Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jul 2015, 8:19 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
GamerGate was not about Anita Sarkeesian. She was the catalyst to its media explosion, but the entire purpose of GamerGate was about sexism in video gaming: sexual harassment of females in gaming culture, sexist attitudes in the gaming industry, gender representation in video games...that's what it was about, not what one or two specific bloggers/developers had to say about it, though their extreme harassment is definitely a focal point. There's a bigger issue here, and you're focusing on only a small aspect. I don't think we're quite on the same page.

If I wanted to talk about Sarkeesian, I would. I've made not a single mention of anything she's said or any of her opinions, only using her in-person harassment as an example of the sexist extremism of GamerGaters. Continuing to explicitly focus on Anita Sarkeesian at the exclusion of the female gaming community as a whole is inadvertently trivializing all harassment which happens to all other women. Sarkeesian could've been a neo-Nazi for all I care, it still doesn't excuse rape threats. You brought up Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, what about Alan Berg? He was a controversial radio host who received occasional threats right up until he was actually shot to death by irate listeners. This is why threats can't be taken lightly or brushed off as "jokes", because there is always the potential psycho who would actually carry it out. We both agree that violence in video games does not breed violence in people, but that doesn't change the fact that there are still a handful of psychotic people who have committed crimes claiming they were influenced by specific games. As long as there are potentially unstable persons in the gaming community, threats of rape should be treated seriously, with zero tolerance.

Do you want them shot or imprisoned?

I used Anita as an example as she is the one with some sort of intellectual backing and since female depictions in video games are her wheelhouse. Isn't that what this thread is titled for?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:07 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Do you want them shot or imprisoned? I used Anita as an example as she is the one with some sort of intellectual backing and since female depictions in video games are her wheelhouse. Isn't that what this thread is titled for?
Ignore him. His style of debate is to introduce "Red Herrings" to divert attention away from the core topic, and then deprecate his opponents' arguments as irrelevant.

We all know that women who protest against sexism in general are often the recipients of intimidation, condescension, or both from men. Women who protest against blatant misogyny from men are often targets of threats - harassment, rape, and murder - from men who seem to feel more "manly" when they can force women into submission and silence.

Those men are pitiful indeed. Stand up to even one of them in person and watch them go all apologetic and defensive. So they hide behind their Twitter accounts to threaten women with beatings, mutilation, rape, torture, and the most hideous deaths imaginable.

If I were a moderator, I would ban any member who openly expresses misogyny or misandry, and not lose a moment's sleep over it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Do you want them shot or imprisoned? I used Anita as an example as she is the one with some sort of intellectual backing and since female depictions in video games are her wheelhouse. Isn't that what this thread is titled for?
Ignore him. His style of debate is to introduce "Red Herrings" to divert attention away from the core topic, and then deprecate his opponents' arguments as irrelevant.

We all know that women who protest against sexism in general are often the recipients of intimidation, condescension, or both from men. Women who protest against blatant misogyny from men are often targets of threats - harassment, rape, and murder - from men who seem to feel more "manly" when they can force women into submission and silence.

Those men are pitiful indeed. Stand up to even one of them in person and watch them go all apologetic and defensive. So they hide behind their Twitter accounts to threaten women with beatings, mutilation, rape, torture, and the most hideous deaths imaginable.

If I were a moderator, I would ban any member who openly expresses misogyny or misandry, and not lose a moment's sleep over it.

Are you talking to me or at me? If you want to debate then debate, don't be a coward. I didn't take this 'off topic', every post I've made in here has been in response to someone else. I wasn't the first to mention Anita Sarkeesian, Gamergate, harassment, any of that. Perhaps I'm just mistaken by your vague butthurt responses and you're speaking about Skibz888, I'd say don't be too hard on him since I like him and enjoy responding to his posts. He did his best on the wrong side of an argument, at least he tried to defend his position.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:58 pm

Forgive me for taking your side, then.

I'm outta here.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Forgive me for taking your side, then.

I'm outta here.

