Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Keiji
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

https://www.haiku-os.org/

Anyone else heard of this? I've known about it for a little while, but gave it a spin in Virtualbox for the first time today.

Have to say, I really like their design principles, and also the visual style. It reminds me a lot of Windows 2000, but at the same time, it's taken more influence from Mac as well. Also seems pretty stable and certainly fast and responsive!

I am someone who believes that ALL software should be open source, as such I feel if any open source desktop operating system is going to one day take down Windows, it'll be this.

Although Linux is currently far more popular and developed - and a really good choice for a server environment - it's awful at being a graphical environment IMO. Linux/X11 shares many of the same problems as Windows, being full of weird nuances and legacy stuff that make it difficult to get along with, having no consistency between one graphical app and the next, and just never being designed properly from the start. Haiku on the other hand, feels smooth and consistent, and the developers are very strict about how programs are written, meaning things are just crisper and generally more efficient.

My only complaint, I suppose, is the code style they require... I'd probably look into writing something for it if it weren't for that. It might sound trivial, but as a programmer, I'm extremely picky about code style, and if I'm forced to use a style I don't like, it's just no fun for me..!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:51 am

I remember the old BeOS from which it descended. Very fast powerful OS for which there were virtually no cross platform applications coded for it until BeInc was well on it's way into bankruptcy due to the dot com market crash in 2k-2k1.

That being said, I think that Haiku wil still become ready for prime time release before GnuHURD reaches 1.0. Still though what good is an OS if it you can't do anything with it due to a very limited set of applications?

Keiji
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2015, 2:57 pm

Yep, exactly; which is why software should be open source (and also written in a sensible, intelligible way) so that it can be ported to different operating systems :)