only match the picture on the pieces 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
mostly match the picture, match the edges a bit 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
match edges and picture about equally 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 23

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm

I once read something about autistic people being good at jigsaw puzzles because of their attention to detail. However, they found that some of the people who were the best at the puzzles solved them by matching up the edges of the puzzle pieces, not by matching the parts of picture on the pieces. I found it a very interesting way to think because the shapes of the puzzle piece edges seem so much more abstract (and therefore more difficult to match) than the snippets of picture on them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:45 pm

I always start with the edges and I then do the insides and I go with the picture. I don't really look at the picture on the box unless I want to know what part of that puzzle goes to so I know where to put that part of the puzzle as I am putting it together.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I always start with the edges and I then do the insides and I go with the picture. I don't really look at the picture on the box unless I want to know what part of that puzzle goes to so I know where to put that part of the puzzle as I am putting it together.

Ok but I want to clarify that I didn't mean the edges of the whole puzzle, I meant that the people they studied figured out which pieces fit together by looking at the edges of each individual piece (rounded, straight, etc.).

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

Starkid – I didn’t understand your poll. But, I can describe my “algorithm” for doing jigsaw puzzles. It’s basically a “divide and conquer” approach.

- First, I separate the pieces into two piles – edges and non-edges.
- Then, I sort the edges by color and/or pattern. Because I am slightly color blind, this can become difficult (based upon the puzzle).
- Then, I form the frame, by putting together the edges. This is not always straightforward, as I have worked on puzzles are not rectangular in shape (and instead have jagged edges).
- Then, I take the remaining pieces (i.e. non-edges) and sort those by color and/or pattern.
- As I put together the non-edges, I look for patterns in how the pieces are cut. Do they have 1 tab and 3 blanks or 2 tabs and 2 blanks or 3 tabs and 1 blank. For a description of tab and blanks see: http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... in-english. If I get stuck, I will do full scans of all the pieces, to find the exact piece I am looking for. It’s a bit slow, but eventually I will find my piece.

I spent one entire vacation (with my wife’s family) sitting at the table, focused exclusively on a very difficult jigsaw puzzle. It was quite fun.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:53 pm

starkid wrote:
Ok but I want to clarify that I didn't mean the edges of the whole puzzle, I meant that the people they studied figured out which pieces fit together by looking at the edges of each individual piece (rounded, straight, etc.).

This is what I meant by "tabs" and "blanks" (see: http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... in-english). I don't know if that is the "official" term. But, for me it works. Anyway, I start with the color/pattern. When I get stuck, I do the scan based upon "tabs" and "blanks".

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm

I use both the shapes and the colors to solve the puzzle.

If you know that the piece you're looking for has a certain pattern of color, then you've narrowed it down to a certain amount of pieces.

If you know the piece has a certain shape, then you've narrowed it down to a certain amount of pieces.

But if you know that the piece has a certain shape and a certain pattern of color, then the set of pieces that will fit is a lot smaller.

So I said that I use both equally.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 4:57 pm

starkid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Oh you meant the edges of the pieces, yes I do that too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 5:00 pm

Starkid - You realize that the autism symbol is made up of jigsaw puzzle pieces?

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2015, 5:27 pm

The edges are easier to recognise so I sort / factorise them first, but as I go I'll start putting obvious clusters together and start relating those to the edge space.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2015, 5:34 pm

starkid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yeah I posted and answered wrong then...

Yes I sort of sort by bigger curves, smaller curves and longer straight(ish)s... But I do all of that at once on the first pass (finding true edges) and then again fully on the second pass.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2015, 5:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I too prefer not to look at the image, sometimes not what-so-ever.

Another fun one is to mash 3 jigsaws into one box and start from there. My nephew is great at this!

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 5:39 pm

I'll say how I've always done them

I do the outside shell first - I create the frame from the bits with straight edges

Then I sort the remaining pieces into different colors or patterns

Then I look at the bits that connect it and try to complete it either outside inwards or top down

No idea why but it's just how I do it. Only see what it makes once it's done.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 6:05 pm

rarebit wrote:
[
Yeah I posted and answered wrong then...

I set the poll so that people can change their answers

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2015, 6:12 pm

How does one deal with another piece from a wrong planet?

Bye

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 6:31 pm

mostly by shape, then some by color.

I categorize/sort all the pieces by color/pattern first.
Then I go by the shape, starting with the edges.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 7:06 pm

I start on the outside and work my way into the inside.