Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:40 am

So, I was playing Splatoon, right, and one thing I've noticed: the game doesnt seem to really allow for much of the "trolling" sort of behavior that many online games get. It's one of the rare games where I'm just not seeing it happen much.

Which of course brought to mind tons of OTHER games where it sure as hell DOES happen.

So, out of boredom, have many of you encountered this sort of thing much, if you play games online? Any particular examples? Or even just examples of people exploding into anger over amazingly stupid things.

I remember one obnoxious example of anger from playing City of Heroes, way back when. I knew that game very well. As in, seriously knew what I was doing, and able to handle things that theoretically should be quite difficult for whatever class I was playing as. My favorite character that I had was a Blaster, a class that was something of the "glass cannon" of the game... you know the sort. Monstrous damage and such, though in THAT game there was always more to it.

I'd come up with a super-specialized build that was entirely designed around handling hordes of equal or a bit higher level enemies, be they minion or lieutenant types (lieutenants were always stronger and more dangerous than minions). And that game pretty much ALWAYS had large groups of enemies, even when soloing. But this character was made to deal with the sorts of hordes that appeared in group missions.

So, I go into this mission with this group, the usual tons of enemies in the mission, and I start doing what my guy was meant to do: diving in front of enemy hordes, and using specific attack combos to knock ALL of them (that were in front of me) over all at once, while throwing them backwards. As usual, I wasnt really having any trouble with this and was doing my "wreck things" role pretty nicely. Until, that is, the group's tank started berating me for it. He was angry that I was "risking" damage to the others (while I knew EXACTLY how aggro worked, and kept my targets focused on me, so if a mistake WAS made, it'd happen well away from anyone else and wouldnt put them at risk) and so on. Rambled about how HE was supposed to hold enemies at bay (despite having seen him get nearly wrecked at times, while I wasnt taking any real damage). Kept saying how if enemies were focused on HIM, they werent hitting the others. I kept pointing out that enemies that are flat on their back werent hitting anyone at all. Particularly as they were shoved away and had to then get up, and run back towards us before they could attack again, at which point they'd go flying once more.

This arguement went on for some time, and eventually, the guy starts acting like a troll, trying to get targets I didnt intend on focusing on to come at me from odd angles, and at one point somehow getting an Archvillain to attack me directly (I didnt die though, but it was a very strange fight and could have ended terribly). And I'm thinking, you know what, everything was going very well until the complaining started... what the heck is with this guy? If group members are genuinely pulling their weight properly and aiding the party instead of hindering them, who bloody cares about the exact method that it's done in? If it works, it works. Eventually I just left.

I've seen that sort of thing happen in other games as well, mostly watching it happen towards others. "You're kicking ass, yeah, but you're not kicking it THE RIGHT WAY!". So many variations of that. Usually with alot of f-bombs added to it. Easily one of the things that annoys me the most in these games.

So yeah, that's my own example.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 1:53 am

I've been killed by teammates in a few different FPS games....intentional team killing, not accidents.

and ffs, why is "noob" the go-to insult for nearly everything? Not being that good at a game isn't the same as being a noob...I KNOW how to play, I'm just not good.

Oh, and then there's the inappropriate comments. I wasn't even playing online but here's an interesting example of annoying behavior: I was watching 4 Amiibo fight in Smash Bros Wii U, on the Miiverse stage. I think you can see where I'm going with this....1 message kept popping up that was basically just an f-bomb, 1 said 'Marth is a hermaphrodite", 1 insisted Bowser needs to kill his son, and 1 was a drawing of a penis with "sex" written under it. How long until the stage and/or Miiverse itself stop getting supported like Swapnote? People suck....

also, I hate voice chat in multiplayer. I never get people who just want to coordinate with the team, it's always idiots/jerks who never shut up and like to trash talk....

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 2:10 am

newageretrohippie wrote:
I've been killed by teammates in a few different FPS games....intentional team killing, not accidents.

and ffs, why is "noob" the go-to insult for nearly everything? Not being that good at a game isn't the same as being a noob...I KNOW how to play, I'm just not good.

