Freedom Fries (Sorry, no Victory Gin.....yet)

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 9:49 am

mouapp wrote:
first of all i really don't like that you assume im american
Few non-Americans really give a damn about our revolution. At the very least I could simply have meant "our" as American. It really is not that much.

Quote:
im sorry but im doing the French revolution in history atm and "American ideals" actually had a huge effect in the French revolution and Lafayette was one of very few offishals respected by the people because of his role in America. but again French i dunno jack about american history

Yes, BUT, that was not within the same agency as helped us out during the revolution. We were not helped by the french lower and middle classes so much as we were by other parts of their system. The fact that our idea caused revolution in France is not strange as it provides an example to people who desire being free from some tyrant, this does not mean some close kinship. Especially given the fact that the French were not extremely kind after the revolution, and were not afraid to use Americans for their purposes. The nicest thing done was the louisiana purchase and that was a measure of mutual self-interest as Napoleon wanted money for his war.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 11:38 am

I think they should be called "traitor tots".

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 6:16 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
dear god, its 1984 for real this time...

They did the same stuff during wars. They called sauerkraut Victory Cabbage during WWI simply because we were fighting the Germans. It is more like a stupid political move than a reason for concern. Heck, 1984 is art imitating life more so than current events are life imitating art.

now that you put it in that perspective, its even worse.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 6:49 pm

When asked to comment on her rumored return to France, Lady Liberty only had this to say:

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2007, 5:00 am

lol ^

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Yes, BUT, that was not within the same agency as helped us out during the revolution. We were not helped by the french lower and middle classes so much as we were by other parts of their system.

agreed, but my point was that it wasnt JUST abut revenge for ALL of the participants, sorry i dident make that clear

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
The fact that our idea caused revolution in France is not strange as it provides an example to people who desire being free from some tyrant, this does not mean some close kinship.

a. Louis xvi was not a tyrant
b. i never said you where close i meant that the French people did care abut your cause as it was there own

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Especially given the fact that the French were not extremely kind after the revolution, and were not afraid to use Americans for their purposes. The nicest thing done was the louisiana purchase and that was a measure of mutual self-interest as Napoleon wanted money for his war.

Napoleon looked out for Napoleon similar to most nations and leaders

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:22 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
now that you put it in that perspective, its even worse.

Not really. All it shows is that we have idiotic politicians. Not only that but it also disconnects the relation between renaming things and totalitarianism as the countries that did this were democracies and stayed democracies. Really, I do not fear a 1984 world at all because I know the greater context of it, we had a greater threat back in, or before, the cold war of falling to totalitarianism.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2007, 8:28 am

mouapp wrote:
agreed, but my point was that it wasnt JUST abut revenge for ALL of the participants, sorry i dident make that clear
Some were idealists, however, democracy isn't the French cause.

Quote:
a. Louis xvi was not a tyrant
b. i never said you where close i meant that the French people did care abut your cause as it was there own
They did kill him though because they didn't think that he was acting in a just manner. I might simply be using the word tyrant lightly as I do not like kings. The issue here though is that France did not really behave in a manner indicating that love during the years after the revolution. There was a rough area that seems to show us as worse allies then one would try to paint us as.

Quote:
Napoleon looked out for Napoleon similar to most nations and leaders

Of course he did, however, I simply wanted people to remember that these acts were not some great movement of closeness.