Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

madbirdgirl
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2015, 3:07 am

Ok, so... I started my current job about 6 months ago. I work with a small group of servers in a retirement community. We wait tables for old-timers. Anyway, there's this guy co-worker that I find VERY attractive, and I've done everything in my power to HIDE my crush. He wasn't very nice to me at first and neither were the other servers because it's the sort of place that gives newcomers a hard time.
I did, however, notice him looking at me from across the room a few times when he thought I wouldn't notice. Once I walked in with my hair down and saw him staring at me for a solid 6 seconds with interest. I looked away and noticed he was still staring.
He is an introvert and he hardly ever speaks to me. He sometimes does kind things for me like hold open doors.
It's been 6 months and we've never had a proper conversation because we are so nervous around eachother.
I went out with a group of co-workers for one of the cook's going away party, and I got sort of drunk. I said hi to him and said he doesn't talk to me very much. He looked uncomfortable and couldn't reply... But I was just teasing him and trying to find a way to laugh about the situation. I started talking about a video game he mentioned, and because I was drunk I said I 'loved it and knew all about it' but I really don't. Then he quizzed me on a character and I was so humiliated because I didn't know the answer. I think he took this as a sign of me hitting on him. They all knew I was drunk, so I don't see why it is such a big deal. He said goodnight to me when I left and the next day we were working together without problems. I'm polite, he's polite.

Ok, so after all of this happened:

Last week I added a girl we work with on facebook, and he started popping up in 'people you may know'. I looked at his profile a few times, then.... It was gone. I couldn't search him or find him anywhere. I was able to see his page on a friends facebook page and my mom's... It is now totally obvious that he has blocked me. I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong. Somehow he knows I like him, but why is that a crime? I never tried to add him and I leave him alone at work. Any possible reasons??

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:30 pm

madbirdgirl wrote:
Ok, so... I started my current job about 6 months ago. I work with a small group of servers in a retirement community. We wait tables for old-timers. Anyway, there's this guy co-worker that I find VERY attractive, and I've done everything in my power to HIDE my crush. He wasn't very nice to me at first and neither were the other servers because it's the sort of place that gives newcomers a hard time.
I did, however, notice him looking at me from across the room a few times when he thought I wouldn't notice. Once I walked in with my hair down and saw him staring at me for a solid 6 seconds with interest. I looked away and noticed he was still staring.
He is an introvert and he hardly ever speaks to me. He sometimes does kind things for me like hold open doors.
It's been 6 months and we've never had a proper conversation because we are so nervous around eachother.
I went out with a group of co-workers for one of the cook's going away party, and I got sort of drunk. I said hi to him and said he doesn't talk to me very much. He looked uncomfortable and couldn't reply... But I was just teasing him and trying to find a way to laugh about the situation. I started talking about a video game he mentioned, and because I was drunk I said I 'loved it and knew all about it' but I really don't. Then he quizzed me on a character and I was so humiliated because I didn't know the answer. I think he took this as a sign of me hitting on him. They all knew I was drunk, so I don't see why it is such a big deal. He said goodnight to me when I left and the next day we were working together without problems. I'm polite, he's polite.

Ok, so after all of this happened:

Last week I added a girl we work with on facebook, and he started popping up in 'people you may know'. I looked at his profile a few times, then.... It was gone. I couldn't search him or find him anywhere. I was able to see his page on a friends facebook page and my mom's... It is now totally obvious that he has blocked me. I don't know what I could've possibly done wrong. Somehow he knows I like him, but why is that a crime? I never tried to add him and I leave him alone at work. Any possible reasons??

Aww, that sucks. Clearly he's a complete as*hole, and you're way too good for him. Don't worry, there are plenty of fish in the sea, you will find the one. Hugs :D

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm

No he's not an as*hole, he's just not into you. You shoudn't call someone an as*hole or names simply because they're not into you. Ghosting is a non-direct way of telling someone you're not interested. I know it hurts to get ghosted but you just have to deal with it. Chances are you will ghost someone too if you're not interested in talking to them.

As for the OP, he's just not into you. Honestly, why waste your time with someone who doesn't really care about you? It hurts to have strong feelings for someone but they don't like you back, it really does. But that's apart of life. Find someone who is into you as much as you're into them.

Also i'm not meaning to sound harsh but chances are, he doesn't like you because he's not attracted to you physically and probably only wants to land with a girl who he considers attractive. I don't really know how old you are OP but a lot of young guys only want to date/hookup with pretty girls. But don't cut yourself short; if you're just average, then some guys will like you but you should be aware that a lot of guys put a great emphasis on looks when scouting out potential girls. For many guys if the physical attraction isn't there, then it's a deal breaker. Maybe physically, you're not his type. For instance, he may be physically attracted to short girls but you're tall.

Last edited by darkphantomx1 on 06 Aug 2015, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
No he's not an as*hole, he's just not into you. You shoudn't call someone an as*hole or names simply because they're not into you.

Sorry, I realise I was overexaggerating a bit. It's just that I find it a bit weird that he just blocked her like that.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 6:06 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
As for the OP, he's just not into you. Honestly, why waste your time with someone who doesn't really care about you? It hurts to have strong feelings for someone but they don't like you back, it really does. But that's apart of life. Find someone who is into you as much as you're into them.