Are you being sarcastic? I honestly don't know. I don't know what side you are on, your posts confuse me so I apologize if that wasn't your intention altho I'm not sure how I am suppose to tell that from your posts. Tolerance is key, we all have to learn(myself included) that there are people in the world with differing opinions on certain things than our own and we need to try to understand how they came that view since it is probably understandable from their perspective since people typically advocate for their own self-interest. I try to be civil when I talk to people, I figure you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. There is no point hurling insults at each other, it accomplishes nothing. Being blunt isn't an identity in of itself, it isn't even really a positive character trait, being blunt all the time is just being an as*hole. You can disagree with someone without taking it personally, you can disagree with someone without thinking they're the embodiment of Satan.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:15 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
It doesn't excuse the behavior to say you don't know gamers like that...I mean I wouldn't associate with a gamer like that if I did know one, not knowing any does not imply one would be ok with that behavior.

When someone's first response to sexism in the video gaming community is incredulity because "I personally don't know any gamers like that", it's enabling. It's one thing to say that you simply don't know anyone like that, but it's an entirely different when you use that reasoning to deny that a problem exists.

No, it isnt enabling. I think you mistake what some of us here are saying.

I often use the phrase "I know someone" or "I know of someone" or something along that lines when speaking. But, and this is important, it DOESNT automatically mean "I know and am friends with someone". Oh, it CAN mean that, sure. But typically, it can also mean "this is a person I encounter from time to time". I could absolutely hate that person's guts and still say that "Oh, I know them". I knew half of my damn highschool, for instance.... though I only befriended about 4 of them. But... I knew so many of the others more than well enough to count.

So I'm not sure about the others here, but when *I* said that, I also meant MOST GAMERS I'VE RUN INTO. I dont have to know them as "friends". But when you encounter someone enough... like them or loathe them... you learn a bit about them, and that fulfills my requirement for saying "I know them".

In other words, when I said that up above, I didnt mean just among my own small circle of friends.... obviously, I dont hang with anyone that would be such an ass towards others, women or otherwise. No, I meant a much, MUCH larger group. Even among that group, I've not met any that would condone any of that crap. And I tend to meet alot of gamers as a whole, because reasons.

Sorry, I just wanted to point that out, since I've heard that one thrown around once before, and I get people taking the wrong impressions from things I say pretty damn frequently. Part of why I dont speak much IRL, really.

Either way though, I cant imagine that anyone in this thread accepts or condones or supports any of that nasty crap whatsoever. Or anyone that does it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:27 am

I like scantily clad female characters as much as any other guy, but I think that if we have so many scantily clad females, we should also have more scantily clad males to make things fair. Girls deserve fanservice too! :D

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 3:21 am

Jacoby wrote:
Do you want them shot or imprisoned?

What? Want who? Sorry, but I have literally no idea what you're talking about. I think we're on two completely different subjects here.

Jacoby wrote:
I used Anita as an example as she is the one with some sort of intellectual backing and since female depictions in video games are her wheelhouse. Isn't that what this thread is titled for?

This thread has veered so wildly on and off topic it's hard to figure out what anything's about anymore. Anita is a key figure in GamerGate, but her status doesn't make her wholly representative of women in gaming, and that's what GamerGate intended to do: shed some light on the female gaming demographic and the issues which affect them. Of course Ms. Sarkeesian covers that subject in her work, but I'm not drawing anything from that: I was merely using her and Zoe Quinn's in-person harassment as an example of how far sexist extremism can go.

I apologize if my tone came off as terse; I don't mean to be argumentative, I just get worked up over issues of sexism, racism, prejudice, etc., and even more so when I perceive any trace of that mentality. I actually left WrongPlanet for several months after there was a similar thread (which I didn't contribute to) where some men agreed that making rape jokes was okay. That sort of stuff appalls me...like genuinely kind of horrifies me. I'm sure your intentions were purely innocent, but when I'm going off about the moral reprehensibility of rape threats and I get responses dismissing it as a joke or listing reasons why the recipients are supposedly problematic people, I can't help but interpret that as being an excuse or justification of sorts. Rape is a touchy, controversial topic...sometimes it's necessary to tiptoe around it, because in instances like this, you never know who can be offended by it.

