Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2015, 9:02 pm

I've had them on occasion (normally when very depressed, stressed or sleep-deprived) for years but since starting a new antidepressant medication I've had them every day. They're mild and very brief but so frequent and I'm getting stressed out thinking about them so much so considering telling my doctor and asking if it's possible to change medication.

They're ranged from things that are already there moving and distorting, to colours, to everyday objects, to bizarre objects, to people and faces and facial features, and more...I tend to know they're not real because they disappear or are simply unlikely, but sometimes I end up checking repeatedly to make sure

I'm not sure why I have these. I'm not diagnosed with any condition that explains them.

Anyone else? I'm struggling to find people with similar experiences.

Judas
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2015, 1:47 pm

I used to, but I lost them. Really miss it honestly.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 1:49 am

I am not sure if this qualifies as visual hallucinations, per se, but when I close my eyes to go to sleep, I will occasionally see 2 or 3 colors that quickly morph into an animated, but realistic face that appears to be moving it's lips, as if speaking. I have also had this happen where the colors morph into a bird-like creature that will eventually fly out of my field of vision. I can almost control the morphing thing that happens. It's completely weird to me, and, the first time it happened, it somewhat scared me, but I've since, become used to it.

sparrowblue

11 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

Britte wrote:
I am not sure if this qualifies as visual hallucinations, per se, but when I close my eyes to go to sleep, I will occasionally see 2 or 3 colors that quickly morph into an animated, but realistic face that appears to be moving it's lips, as if speaking. I have also had this happen where the colors morph into a bird-like creature that will eventually fly out of my field of vision. I can almost control the morphing thing that happens. It's completely weird to me, and, the first time it happened, it somewhat scared me, but I've since, become used to it.

Those sound like hypnagogic hallucinations -- hallucinations that you have while falling asleep. Yours sounds quite interesting, thanks for sharing. From what I've read about these, they are considered relatively "normal" and nothing to worry about unless they're very frequent and distressing. :) My post was more about hallucinating in the daytime while completely awake, but I've had these too, though different ones to yours.

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2015, 8:43 pm

Isn't the brain such a wonderful thing? I've spent so many hours enjoying the light shows behind my eyes. But visual hallucinations when not intoxicated and or not using drugs are not a good sign. I've fought all my my life against my personal demons. Please get a diagnoses.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

DreamSheep
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2015, 9:30 am

Sometimes when going to sleep (and feeling anxious too) I will sometimes have a big appearance of something that scares me, kind of an image that superimposes itself on top of everything else - though I know it is generated by my brain. It probably isn't quite the same thing, but it is still something I 'see' that I can't 'stop seeing' that is not 'really there'.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

sparrowblue wrote:
Thank you both for the replies.

Britte wrote:

Those sound like hypnagogic hallucinations -- hallucinations that you have while falling asleep. Yours sounds quite interesting, thanks for sharing. From what I've read about these, they are considered relatively "normal" and nothing to worry about unless they're very frequent and distressing. :) My post was more about hallucinating in the daytime while completely awake, but I've had these too, though different ones to yours.

Thank you for explaining what my hallucinations are (or, may be). Yes, they are truly interesting. They aren't distressing, but I have wondered if, perhaps they could be a byproduct or symptom of something not right with my brain/mind. I don't worry about it, just ponder it. I would say they occur approximately 8 times per month, or less. Not sure if that would be considered as 'frequent'. It is nice to know that you've experienced them, as well. : )

yaskfls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2015, 8:22 am

I have the hypnagogic hallucinations, and always have had.
I also have some other thing that is probably a visual hallucination or the like (posted a thread a few days ago, that led me to look at hallucinations). The are quite realistic, like being teleported to another place (mostly a forrest like setting). It only happens when I am overwhelmed and very tired which is rare. It is prett cool actually but very brief :-)

Dyscalculia, self diagnosed