Do you think Aspies are more likely to need glasses?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:26 pm

Do you think people on the spectrum are more likely to need glasses? I don't really know, but some people on here have claimed that people on the spectrum are more likely to wear glasses. Maybe they don't like contact lenses as much.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 3:31 pm

I used to wear glasses, but that's because I only wanted to fit in at the church I go to.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 4:10 pm

Probably because we tend to spend way too much time in front of computer.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 4:21 pm

I doubt it. Needing glasses has more to do with the physiology of your eyes than with your brain.

I could see refusal of contact lenses being an autistic thing, though.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm

I'm going to say yes I think we are.
I have worn contacts before but most aren't comfortable and I prefer my glasses.
They also protect my eyes when I'm working on things or with power tools.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 5:30 pm

No, but we're more likely to wear the glasses for logical reasons rather than go around blind for esthetic reasons.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

I can't see how it would mean we were more likely to need glasses. But I can see how compared to nts we're more likely to wear glasses than contacts.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:29 pm

Admittedly all, (no exaggeration) ALL people I have ever met in real life or seen on documentaries or spoken to online who have Asperger's or Down's Syndrome wore glasses. Oh, tell a lie, there was one Autistic girl who I briefly met as a child who was not wearing glasses, but she might be wearing glasses now as an adult. The majority of ASD members here seem to wear glasses too, so I've read in earlier topics.

The only ASD person I know who doesn't wear glasses is me. But I need glasses, as my eyesight isn't great. But I don't want to feel like a stereotypical Aspie. I could wear contacts, but I think they will be too fiddly for me. Laser eye surgery sounds the best bet, but I have heard unsettling stories about people who have had that.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm

Hard to say because I've seen pictures of people whom are on the spectrum wear glasses and I've some whom don't. However, I'm on the spectrum and I wear glasses not to look cool but because I need them to read. Even tho I wear transitions I wish they would have ones that would tint to dark black due to the fact I am sensitive to bright lights :-/

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The only ASD person I know who doesn't wear glasses is me. But I need glasses, as my eyesight isn't great. But I don't want to feel like a stereotypical Aspie.

What is the stereotypical Aspie? I mean if you don't get the wide framed glasses or go for the 'vintage' 50's look I don't think you'd have an issue with appearing stereotypical...Hell I wear thin framed glasses I don't think I would come across as stereotypical.

Solitario
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm

Autism begins early in brain development. The eyes also develop early. In fact these two are the first to develop and do so simultaneously do they not?

The problem with asking this question is that science doesn't know a lot about what causes eye diseases that cause people to use glasses yet. Or why certain populations use glasses far more often than others apparently just because they live in a different geographical location.

You scored a total of 40

If you scored...
Then...
34 & up Autism Likely

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

I have both myopia and astigmatism in both of my eyes so contacts would be complicated. I believe you need hard or weighted contacts or something. Just seems more trouble than it's worth and knowing me I'd either be annoyed by their entire existence, put them in wrong, or fall asleep in them. Glasses you pick up and put on your head and take them off to shower, sleep, or clean them. Not to mention I'm used to pushing them up so if I'm not wearing them I'd end up poking myself in the eye and damaging the contacts or something.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2015, 3:13 pm

Most of my local friends I know who are on the spectrum don't wear glasses. I can only think of one girl that does wear them all the time. Some of us like myself might have some cheap store bought specs for reading in dark places, but never use them outside or well lit places indoors. (Mine are the small lensed librarian type which aren't very noticebale anyway.)
My guess is that I'm in the early stages of cataracts and will need surgery eventually as both my NT parents did.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm

1401b wrote:
No, but we're more likely to wear the glasses for logical reasons rather than go around blind for esthetic reasons.

Haha, if this forum had some sort of karma system I'd +1 you for that.

No not really, aspies are stereotyped a lot and one of the stereotypes is glasses. I don't have glasses and I have Aspergers, but I'll probably need them soon.

People with AS come in all shape, size and variety.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:25 pm

iliketrees wrote:
I have both myopia and astigmatism in both of my eyes so contacts would be complicated. I believe you need hard or weighted contacts or something. Just seems more trouble than it's worth and knowing me I'd either be annoyed by their entire existence, put them in wrong, or fall asleep in them. Glasses you pick up and put on your head and take them off to shower, sleep, or clean them. Not to mention I'm used to pushing them up so if I'm not wearing them I'd end up poking myself in the eye and damaging the contacts or something.

You are getting close to the 1000 posts mark.

You also need to take off classes when you are going swimming and when you are jumping on the trampoline, at least it's a good idea, my brother broke his glasses twice jumping on the trampoline.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 4:08 pm

iliketrees wrote:

I have astigmatism and I sometimes wear contacts. Since they're weighted they spin around on my finger. It's kind of annoying. I usually wear them when it's sunny or I'm doing athletic stuff.