One thing's for true: I'm certainly not touching hot-button issues on this site anymore. I had far less headaches when all my posts were just about bodily functions and '70s rock bands. :x

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 9:39 am

Whatever. Don't sweat it, it's no fun if everybody agrees with you. As I said, I liked that you engaged even if I disagreed. I've commented on hot button issues on here for years now, I find it stimulating and a good way to take my mind off whatever might be going in my life at the time. Current events are a special interest of mine. I imagine I'd probably have more friends on here if I stuck to talking about music and just partaking in counting games too. For a lot of people it seems politics has become a secular religion and you're not going to debate when you think you have God on your side literally or figuratively.

PPR isn't so bad tho, Love and Dating is probably the most bitter and angry place on this site.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 3:46 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like scantily clad female characters as much as any other guy, but I think that if we have so many scantily clad females, we should also have more scantily clad males to make things fair. Girls deserve fanservice too! :D
Dudes clad solely in tiny metal codpieces! Where the sacred manhood is protected in Elven-forged armor, and held in place by enchanted leather thongs. :cheers:

But yeah, if a game has scantily clad females, they should have scantily clad males, and alternately if they have practically dressed males, they should have practically dressed females. It would be cool to have an option, so that those that want to have a character scantily clad can, and those that don't, can choose otherwise. 8)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 6:43 am

beneficii wrote:
Now, granted, I do like Final Fantasy series, at least up through the PSX games, but one thing I thought strange and made me feel uncomfortable playing the series was the tendency for female characters to be scantily clad.

Yeah, that makes me uncomfortable too. I don't have to go further than my beloved favorite games of all time: Pokemon. Why does the female character you can play show off so much skin compared to the male? Why can't she just wear the same clothes as he does (which are always much nicer anyway, but that's beside the point).
Its some thing that annoys (and kinda disgusts) me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 1:08 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Now, granted, I do like Final Fantasy series, at least up through the PSX games, but one thing I thought strange and made me feel uncomfortable playing the series was the tendency for female characters to be scantily clad.

Yeah, that makes me uncomfortable too. I don't have to go further than my beloved favorite games of all time: Pokemon. Why does the female character you can play show off so much skin compared to the male? Why can't she just wear the same clothes as he does (which are always much nicer anyway, but that's beside the point).
Its some thing that annoys (and kinda disgusts) me.
I think the excuse often given is that supposedly most gamers are male, and seeing a scantily clad female is 'enjoyable.' However, seeing another male done in this same manner (scantily clad) isn't enjoyable, because it would look too 'homoerotic' which makes many men squirm (even though this scantily clad male would mainly be fanservice to the ladies.)

Personally, I'd love it to be choice of whether to have a character be scantily clad (male or female) although if it came down to one, I'd want practical clothing. Nothing breaks immersion worse then seeing a woman running around in the dead of winter with snow on the ground clad in nothing but a fur bikini and some tiny bits of metal 'armor.'

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 6:58 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
You're directly asking me for statistics, then immediately negate the validity of statistics by saying they "leave out variables and other factors" and have "exceptions". Then you say you're "not denying the issues" I've presented? There's an inherent contradiction to your post...

If you're only going to nitpick whatever I present - and for a subject which was only tangentially related to my larger issue of sexism specifically within the gaming community and the events of GamerGate - then I respectfully ask of you to do your own research. If you can find any unbiased polls that indicate women are exceedingly happy and satisfied with the current state of gender politics, then I'll buy you a drink.

I did not deny that women face sexism...I just pointed out its not specifically an issue of the gaming community, I think general sexism that exists can seep into things like gamer culture. Basically I don't think the issue comes from gaming specifically...and based on personal experience of gaming I can say I personally have not run into or seen much specific sexism. Basically as a female 'gamer' I regularly play an online multiplayer game called League Of Legends, I do not feel threatened by fellow male gamers or like they are specifically more sexist than any other groups I've interacted with. So my point was I personally don't feel 'threatened' as a female gamer so I its probably inaccurate for an article to suggest female gamers across the board feel threatened and offended by the typical 'gamer' demographic when I'm probably not the only one.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm

Heathens ! God HATES League of Legends !

Sweetleaf wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
You're directly asking me for statistics, then immediately negate the validity of statistics by saying they "leave out variables and other factors" and have "exceptions". Then you say you're "not denying the issues" I've presented? There's an inherent contradiction to your post...

