Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:16 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Yet you never had people close to you taken away but yet expect to love that person who took them away from you, oh yes I make my point clearly my friend, you see I used to be all religious and devote but have rejected him long ago and have become a rather militant athiest, as the years go by it is easier to accept that there is no god than that there is one that just does what he pleases and brings pain and wreaks havok on everyone and expects people to love him by enciting fear and killing innocent people.

You're not an atheist, you're just thoroughly inconsistent with whatever beliefs you actually follow. Your posts waiver back and forth between professing a belief in God in professing a hatred for Him and then by negating any of that by saying He doesn't exist without elucidating on either. You can't make a commitment to which side of the argument you want to be on: are you a theist who hates God, an atheist who hates the concept of God or some middle ground? None of this is ever made clear in any of your posts.

Even still, most of your threads seem to revolve around the predictable queries of "why do bad things happen to good people?", "why does God allow suffering?", etc., a question which has been at the forefront of theology since Biblical times and has been answered in many, many different ways, including within the actual Bible itself. You seem to avoid any manner of deeper discussion in favor of just making crude comments or posing incredibly vague questions like "Is God a jerk?", as if you seriously expected anything of substance to come out of your original post rather than just a self-serving plea for attention.

In fact, you actually seem to intentionally contradict yourself, such as when you once said "I'm an atheist because I believe in evolution", even though anyone could tell you evolution is not only accepted by most major Christian churches, but also by Buddhism, Hinduism and other religions which you seem to usually completely overlook to focus exclusively on your obsession with the Judeo-Christian God.

I don't believe you're an atheist. I'm not saying you couldn't be, I just think you're someone who's genuinely confused about what they believe in or what they want to believe in, clearly stemming from some issues you had from a Christian background. You sound like someone who once believed by God but at some point felt betrayed by Him (losing someone close, perhaps?) and your constant, meaningless posts is just how you're trying to deal with your conflicting beliefs. Of course, that's just my assumption.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:35 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
I question stuff all the time. I always wondered why God sent Jesus to die a painful death on the cross. Who made up that rule anyway? It just seems like one big game and we're the pieces down here. Then someone told me there are just some things we are not meant to know yet and that is one of them. With all the sickness and death I see, I question all the time why do people have to go through this stuff? Why can't they just check out in their sleep when their time is up? I have to believe in God otherwise I would go mad if this earth is all there is. Sometimes I think that this place is actually hell - it just can't be all there is. I believe God doesn't want us to be totally depressed here so that's where the animals and beautiful things like flowers and birds come into the picture. There's something miraculous in everything you look at - the seasons and weather, wind, rainbows. I was just thinking the other day how does a bird actually stay in the air - they're only flapping two wings? Take an anatomy and physiology class and you'll find out that the human body is miraculous - how everything works like a machine and if one DNA gets made wrong and your T cells don't stop it then cancer starts and destroys the whole machine. I'll never make sense of sickness. And why do we have to grow old? If all cells keep renewing themselves then why can't we stay young forever? I just have to believe that there is a bigger and better plan than what is right in front of me. I don't know how I'll keep believing in God either once my Ma is gone.
I agree!

When I have said that miracles have happened to me so I do know that God exists - its true. One miracle involved my Ma. I would have lost her 5 yrs ago because she was having all the symptoms of a heart attack, but actually hadn't had one. She went to the doctor and they found out she needed a quadruple bypass, but at the same time they found out she had a rare blood disease called MDS where a person doesn't make enough red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets. The oncologist gave her one year to live because he said she couldn't have the bypass secondary to the low platelets and she would bleed out and die during the surgery. She was supposed to die of a heart attack within the year. Thing is, this rare blood disease was the reason she didn't have a heart attack - because her blood was too thin and didn't clot to cause a heart attack. I didn't accept the diagnosis and immediately found a cardiac surgeon at KU Med who I later found out was one if the top surgeons in the country. He was able to do her bypass with minimal bleeding and she is still here with me today. She gets upset at times because she has to get a unit of blood every couple of months and use a machine with a needle that goes in her stomach to draw off extra iron, but her numbers are actually improving and staying stable. She could get an infection and die from not enough WBC's, but she has been sick with some colds and flu and ended up in the hospital but recovered. Every time she complains I just remind her of how blessed she is to have that rare blood disease that actually saved her life - along with Dr Kramer who I will never forget. Thank you Jesus.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:48 am

You made this post in another thread which perfectly exemplifies your posts about God:

AspieOtaku wrote:
He either does not exist, or he does what he pleases and likes to take innocent lives and incite fear in order to get people to love him.

And for context, this was in response to a ten-paragraph cosmological query about what defines a "God", making AspieOtaku's post rather irrelevant.

