( that isn’t connected to the computer) and trace this phone to China.

If you were one of the US clever bods, how would you track a hacker?

Also, isn't HK part of China now?

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2015, 8:44 am

What about by doing things like this?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2 ... ina-press/

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 2:12 pm

I don't think China tries very hard to cover their tracks. They're powerful enough that we don't dare say much about their deeds lest they do something we'd really regret.

Most time serious hacks happen, experts know where they came from and who likely is behind them.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

Yes they hack, we know about a lot of it.

Covering tracks is ambiguous, they don't really care if an address is tracked to China. It not so much about being undetectable as muddying the water.

The difference is in China they are trained to maliciously hack, for commercial secrets. Some of the people hadn't even tinkered with a computer before they were trained.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

If you check the logs of any external facing server you'll find they're almost constantly being hit by Chinese bots.

I'm not sure that they would much care if we caught them hacking. What are we going to do about it? It's our fault for not securing our data better.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 2:49 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
*Set up base North Korea

Why not simply train and pay nations like N. Korea, and want to be nations such as ISIS that are hostile to the US to do so? --Give their hacklabs Chinese supervisors to ensure that any hacked data gets forwarded to China. Any scandals that may arise from these affairs would not be tied directly to China.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 9:53 am

Fogman wrote:
Why not simply train and pay nations like N. Korea, and want to be nations such as ISIS that are hostile to the US to do so? --Give their hacklabs Chinese supervisors to ensure that any hacked data gets forwarded to China. Any scandals that may arise from these affairs would not be tied directly to China.

North Korea and China aren't the bests of friends anymore. Lil Kim is more of an annoyance/embarrassment to the Chinese. The North Koreans have their own program anyway, and they don't just operate out of North Korea anyway.

I doubt China will be using ISIS any time soon. They have no reason to and the Chinese have the Uyghur "problem".

North Korea is more likely to deal with ISIS, but not for that, to fill up on Oil. It already tried doing that in Libya, when when of the Oil refineries was captured.

However it was a militia rather than Salafists like ISIS, who rather cut the heads off of "godless" people like the North Koreans.