Oh, and then there's the inappropriate comments. I wasn't even playing online but here's an interesting example of annoying behavior: I was watching 4 Amiibo fight in Smash Bros Wii U, on the Miiverse stage. I think you can see where I'm going with this....1 message kept popping up that was basically just an f-bomb, 1 said 'Marth is a hermaphrodite", 1 insisted Bowser needs to kill his son, and 1 was a drawing of a penis with "sex" written under it. How long until the stage and/or Miiverse itself stop getting supported like Swapnote? People suck....

also, I hate voice chat in multiplayer. I never get people who just want to coordinate with the team, it's always idiots/jerks who never shut up and like to trash talk....

I got called a noob because I don't beat games. I've been playing video games since I was very very young. I'm 22 and my first gaming system was a Gameboy Color.

Doesn't noob mean new to gaming to begin with?

People seem to forget the definition of the term. If my attention span were better I would beat games. I even got told that my attention span wasn't cut out for gaming.

Why can't we just enjoy video games for what they are instead of making it a popularity contest? Its gaming! Its supposed to be fun and not a way to damage self esteem.

Sorry for the rant.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:11 am

newageretrohippie wrote:

Oddly, I havent really seen any of the bad posts in the Miiverse stage yet myself. Or in Splatoon's main hub zone, where I keep expecting it to pop up. But it's inevitable, really.

As for the voice chat... yes. It is usually STUPID. Everyone always wants it so badly. How can they possibly play multiplayer games, even with/against randoms, without voice chat?!? They wonder this, and then once they have it, all they do is scream at each other. It's a baffling phenomenon. Heck, even text chat is usually terrible and pointless.

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I got called a noob because I don't beat games. I've been playing video games since I was very very young. I'm 22 and my first gaming system was a Gameboy Color.

Doesn't noob mean new to gaming to begin with?

People seem to forget the definition of the term. If my attention span were better I would beat games. I even got told that my attention span wasn't cut out for gaming.

Why can't we just enjoy video games for what they are instead of making it a popularity contest? Its gaming! Its supposed to be fun and not a way to damage self esteem.

Sorry for the rant.

"Noob" or sometimes n00b usually means someone new to the game in question. Though nowadays people tend to spray it at anyone they consider unskilled, regardless of wether or not that player is actually new to the game.

And I think MOST people have games they never actually finished. Always with the backlogs, usually. And some games are just long.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 3:50 pm

THIS is one of the main reasons that I avoid online games.
I know some people think that acting like this is kinda "immature" and that I should just ignore the trolls and the angry people, but the last thing I want after a tiresome day of work is start to play something to relax and have to deal with kids yelling things about my gaming skills (or my mother).
The thing is that usually when I really like a game I WANT to play at best possible level, but I can't reach this level if I'm under pressure it doesn't matter how easy the game is.
When I decide to jump online on a game that I like is after I decided that I'm playing decently at least. But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean that I have a problem with new people trying to learn the game. Actually, if I'm on a online match and there is someone bad playing that at least say something like "sorry guys, I'm still trying to learn" I'm one of those people who can go out of my way to try to help this person. My problem is with people that do not know how to play, think they do, and, to make things even worse, likes to spit they rage on someone else.

A few cases that comes to mind is people that I met when I was playing WoW.
When I was playing at my best and, for example, joined into a dungeon as DPS I remember finding a good amount of bad tankers who couldn't keep aggro when I started to do more serious dmg. And the best part was always having to read that I was the one playing wrong... "Stealing" their aggro lol Yeah, why not?? On the firsts expansions there was in fact some DPS classes that had some mechanics to control how much threat they generate, but the game is so dumb right now that every tanker have every single needed tool to keep aggro independent of how much damage someone is putting.
It's was even worse when playing as healer and having to do miracles to keep alive people who can't look at visual effects and know when it's time to run from a huge amount of acid that it's under their feet. And when they FINALLY die guess who is the one to blame? You, the healer, of course.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2015, 8:27 pm