Firstly, you make it vividly unclear whether or not you actually believe in your God: you don't preface your post with "I don't believe in God, but..." or "Well, God can't exist because..." or any similar variation which makes an explicitly negative determination; rather, you hang it with an "either or", limiting yourself in making any specifically atheistic comments in preference of expounding greatly upon rationalizing a resentment of God as if you did believe in Him, not making any solid commitment to either side.

Secondly, you immediately tie it right back into your obsession with how the Judeo-Christian God "takes innocent lives" and whatnot, which is the common thread that unites all of your anti-God posts. Above anything else, you are most focused on your resentment of God for "taking" people, which comes right back to my belief that you're just conflicted and confused over what you believe because at some point you felt betrayed by God when He took someone close to you. Maybe you're afraid to believe in God? Maybe you're too prideful to admit that you do believe, want to believe or potentially believe you could believe? Maybe you're just looking for someone to blame over whomever close to you died and it's easiest to blame something intangible which can't fight back?

What's very clear here, though, is that this is more than just mere trolling from a nu-atheist. The common but very specific threads that link all your posts together hint at something much greater bubbling below the surface. I'm by no means an accredited counselor, but if ever you wanted to talk to me, my inbox is always open.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 4:56 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Seconded. He lacks any type of grasp on either basic theology or basic atheist/non-theist theory, so it's not like he has any discernible point to make other than just non-sequiturs, rhetorical rants or borderline nonsensical babble,

Perhaps he is simply trying to process an emotional "log jam"?
Autistic individuals tend to lack "emotional intelligence"...
Perhaps a little tolerance is in order?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:20 am

Pepe wrote:

I have nothing against AspieOtaku or his beliefs, but as long as I've been posting here, he creates thread after thread of the same exact thing in the same exact manner. Just scroll through the last month of posts on PPR: "Literal thinking and religion do not mix!", "Religion is helpful for dumb people", "Are Young Earth Creationist stupid?", "Why does God work in mysterious ways?", "God doesn't seem to exist!", "Prayer is a waste of time!", etc., etc., but instead of trying to start a discussion or making any overt commentary, he just delivers long diatribes as if he were speaking to God, expressing extreme resentment over how God has apparently "taken" people from him while flip-flopping on whether or not he actually believes in Him. Every time.

Most people either just ignore him, troll him or argue with him, but I think it'd be more beneficial to get him to actually talk about what's really bothering him...he makes it pretty clear in all of his posts exactly what that is. Case in point:

AspieOtaku wrote:
God if you are truly a good guy stop killing innocent people and go strait for the bad guys, end the suffering end the hate stop being mysterious and also show yourself! You claim to be perfect and have made so many mistakes and have allowed chaos and cause natural disasters who were devote worshipers to your cause? Even those who don't believe in you but are good and kind hearted people deserve to burn in hell? WTH God? It seems that you are doing your enemy Lucifers work for him and just like him you are prideful arrogant maybe not so unforgiving at some times but always wrathful for those who do not kiss your ass, why do you need attention 24/7? If you were so perfect and righteous you would not be so insecure or an attention whore, just do good things and not let people suffer and prove that you exist but you do none of these things. You would not have to have your own son killed either but you yourself fail to take responsibility for your wrong doings but yet expect the death of your son Jesus being an excuse to allow people to sin? Man you are evil as hell and illogical! /Rant off!

That's...not the type of post from an atheist looking to debate the theological aspects of God's role in the face of human suffering. I argue it's not even a post from an atheist perspective. These are the words of someone who admitted they grew up believing in God and at some point felt betrayed by Him when someone close to him died and is heavily struggling with figuring out what they believe, what they want to believe and how they can believe in it. I mean, this is literally all he posts about in regards to religion, and very frequently at that. I feel bad for him, and if at all possible, I would love to lend my ear and my opinion (from either an atheistic or a theistic perspective) in helping him figure out whatever's bothering him so much.

Last edited by Skibz888 on 07 Aug 2015, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 6:30 am

Quote:

I agree Pepe。 Unfortunately the right words do not come. My best efforts are usually wrong. I think you are right about tolerance.

We tend to be busy defending our faith rather than trying to understand the reason for people's anger.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 7:10 pm

Grebels wrote:

I agree Pepe。 Unfortunately the right words do not come. My best efforts are usually wrong. I think you are right about tolerance.

We tend to be busy defending our faith rather than trying to understand the reason for people's anger.

Said in the true Christian spirit...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 7:21 pm

Skibz888 wrote:

I have nothing against AspieOtaku or his beliefs, but as long as I've been posting here, he creates thread after thread of the same exact thing in the same exact manner.

Most people either just ignore him, troll him or argue with him, but I think it'd be more beneficial to get him to actually talk about what's really bothering him...he makes it pretty clear in all of his posts exactly what that is. Case in point:

These are the words of someone who admitted they grew up believing in God and at some point felt betrayed by Him when someone close to him died and is heavily struggling with figuring out what they believe, what they want to believe and how they can believe in it. I mean, this is literally all he posts about in regards to religion, and very frequently at that. I feel bad for him, and if at all possible, I would love to lend my ear and my opinion (from either an atheistic or a theistic perspective) in helping him figure out whatever's bothering him so much.

