Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

A few months ago I got another job at a fast food restaurant. I have five total years of experience there, so the place is familiar to me and I settled into it pretty quickly, especially when they put me on nights. Recently one of the managers called me up and offered me a promotion. They want me to be a night manager.

I accepted, but now I'm feeling apprehensive. Only a few other people there know I'm autistic, and I don't really want to bring it up with my bosses. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal, but professionally it will be the most responsibility I've ever had. I just hope that I can handle it.

Have you been a manager before? If so, how did you deal with the stress?

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:49 pm

I'm sure other people will add better responses soon. I'm not autistic, but I've had a few close family members work their way up to fast food management. They didn't seem to enjoy it enough to make it, say, a lifelong career, but it seemed to have trade offs.

As managers, my family members could manage their own time to some degree, which decreased their stress. I'm talking about minor time management like getting to determine when you step outside and take a breather and not having anyone yell at you if you're five minutes late. They also seemed to have less stress by being able to control the cleanliness and order around them to a higher degree than as a regular worker.

Being responsible for things and never knowing when something might go wrong added stress. Being the person that people talked to when they had a problem also added stress.

One family member always seemed to end up with management tasks even when she didn't have the manager job title. In her case, I think it was just as well that she managed. In cases where you don't make much more and you have to do a lot more than you're regularly doing, you might be better off as a lower worker. It just all depends.