Am I socially impaired enough to have aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 8:15 am

As the topic suggests I am wondering if I am socially impaired enough to have aspergers? Top clarify I do not have a diagnose of aspergers (yet) but am thinking of getting evaluated. I already have an autism-like diagnose. But I am not sure if I am socially impaired enough for being a hypothetical aspie.
I have trouble with:
Understanding sarcasm/jokes when people I don't know make them
Understanding other people
Being able to "poor myself in someone else's shoe"
Am often misunderstood by other people (includes family members, teachers friends etc) as being mean/self centered
Cannot read facial expressions accurately
I am very literal
Get stressed/anxious when I do not understand/know something
Do not like when my normal routine is disturbing (although I can change my routine for good reasons)
Feel anxious in social situations
I stim
Doing something I do not like
Getting many verbal instructions at the same time

Etc etc...
I have the symptoms of aspergers but do not know if they are severe enough for a diagnose?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 8:17 am

I would not be able to tell, based upon a written presentation.

I would have to actually see you in person, in action, over a period of a few days.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would not be able to tell, based upon a written presentation.

I would have to actually see you in person, in action, over a period of a few days.

I understand. Although how socially impaired would you say the people with diagnosed aspergers are?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 8:41 am

In truth, there are people with Asperger's who have been able to adjust well to things, and to really not show much social impairment at all. People with Asperger's have the cognitive ability to learn from experience.

Other people with Asperger's have relatively more "severe" social impairment. It could be because their "condition" is more severe--or it could be because one refuses to make adjustments.

To determine all this, one would really have to "get to know" the person.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 8:43 am

You already have a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. Asperger's, Autistic Disorder (Kanner's), and PDD-NOS are all different diagnoses of autism. Since you already have one, it's not possible to get another diagnosis of a different type of autism... to my knowledge. The symptoms of PDD-NOS and Asperger's overlap and it's one of the reasons that the three of them are no longer separate diagnoses, but now given the name "Autistic Spectrum Disorder".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive ... #Subgroups

I guess you're part of the first subgroup but obviously I can't tell. I'm not a professional or anything.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:24 am

iliketrees wrote:
You already have a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. Asperger's, Autistic Disorder (Kanner's), and PDD-NOS are all different diagnoses of autism. Since you already have one, it's not possible to get another diagnosis of a different type of autism... to my knowledge. The symptoms of PDD-NOS and Asperger's overlap and it's one of the reasons that the three of them are no longer separate diagnoses, but now given the name "Autistic Spectrum Disorder".

I guess you're part of the first subgroup but obviously I can't tell. I'm not a professional or anything.

Well ish yes. It's all very confusing, but the only specification to my diagnose is "difficulty with social reprocity"
So I am not quite sure what that means.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:26 am

It means, basically, that you don't respond in a social way when somebody tries to socialize with you.

You don't "return" the social overture.

I doubt that you do this. But in its most extreme form, when one lacks "social reciprocity," one does not say "hi" when somebody else says "hi" to that person.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

teksla wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Well ish yes. It's all very confusing, but the only specification to my diagnose is "difficulty with social reprocity"
So I am not quite sure what that means.

I guess the easiest way to think about it is that they all have the same symptoms. Just autistic disorder and Asperger's are exact descriptions, but PDD-NOS is those who fit the criteria for an ASD but not a specific one. So I don't think there is any description other than that. That's my understanding at least. :?