Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

c700
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2015, 9:58 am

I find it very unpleasant to take showers. Even slightly cold water is incredibly painful and bothering - it's like torture. And I have to withstand it while trying to get the optimal water temperature. Not only that, but it's incredibly bothering to exit the shower, as then I feel extremely cold. And then again, it's like torture.

Can anybody relate to this? Is it common for people on the spectrum?

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 10:04 am

yes, i can relate. my shower sensory issues were much more prevelant when i was a kid. if cold is your problem, i've found that letting the shower run at it's hottest temperature for a few minutes will warm up the room, then you can adjust the temperature to suit you. other than that, just get it over as quickly as possible :| try putting on a robe IMMEDIATELY after exiting the shower.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 10:09 am

Yes, I hate showers. I only take them because I hate being dirty more.

One thing you should do is get a shower head that comes attached to a hose--you know, the kind that you hold in your hand and point away from you when you turn the water on, while you get the temperature right. That way, you don't have to deal with the cold water, except for it splashing your feet and your hands, until you get the temperature right. It's easy to install, too; you just unscrew the old, fixed shower head and screw the new one on.

Have your towel within reach. Dry off while you're still standing in the shower, if it's big enough that that's possible, or immediately after you step out. The faster you dry off, the faster the cold, wet feeling goes away. You can also dry your body with a hair dryer after you dry with a towel, if the damp feeling is too much for you.

Maximizing your efficiency is a way to make your shower as short as possible. Always wash your body in the same order every time, make it a routine that you don't have to think about, so that each action reminds you of the next one. If you only have to spend five minutes in sensory purgatory, it's much more bearable.

Short hair helps. You spend much less effort on washing it. If you're a guy, or a girl and don't mind looking a bit odd, a buzz cut is probably the most convenient haircut of all. You would probably have to get used to the feeling of air on your scalp though. I always notice that for the first few days after a buzz cut, but not having my hair brush against my forehead and neck anymore is such a relief that it's worth it for me.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2015, 12:57 pm

I have a huge problem with baths, but not showers. I don't like to get in before it's the right temperate even when we had a head that could be pointed away. Our temperature dial is separate from the on/off so I leave it in the same position, turn the shower on and whip my hand out as quickly as possible and then wait a few minutes outside the shower until it is very unlikely that our instant heat boiler won't have the right temperature.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

I don't have much of a problem wheb it comes to temperature. However, the shower head does; the water spray pattern needs to be right. If it doesn't, too far apart or to too close together, it'll feel like I'm getting poked all over my skin constantly or I am getting hit by like a rock. Whenever I take a shower after exercise I can not stand hot or warm water. If it's not cold I feel like I'm getting drenched in sweat.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm

I cannot do any cold water showers, or pools ect. Now I do like the water hot. I took me a while to find a shower head that was soothing to stand under. Once I have the water set, I will stay under it till the hot water tank starts to run low and the water starts to cool. I also have a hot tub out on my deck and I absolutly love that. Very relaxing before bed time. Dodger.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 1:58 am

Ugh. Showers make me shudder. If I wanted a creepy-crawly sensation all over my body I'd go lie naked on an ants nest.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 4:12 pm

As someone else said, it's baths I have a problem with.

I love showers, but I did once use someone's shower that had such high pressure that couldn't be adjusted without messing with the temperature too, that it felt like needles on my skin. I didn't like that. I like a shower head and a water pressure that gives a medium-gentle rain on my skin.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

I don't get in until the water has reached a medium heat, I like being in the shower after the initial partially wet and dry bit is over and I use the hose attachment to keep my skin an even temperature all over.

I bring an oil filled radiator into the bathroom and park it right beside the shower on full heat, even in summer, and place my towels on either end of it, so that when I'm finished and open the shower doors I don't have that horrible cold temperature difference on my skin, the warm towels are a lovely bonus and help dry out my hair quicker.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

I'm not a big fan of taking showers--I wish I didn't have to. I don't have huge sensory issues in the shower, but I do adjust the temperature a lot--first it's too cold, then too hot. I also tend to get tired after standing for too long, so even in the amount of time the shower takes I get tired. So taking a shower is pretty much an unpleasant waste of time. My least favourite part of the experience, though, is combing my hair afterward. Even though I have straight hair, I find that combing my hair takes too long and is painful.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 5:24 pm

I too play a game of "how fast can I do this". I haven't timed it, but when I want to I bet I'm not too far off from 60 seconds.

The worst is drying off after. Though, I once lived where the bath had two large heat lamps in the ceiling above where one dries off. They felt great!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

I like the shower, I like to think in there and its good way to remove yourself for awhile. Sensory stuff would probably be more an issue in the bath or hot tub, I've always pretty sensitive about submerging myself in hot water like that. Always seems scorching hot for some reason to me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 7:22 pm

I don't like showers, I prefer baths. I don't see why I should perform a task standing up when I can do it lying down. It's easier to clean my feet in the bath too, I can't balance very well if I'm standing on one leg. I also don't like setting the water temperature for a shower, like somebody said it's hard to avoid getting cold (or scalding hot) water on you, and I don't like the sensation of being in a shower either. I slipped on the tiles while taking a shower in a hotel room recently, and came very near to getting injured, it could have been pretty bad, there was a lot of hard porcelain around. Give me my own bathtub any time.

I also like baths better because I get lower back pain and taking a hot bath eases it. And I like the sensation when I've just got into the bath and I lie back in the hot water - there's an initial reluctant feeling and then a really good feeling as the warmth penetrates my back and shoulders. Great on nasty winter days. I haven't got mixer taps, so it's quite an art getting the temperature right - the hot water storage tank only holds just enough water to provide one bath of reasonable depth and temperature, so if I put too much cold water in, the mission fails. But I've had a lot of practice, so I can get it right intuitively.

I don't know anything about hot tubs. I think they're more an American thing. If they're any less private than my bathroom, I don't think I'd like them at all.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 7:36 pm

I guess it muft feel good if you're a female :P

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 8:56 pm

I like water and showers and pools and baths, but I hate the feeling when you get out.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 6:24 am

What the heck is THAT supposed to mean?

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I guess it muft feel good if you're a female :P

Get your head out of the gutter. Personally I've never used a shower for what you seem to be suggesting. Jesus.

Check this out:
Positive effect of negative ions

Moving water creates negative ions in the air; some people find it to be reviving and good-vibe inducing to be near oceans, waterfalls and.......their shower. I happen to be sensitive to negative ions so much so that even the spray devices that moisten the produce in supermarkets make me feel a different energy when in those aisles. I also pick up on them standing behind waterfalls. I also get the effect from standing in my shower just letting the water fall.

Some people's enjoyments can be innocent ones, you know. Not everything is dirty or sexual.