That has been my experience having been on both sides. It doesn't feel good, but I've learned to accept it as a normal occurrence in life.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 6:09 pm

Catlover5 wrote:
Sorry, I realise I was overexaggerating a bit. It's just that I find it a bit weird that he just blocked her like that.

Well now she knows that he's not into her. She can stop wasting her time being lovestruck over a guy who really doesn't care about her at all.

In other words, she can move on.

The reason why it's best to show someone you're interested in them is because you can immediately know if they share the same feelings and if they do, great! If they don't, then you can move on. If you spend months obsessing over someone and you finally get the nerve to ask them out only to get rejected, it hurts like hell and all of those months were wasted thinking about one person.

And being a girl, showing someone you're interested is actually a valuable trait to have.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:08 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
No he's not an as*hole, he's just not into you. You shoudn't call someone an as*hole or names simply because they're not into you. Ghosting is a non-direct way of telling someone you're not interested. I know it hurts to get ghosted but you just have to deal with it. Chances are you will ghost someone too if you're not interested in talking to them.

He is a "he", hence why he MUST be an as*hole for blocking a girl.
/sarcasm :p

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

I didn't know you could block someone that's not even on your friends list.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 5:22 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:

Also i'm not meaning to sound harsh but chances are, he doesn't like you because he's not attracted to you physically and probably only wants to land with a girl who he considers attractive. I don't really know how old you are OP but a lot of young guys only want to date/hookup with pretty girls. But don't cut yourself short; if you're just average, then some guys will like you but you should be aware that a lot of guys put a great emphasis on looks when scouting out potential girls. For many guys if the physical attraction isn't there, then it's a deal breaker. Maybe physically, you're not his type. For instance, he may be physically attracted to short girls but you're tall.

This. I've ghosted girls after first dates before. Often because they looked nothing like their profile pictures on the dating sites.

On the other hand, ghosting a girlfriend really does make you an a-hole.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm

You said you think he knew you liked him at the party and you were talking to him. I think he wasn't into you for whatever reason (and it may not necessarily be your looks, I've had guys not into me and go out with girls who weren't as pretty as me so don't assume it's always look) and that's why he didn't talk to you much and when you mentioned the game he tried to make conversation to be nice but it didn't work and everything was ok right then.

When you friended the other person and he started popping up on your list, you started popping up on his too so he knew you would see him. He was trying to avoid making things uncomfortable I suppose. If he knew you liked him and he didn't like you, then friending you would send the wrong idea, that you should try and talk to him and flirt and maybe you would say something awkward and regrettable at 2am on your off night while typing totally tore up. It happens more than you think. He could tell you no, and delete you then but work would be awkward for you, and maybe him. He was trying to avoid that. He could have had it happen to him before or to a friend. Everybody's had it happen to somebody they know, on one side of the admission of undying lust or the other.

I'd think of him as the "one that got away" and you may actually run into him again a few years down the road and he may be interested in you then. You never know. That happens too. It will hurt but it will pass. It will be a little uncomfortable for you for the first few days at work, knowing he knows and what he did and why, but that passes too and it's really no big deal after a few days and you'll do fine.

Let me give you one little bit of advice though. I didn't know this myself when I was a teenager, and I am guessing you are around that age or early 20s. When you like a guy and even if you try not to show it, you do. It's very hard to conceal that and even tiny little nuances of expression and body language and even things you can't help like your eyes dilating all show it. Our bodies betray us all the time that way. Most people pick up on that kind of thing as a "vibe" or a "feeling" rather than notice the particular things. It happens many times in life and sometimes it's very awkward and other times it's something you both just silently acknowledge but by unspoken agreement don't talk about because it wouldn't be a good idea. Other times people who don't want to go out with you are douchebags to you so you will stop liking them. He wasn't, but some are.

I've got a few that got away, but in retrospect I ended up with the better deal and I'll bet you will too. The really hard to swallow ones are the ones you almost landed. That is soul crushing. I hope that doesn't happen, ever.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

madbirdgirl
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2015, 2:58 am

Thanks for the replies, I suppose you're all right. He's not into me. But honestly, him ignoring me altogether and blocking me on facebook has made this 10x more awkward than it needs to be. I have had crushes on other guys at work and the crush subsided after we established a secure friendship. I'm ok with a guy not finding me attractive and I can handle it well... What I'm not ok with is people assuming I'm some sort of crazy stalker because I'm attracted to them.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 3:45 am

Yes he went a bit far.

If he knew you were drunk, it's common sense to attribute your behavior to the alcohol.

Besides, if he wanted to make it clear he is not interested, he didn't have to block you.

He could have simply ignored you/not payed attention to you at work.

I understand this hurts too, but it would be less awkward than blocking you on facebook.

Either way you're going to HAVE to ignore each other from now on anyway to avoid the awkwardness, so there's that too.

Anyway I'm sorry this happened and I hope things can work out with someone else in the future.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm

Ghosting is common and should be expected. If it happens to you, don't worry about it. Eventually it happens so much that you either give up or you decide that it doesn't bother you anymore.

You can't play the game of dating without taking risks.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:06 pm

Got blocked by a few girls on facebook. Don't let that one guy discourage you :wink: