Toronto-area girl w AS becomes swim champ

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 8:16 am

A VERY uplifting story, about a girl from the Toronto area called Ruby Stevens who has AS, ADHD, GAD, and epilepsy and was contemplating suicide but went on to become a synch swimming champ. Yayyy Ruby!! :)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-ne ... 27965.html

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm

Good for her

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Jun 2015, 7:13 pm

Cool. I used to be on the swim team when I was younger.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm

Would have been more inspiring if she wasn't on the disabled team.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:20 pm

Why? What's wrong with being on the disabled team? I think what she's done is very impressive, especially at the age of 12.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:29 pm

This story just goes to show that autistic people need to spend more time in the water. I took up the sport of free diving when I was 8 years old and I can contribute to the fact, that spending a long time in the water is one of the reasons I am not in a metal hospital today. A lot of people just don't seem to understand the therapeutic benefits that being in the water has on the autistic mind.

Veilmenacex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2016, 8:24 am

yay!!

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
This story just goes to show that autistic people need to spend more time in the water. I took up the sport of free diving when I was 8 years old and I can contribute to the fact, that spending a long time in the water is one of the reasons I am not in a metal hospital today. A lot of people just don't seem to understand the therapeutic benefits that being in the water has on the autistic mind.

I totally agree with this last statement; although, as a younger / little guy, I did tend to be a little weird and rambunctious in the water as part of stimming and calming, to the point where lifeguards would whistle me out of the water to ask for a "chat" - likely they were obliquely asking me if I remembered to take medication that morning, or more directly if my parents were around - one even asked if I knew how to swim, which I did, but I suppose he was worried about drowning and lawsuits...feh :P