If you're only going to nitpick whatever I present - and for a subject which was only tangentially related to my larger issue of sexism specifically within the gaming community and the events of GamerGate - then I respectfully ask of you to do your own research. If you can find any unbiased polls that indicate women are exceedingly happy and satisfied with the current state of gender politics, then I'll buy you a drink.

I did not deny that women face sexism...I just pointed out its not specifically an issue of the gaming community, I think general sexism that exists can seep into things like gamer culture. Basically I don't think the issue comes from gaming specifically...and based on personal experience of gaming I can say I personally have not run into or seen much specific sexism. Basically as a female 'gamer' I regularly play an online multiplayer game called League Of Legends, I do not feel threatened by fellow male gamers or like they are specifically more sexist than any other groups I've interacted with. So my point was I personally don't feel 'threatened' as a female gamer so I its probably inaccurate for an article to suggest female gamers across the board feel threatened and offended by the typical 'gamer' demographic when I'm probably not the only one.

The LandOver Baptist Church still welcomes you « unsaved blasphemers » into our memberships & from being an Abomination in God's eyes by learning about how & why such games are Satanic !

[Disclaimer: Post may include satire (i.e.: You might want to think twice about a literal-interpretation)]

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 9:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well I say that even if it is not a problem "of" the gaming community it is still a problem "in" the gaming community. There are undoubtedly parts of the community where it is practically non-existent, but there are places where it is still a problem, otherwise there would not be such horrible messages sent to women involved in scandals to get what they do. Maybe some like me are pushing thoughts too hard, but I believe that the gaming community can better ourselves before many other parts of society because we are a largely younger people who can interact with each other around the world, and with our minds not our bodies.

This meeting of minds is what Gaming can really bring from the multiplayer experiences, and if our vessels for our meeting of minds are skewed wrong with gender representation, then we are poisoning ourselves. There could even be no problem with scantily clad female characters being a part, but then we also have to accept the male version too. If a good portion of male gamers like scantily clad women, then what is the equivalent for you ladies.

And what is damning is you can find a huge amount of male gamers saying that gaming is a boys club because that is what numbers say. Even if the numbers point to the statistic of more female gamers playing "casual games", that does not mean we cannot join our two genders together more, in fact it is pointing to a problem. And truth is that there has been a barrier for entry that has prevented the games that bring about the games to make it fair, and as the user base we should be respecting some equality.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 1:39 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well I say that even if it is not a problem "of" the gaming community it is still a problem "in" the gaming community. There are undoubtedly parts of the community where it is practically non-existent, but there are places where it is still a problem, otherwise there would not be such horrible messages sent to women involved in scandals to get what they do. Maybe some like me are pushing thoughts too hard, but I believe that the gaming community can better ourselves before many other parts of society because we are a largely younger people who can interact with each other around the world, and with our minds not our bodies.

This meeting of minds is what Gaming can really bring from the multiplayer experiences, and if our vessels for our meeting of minds are skewed wrong with gender representation, then we are poisoning ourselves. There could even be no problem with scantily clad female characters being a part, but then we also have to accept the male version too. If a good portion of male gamers like scantily clad women, then what is the equivalent for you ladies.

And what is damning is you can find a huge amount of male gamers saying that gaming is a boys club because that is what numbers say. Even if the numbers point to the statistic of more female gamers playing "casual games", that does not mean we cannot join our two genders together more, in fact it is pointing to a problem. And truth is that there has been a barrier for entry that has prevented the games that bring about the games to make it fair, and as the user base we should be respecting some equality.

It's a problem in every community...because its a larger problem in society. Also lots of people play video games, all different kinds of people, people with professional careers even. And I suppose if imagery in a game bothers me I wont play that game...but I don't really care if other people do. Also we can't exactly just force more females into gaming if they don't enjoy it...I mean it certainly should not be discouraged for them to play but you can't force a higher demographic of a group. So it also should be looked at how many don't play video games because they feel social pressure not to, where the social pressure comes from, or if it's a lack of interest in which case all developers could really do is attempt to make games that are more appealing to females...even a lot of girls prefer female characters that look 'attractive' so they can't tone them down too much. But I don't think forcing already existing games to alter their characters and change their story-lines is the right approach.