Yea I guess I don't really play too many online games with voice chat.
The last online game I really enjoyed was the last of us multiplayer because I love then gameplay of that series and it had some intense multiplayer modes. But even then people still told me that I'm gay and should kill myself.
I really didn't find GTA V all that fun it felt like you were at a disadvantage if you didn't have friends.
It felt like everyone was trolling you or opened fire and chased you the moment they saw you.
I don't play any of those any more. the most I play online is splatoon or MK8, haven't booted up smash bros to play online in a long time because I was pretty laggy and I would et my butt kicked anyway.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 11:28 am

On my 3DS one of the Miis I picked up on Streetpass has "Go suck a wiener" as a greeting. But since he's supposed to be a "grumpy" character, I let it in one ear and out the other. Coincidentally, he's the only Mii visitor so far who is from the US, all the others are, unsurprisingly, Canadian, and have less rude greetings. I'm kind of hoping I'll pick up more Miis from other countries or provinces at least because there will be more tourists around in the summer.

One greeting I use a lot for my own Mii is "A winner is you!" :mrgreen: But when I got the Metroid hat in Find Mii I changed it to "My brain hurts" because it looks like a Metroid is eating my head. :lol:

But anyway, yeah, that's nothing compared to the ignorance of people in most online games. You should always report and block them, but it's like fighting a terminal cancer growth. :( I don't usually like even talking to other people in online games. A couple of times I was called the B word just because I said "Hi" in deadpan fashion. Which you'd think would be hard to tell since it was only in text. I have yet to use voice chat. I don't even have a microphone or whatever it is you need to do that.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 8:07 pm

there is a few things that grind my gears with playing online is this and it is in order.

1. Kids playing games that are to old for them
for example I have heard little kids on GTA V online and man do they have a potty mouth using even the f word.
2.Hackers
cheating in single player I see fine but not in Multiplayer.
3.Trolls
4.Music playing over a Mic
There is 2 ways to do music through a game voice chat and that is line-in which is cleaner but for consoles and PC is the mic that is in the headset. when music is turning on the mic it sounds like I am on the phone with tech support and it picks up the high pitches to. For the high pitch thing some of you can relate.

that is all I can think of in a short time. bit i think that sums up it all i think.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 9:10 pm

I used to play a lot of NHL online (EA NHL from 09-12). What annoyed me there was.

1. Trolls-
Typically there to run their mouths and argue and insist on having the puck the whole time.

2. Rage quitters
Player(s) go into match. They find out quickly they are outmatched and out-skilled by the other team. Usually, a team goes up 3-0 and the players on the losing team disappear. The consequence of quitting is all F grades on the stats, but the rage quitting was still rather annoying, especially if the other team is trying to hack (more in a second)

3. Cheaters/hackers.
Two friends decide to play on opposite teams and one of them decides to play goalie. This is essentially called goal trading if the goalie decides to just let the other player pot pucks in the net consistently. Of course, to get your legend card, you have to consistently get A- ratings across the board over at least 150 games played. the hackers on the other hand would try and find a way to freeze the game upon either quitting the match or making the game loop to a previous Faceoff point in the game due to a faulty connection. The former was done to trick the opponent into leaving the match thinking they have won only to find that the game counted as a DNF on their part. The latter was done to simply make the game not count, but this could also happen to do a bad connection as well.

4. Exploiters
It isn't that much of a problem if you know how to play good defense, but it is rather amusing, but annoying, when the other team (or your own teammates) keep relying on certain goal scoring exploits only to have it not work for them.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 10:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
On my 3DS one of the Miis I picked up on Streetpass has "Go suck a wiener" as a greeting. But since he's supposed to be a "grumpy" character, I let it in one ear and out the other. Coincidentally, he's the only Mii visitor so far who is from the US, all the others are, unsurprisingly, Canadian, and have less rude greetings. I'm kind of hoping I'll pick up more Miis from other countries or provinces at least because there will be more tourists around in the summer.

