Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aluna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2015, 11:51 pm

In the past year of my life I've had more experiences dating other autistic people than ever before, and it brings up interesting challenges and rewards different than when dating someone nuerotypical. And in my case being bipolar even dating another bipolar person vs dating an autistic person who doesnt have bipolar has a lot of interesting differences.

things I've noticed - with two bipolar and autistic people, the hypersexuality comes into play. After a few nights sleeping in the same bed doesn't seem realistic at all because it's so exciting being around each other, and too much sleep is lost.

Something really important I've thought about is how to support a partner in overcoming/managing their mental illness versus encouraging/joining in, as in with OCD or depression, it can be easy to encourage someone's unhealthy behaviors by being able to relate so much

The big thing for me right now is that I'm still understanding exactly what it means to be autistic (the more i read, the more i understand myself), and sharing my 'autism' things with another person who's autistic can be SOOO overwhelming because... they get it... and I realize this big imaginary world that's only belonged to me most of my life could have another person in it, and that's really scary 8O :( :oops: :oops: I suppose just taking my time with it will work out though, at least I hope.

As I always say... friends that stim together, stay together!

Share thoughts on what I've said or share your own experiences? :wink:

calicopie
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2023, 5:01 pm

Am bipolar, have dated both autistic and bipolar people.
The hyper sexuality I found to be more of an issue with my bipolar partner, at least when we were synced up. Oh my god. It was like we fed off of each other in a never-ending intensity loop. There was no sleeping, ever, when we were both hyper sexual. The most intense, multi-dimensional sex of my life. But that would push us both further into an episode, unable to self regulate and unable to regulate each other.
The hyper sexuality was more manageable and fun with my ASD partner. He broke some of his sexual rules with me, which he attributed to a fated connection and I to him being susceptible to my chemical outputs when we were both our own forms of hyper sexual. ASD people get hypersexuality, but for us BD babes, it comes with a whole host of chemical reactions that non-bipolar people don’t have and are, in my experience, easily enchanted by. Until it gets to be too much or I crash, which of course ended our relationship. He accused me of pretending to be happy and in love in order to manipulate him :( irl I was undiagnosed and in a depressive episode

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 5:31 pm

My limited experience of women who are both bipolar & autistic is that one particular person who I knew for several years seemed to be in a permanent swinging pendulum state of extreme energy and extreme fatigue.

Also, emotional instability is a feature of bipolar.

For both of those reasons I wouldn't want to date a bipolar woman.

I imagine there will be many emotionally turbulent autistic folk however, so sticking to your type is a good plan.

Bipolar people can be very fun, but they can be a challenge for more boring people.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 5:43 pm

I certainly wouldn't be against dating someone with bipolar.

They could be against dating me, though. I'm only practically perfect in every way. I've got a few, teeny-tiny flaws. HOWEVER, I am incredibly humble. In fact, I'm the 'umblest person I know, so maybe I'd still stand a chance if we were otherwise compatible.