Sending a message about disability on facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 6:36 pm

This is what I wrote on a former friends facebook (he has brain damage/dyspraxia)

I myself have Aspergers

"No one would have the sheer nerve to say this on Facebook on someones timeline except for me and I will for sure outrageous and anger a lot of you folk on here (especially his nearest and dearest) but please here me speak my wise words.
Looking through bens albums i see a lot of you friends of his, give ben a lot of nice comments and give him a rather outrageous number of likes on some of his photos. As nice as they are you are treating him as nothing more than a charity case or an object of pity. I know a lot of people with disabilities ranging from Down syndrome, dyspraxia, autism and physical disabilities. Instead of being treated like normal human beings people just feel sorry for them, without embracing there god given talents. That of course is the societal attitudes, of the ignorant masses in our so called 'fair society'
My message to you 'the masses' on here is think about your behaviour and attitudes, towards those who's behaviour you perceive to be outside the realms of the norm. You stand guilty of treating your fellow human as different in the eyes of the lord. May god will have mercy on your souls.

Was this a stupid thing to do on my part or not?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 6:39 pm

I would bet that the "likes" are sincere. I bet they're not "feeling sorry" for your friend.

Giving people the benefit of the doubt saves lots of heartache, in my opinion.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 6:49 pm

I am dreading the number of hate comments i am going to get especially from his family.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 12:53 am

My advice is to ignore the hate comments and feel good about yourself for spreading the message that you did.