One greeting I use a lot for my own Mii is "A winner is you!" :mrgreen: But when I got the Metroid hat in Find Mii I changed it to "My brain hurts" because it looks like a Metroid is eating my head. :lol:

But anyway, yeah, that's nothing compared to the ignorance of people in most online games. You should always report and block them, but it's like fighting a terminal cancer growth. :( I don't usually like even talking to other people in online games. A couple of times I was called the B word just because I said "Hi" in deadpan fashion. Which you'd think would be hard to tell since it was only in text. I have yet to use voice chat. I don't even have a microphone or whatever it is you need to do that.

I've had a couple similar incidents happen, surprisingly in Pokemon Omega Ruby and Pokemon Rumble World. In Rumble World, a Mii I got during a Streetpass Weekend said "lick my pu55y"...and then there's the bases in ORAS. 1 leader greets me with the f word, one base belongs to Team Golden Showers where I'm greeted with "I got2pee"...some people are just messed up in the head

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm

Splatoon is the only game I play online.

I for one enjoy the absence of Voice Chat!

Though i do hate playing with strangers for some odd reason, granted nothing bad has ever happened to me on Splatoon.

I have yet to take MK8 and Smash 4 U online...

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:08 am

xenocity wrote:

Though i do hate playing with strangers for some odd reason, granted nothing bad has ever happened to me on Splatoon.

Smash is pretty great online, BUT, I dont recommend it unless you've had alot of practice. Many of the players that appear on there are the very competitive sorts, which shows in their fighting styles and such. But if you've spent some good time with it, then by all means, give it a go!

The one problem: The 4-player matches can be VERY laggy. I'm talking like, slideshows here. One on one matches work just fine.

Wheras MK8 is, ehhh.... if you like lobbies, and like sitting in them while watching the screwball matchmaker make it's futile efforts to not be useless, then that game's the one to go online with! ....seriously, I dont know why that's such an issue. Maybe they'll fix it at some point here, hopefully. Right now though it's better to just race the AI.

And yeah, I"m not too fond of playing with strangers in Splatoon either for that matter, though it's hard to figure out exactly why that is. Not really sure.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:10 am

Misery wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Smash is pretty great online, BUT, I dont recommend it unless you've had alot of practice. Many of the players that appear on there are the very competitive sorts, which shows in their fighting styles and such. But if you've spent some good time with it, then by all means, give it a go!

The one problem: The 4-player matches can be VERY laggy. I'm talking like, slideshows here. One on one matches work just fine.

Wheras MK8 is, ehhh.... if you like lobbies, and like sitting in them while watching the screwball matchmaker make it's futile efforts to not be useless, then that game's the one to go online with! ....seriously, I dont know why that's such an issue. Maybe they'll fix it at some point here, hopefully. Right now though it's better to just race the AI.

And yeah, I"m not too fond of playing with strangers in Splatoon either for that matter, though it's hard to figure out exactly why that is. Not really sure.

Smash 4 online mode is based on connection of each of the players.
If one person has a bad connection, your match will be laggy.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:16 am

xenocity wrote:
Misery wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Well, that explains that. Pretty bloody annoying, really.

The 4-player ones though are fun when they actually DO work.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 12:18 am

Misery wrote:
xenocity wrote:
Misery wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Well, that explains that. Pretty bloody annoying, really.

The 4-player ones though are fun when they actually DO work.

That happens on all online fighters to a degree.
I can't wait to try Online Tourney mode in August.

Paladin99
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jun 2015, 5:43 am

There are many people with bad manners online, as in every community. You'll never know who you'll face and where. I'll admit it's frustrating to be matched with an annoying player, and I understand that.
However, as unfair as it is, I think sometimes it's best to just leave the match and let it go, instead of getting worked up over a misunderstanding or being a subject of trolling. As long as you feel good about what you're doing, there's no reason for surrounding yourself with negativity.
I don't think getting frustrated and starting an argument over a 5 minute quest is good for anyone's health.