I'm casting a spell... I feel like casting...: Magic Missile

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 8:52 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Wait a second, MtG doesn't have "trap" cards. :P

And D&D doesn't have MtG cards, so what's your point? ;)

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
As for Battle for Mount Olympus, it's really hard to Google since I get a bunch of results for an animated film with a similar title. :P

It might help if you search for "The Battle of Olympus" instead.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Second Edition though, I'm surprised anyone has fond memories of that. My dad says everyone hated it.

I don't know anyone who hated 2nd edition, all my friends have fond memories of it. It's very similar to 1st, except the default classes, IMO, are a lot better, and they go to great lengths to clarify a lot of the rules, whereas Gygax had worded a lot of things somewhat confusingly.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
*Taps Plains* during your turn I'll Disenchant your trap card.

Zendikar, yo.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 8:28 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
And D&D doesn't have MtG cards, so what's your point? ;)

I guess I don't really have one, so ironically it sounds like YOU have made a point. ;)

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
As for Battle for Mount Olympus, it's really hard to Google since I get a bunch of results for an animated film with a similar title. :P
It might help if you search for "The Battle of Olympus" instead.

That's the title! :D Thanks!

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Second Edition though, I'm surprised anyone has fond memories of that. My dad says everyone hated it.
I don't know anyone who hated 2nd edition, all my friends have fond memories of it. It's very similar to 1st, except the default classes, IMO, are a lot better, and they go to great lengths to clarify a lot of the rules, whereas Gygax had worded a lot of things somewhat confusingly.

My dad insists that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, aka D&D 1.5, is the classic. I might be remembering things wrong though, so I'll have to ask him again what he thought of D&D 2nd Edition.

AJisHere wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
*Taps Plains* during your turn I'll Disenchant your trap card.

Zendikar, yo.

That's funny, because I started playing around the time Zendikar came out, and I don't remember seeing that card. I was mostly a red player at the time though. But anyway, you'd think a "trap" card in MtG would be an enchantment instead of an instant, since traps in Yu Gi Oh are like enchantments.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 2:27 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
My dad insists that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, aka D&D 1.5, is the classic. I might be remembering things wrong though, so I'll have to ask him again what he thought of D&D 2nd Edition.

I started with 2nd, about a year or so before everyone started switching over to 3rd. I've never played 1st, but I have the books and have read through them, and 2nd doesn't sound drastically different, not like 3rd, 4th, 5th were. There's just a few bits in 1st that I don't care for, like I can't see Assassin PCs working out well in most campaigns.

AD&D 1.5 is technically Unearthed Arcana, right? I still need to get that book.

I usually just play the original D&D (Basic/Expert), although some of my friends are put off by the fact that they can't min/max the heck out of it or metagame all of the rules.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 8:19 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I started with 2nd, about a year or so before everyone started switching over to 3rd. I've never played 1st, but I have the books and have read through them, and 2nd doesn't sound drastically different, not like 3rd, 4th, 5th were. There's just a few bits in 1st that I don't care for, like I can't see Assassin PCs working out well in most campaigns.

AD&D 1.5 is technically Unearthed Arcana, right? I still need to get that book.

I usually just play the original D&D (Basic/Expert), although some of my friends are put off by the fact that they can't min/max the heck out of it or metagame all of the rules.

I remember one of the few times I've actually played, one of my friends wanted to roll an Assassin but we couldn't make it work out because you can only make assassins with an evil alignment.

AD&D 1st Edition is basically D&D 1.5 ;) AD&D was merged into D&D later on.

The materials are easy to find for original D&D, and since it's the most basic version, that should also make it the most versatile. IIRC, the later editions from 3.x on were video game-ified to appeal to newer players unfamiliar with pen & paper RPGs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:40 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
AD&D was merged into D&D later on.

Not that I am aware of, unless you're talking about 3rd Edition. They just dropped "Advanced" from the title so that new players wouldn't think the game was overly complicated.

Besides, WotC had no plans on keeping the original D&D line running alongside it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 10:01 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
AD&D was merged into D&D later on.

Not that I am aware of, unless you're talking about 3rd Edition. They just dropped "Advanced" from the title so that new players wouldn't think the game was overly complicated.

Besides, WotC had no plans on keeping the original D&D line running alongside it.

That's what I meant.