Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TheReptilianThesaurus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2015, 11:20 pm

I'm curious if anyone else shares a fondness for animals, and for which ones in particular.

I myself am most fond of reptiles, snakes being my absolute favorites. I also love insects and birds, and am considering studying zoology.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 12:59 pm

TheReptilianThesaurus wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else shares a fondness for animals, and for which ones in particular.

I myself am most fond of reptiles, snakes being my absolute favorites. I also love insects and birds, and am considering studying zoology.

I'm not a big snake fan, by any means, but when I see one on the road, I usually stop and and try to get it off the road before some idiot runs over it. That includes rattlesnakes. Only if the rattlesnake is at a house or near some place where kids play do I kill it. The rest of the time, it is very rare that it will interact with a human and they do a service by killing mice and other rodents who can carry and spread various diseases.

For what it's worth, I fell on top of a rattlesnake once but it didn't bite me!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 3:20 pm

Amateur entomologist. I love insects. Currently reading entomology textbook for fun.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2015, 4:07 pm

I love all animals, big & small. I'm a supporter and advocacy member of the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). My favorite animals are the white tiger, penguins, Chocolate Labradors, and Alaskan Huskies. I'm also very fond of Samoyeds, which are absolutely gorgeous.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 10:34 am

I'm enthusiastic about this animal:
Her name's Rosean Imal.

I like most other animals too.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 12:08 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Amateur entomologist. I love insects. Currently reading entomology textbook for fun.

Me 2 :D :D :D :D :D

Have you ever found any academically orientated Arthropoda sites that are basically an encyclopedia....pics, labeling of body parts, phylogeny, etc...that is not REALLY basic kids stuff?????

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:35 am

slave wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Have you ever found any academically orientated Arthropoda sites that are basically an encyclopedia....pics, labeling of body parts, phylogeny, etc...that is not REALLY basic kids stuff?????

Not complete by any measure, and I'm pretty sure the project lost its funding, but still:

http://tolweb.org/tree/home.pages/popular.html

not insect-specific, but it's a start. Also, if you like, I can send you a digital copy of the book I'm reading.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2015, 6:52 pm

I love animals. Especially mammals and reptiles.

When I was a kid I would collect snails and caterpillars and keep them in jars and watch them pupate or whatever. I also like watching the locusts I feed my reptiles. They're strangely entertaining somehow.

cupter
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2015, 1:06 am

I intend on being a zoologist. I've always loved studying animals. I barely would talk about anything but zoology from 4-12 years old. I'm sure I was awfully annoying but they just kept my interest for so long.

Can anyone recommend some really good, in-depth books on amphibians?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 2:09 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
slave wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Not complete by any measure, and I'm pretty sure the project lost its funding, but still:

http://tolweb.org/tree/home.pages/popular.html

not insect-specific, but it's a start. Also, if you like, I can send you a digital copy of the book I'm reading.

I'm enjoying that site...thanks for recommending it :!:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 2:13 pm

cupter wrote:
I intend on being a zoologist. I've always loved studying animals. I barely would talk about anything but zoology from 4-12 years old. I'm sure I was awfully annoying but they just kept my interest for so long.

Can anyone recommend some really good, in-depth books on amphibians?

I could easily spend my life studying Zoology. Just wait for the labs when you get to Uni...OMFG you'll LOVE it :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 2:18 pm

Evolution is the greatest engineer EVER :!: :!: :!: :!:

cupter
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

In the height of my obsession I did lots of observations and experiments to test the motion based movement of the American Toad and I also attempted to finish Darwin's earthworm intelligence study.

Can I have some examples of the labs you did? I'm really excited for college. I was never able to have any zoology classes in high school.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:06 pm

cupter wrote:
In the height of my obsession I did lots of observations and experiments to test the motion based movement of the American Toad and I also attempted to finish Darwin's earthworm intelligence study.

Can I have some examples of the labs you did? I'm really excited for college. I was never able to have any zoology classes in high school.

Depends on the course, of course, but....dissections, using various forms of microscopy to view and learn the names of all of the parts of the organisms, etc...

You'll LOVE it :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:44 pm

I like animals, particularly mammals and birds. I have pet dogs, and a long haired cat, and have been around other domesticated animals since childhood. I mostly like wildlife though, and the interconnectedness of the natural world in general.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 7:29 pm

These 2 organisms are part of "a group of non-bilaterian metazoan organisms that cannot at present be placed in an existing phylum" 8) :nerdy:

[url]http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0102976
[/url]

Dendrogramma enigmatica and Dendrogramma discoides