I see...
Looks like he has profound emotional distress...
Not the best state for someone on the spectrum to be in, since we tend to lack emotional intelligence/stability/insightfulness...

Also, consider "perseveration"...
Repetition (in this case) of a particular idea...
A thought loop than some, if not many, on the spectrum seem to be burdened with (myself included in the past)...

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2015, 8:20 pm

The "God" I believe in (who may or may not exist) is amoral.

In my opinion, the "God works in mysterious ways" is just a pathetic attempt of some increasingly obsolete belief system to justify all the "evil" in the world.

You have to remember many faiths were established back when the tribes, groups etc thought they were the centre of all creation.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

D0gbert wrote:
The "God" I believe in (who may or may not exist) is amoral.

In my opinion, the "God works in mysterious ways" is just a pathetic attempt of some increasingly obsolete belief system to justify all the "evil" in the world.

You have to remember many faiths were established back when the tribes, groups etc thought they were the centre of all creation.
Exactly!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2015, 8:36 pm

Every time there is a new discovery, the fundamentalists make up something to continue justifying their status quo.

Well, they had ran out of excuses for a while, so not just some flowery version of the word "Magic!".

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Yet you never had people close to you taken away but yet expect to love that person who took them away from you, oh yes I make my point clearly my friend, you see I used to be all religious and devote but have rejected him long ago and have become a rather militant athiest, as the years go by it is easier to accept that there is no god than that there is one that just does what he pleases and brings pain and wreaks havok on everyone and expects people to love him by enciting fear and killing innocent people.

You're not an atheist, you're just thoroughly inconsistent with whatever beliefs you actually follow. Your posts waiver back and forth between professing a belief in God in professing a hatred for Him and then by negating any of that by saying He doesn't exist without elucidating on either. You can't make a commitment to which side of the argument you want to be on: are you a theist who hates God, an atheist who hates the concept of God or some middle ground? None of this is ever made clear in any of your posts.

Even still, most of your threads seem to revolve around the predictable queries of "why do bad things happen to good people?", "why does God allow suffering?", etc., a question which has been at the forefront of theology since Biblical times and has been answered in many, many different ways, including within the actual Bible itself. You seem to avoid any manner of deeper discussion in favor of just making crude comments or posing incredibly vague questions like "Is God a jerk?", as if you seriously expected anything of substance to come out of your original post rather than just a self-serving plea for attention.

In fact, you actually seem to intentionally contradict yourself, such as when you once said "I'm an atheist because I believe in evolution", even though anyone could tell you evolution is not only accepted by most major Christian churches, but also by Buddhism, Hinduism and other religions which you seem to usually completely overlook to focus exclusively on your obsession with the Judeo-Christian God.

I don't believe you're an atheist. I'm not saying you couldn't be, I just think you're someone who's genuinely confused about what they believe in or what they want to believe in, clearly stemming from some issues you had from a Christian background. You sound like someone who once believed by God but at some point felt betrayed by Him (losing someone close, perhaps?) and your constant, meaningless posts is just how you're trying to deal with your conflicting beliefs. Of course, that's just my assumption.
That is how most athiest become athiests my friend.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm

AspieOtaku, I find it hard to believe there is a god I too have had family members taken away, two of them were my nephews with JHD (Juvenile Hungtington's Disease) I saw them go from happy lively kids running around to only lying around on the floor barely able to move.

And yet there are criminals like Julian Knight and Ivan Milat and others who are still around so if there's a God he is a cruel evil God. :evil:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 9:47 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
That is how most athiest become athiests my friend.

Well...no. Not really, no. I mean, sure, it could certainly be a catalyst towards one deconstructing their conception of God, and I've read various perspectives on the topic through an atheistic context, but most atheist thought is derived from numerous sources: theological, humanistic, scientific...you, however, are obsessively focused on this one specific and very personal aspect.

Your posts don't have anything to do with atheism. Your posts are very specifically oriented towards you and your very specific resentment towards God for having "taken" someone close to you. It's only fair to call you "anti-theist", because your posts never touch upon any atheist concepts or discourse; in every one of your threads, you spend the most time focusing on this one singular aspect of your hatred of God at the expense of everything else, enough so that you write pages of rants as if you were directly speaking to Him, voicing your misgivings over how you feel He has wronged you. That's not atheism; atheists don't shake their fists at the sky and scream at God because they know there's nothing there to yell at. Your posts are nothing but you shaking your fists at the sky.

I notice that you didn't object to anything which was said about you over the last two pages, so forgive me if I'm to take that as an agreement. If you'd like, we can talk about it. Who was taken from you? How? Why do you feel God is responsible?

Anachron
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2015, 9:50 pm

Only survivors suffer. Death is mercy.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 9:55 pm