Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2015, 3:49 pm

After ten years of steady employment, I feel as though my job is finally starting to abuse me. I recently found out that the days I wanted to take off during Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year's have already been taken (the former coming just two weeks ago).

With that news, I have decided it's time to look for new employment. I'm happy that someone with AS has had a job for as long as me, but it looks as though greener pastures await.

So, with a ten-year gap on my resume, it looks like those prospects are rather thin. Any advice you guys may have?

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 4:30 pm

Why would you have a gap on your resume? Is it so bad that you can't hang on until you find a new job?

I wouldn't worry about your current employer giving you a bad reference unless there's something way out of the ordinary going on. Even if an employer doesn't like an employee, they'll usually give a good reference so the employee will move on.

PillowSpider
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm

NYAspie wrote:
After ten years of steady employment, I feel as though my job is finally starting to abuse me. I recently found out that the days I wanted to take off during Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year's have already been taken (the former coming just two weeks ago).

With that news, I have decided it's time to look for new employment. I'm happy that someone with AS has had a job for as long as me, but it looks as though greener pastures await.

So, with a ten-year gap on my resume, it looks like those prospects are rather thin. Any advice you guys may have?

How does not getting the vacation dates you wanted constitute "abuse" by your employer?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:40 pm

Yes, exactly what happened?

Where I work the person who puts it on the calendar first gets it.

When nobody puts it on the calendar and it is at the last moment--Seniority rules--which is a very common practice.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/jobs/ ... .html?_r=0

Moving jobs can be very counterproductive if you value vacations.
Unless you are so valuable that you can negotiate that as part of your employment benefits.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

PillowSpider wrote:

How does not getting the vacation dates you wanted constitute "abuse" by your employer?

I'll admit that the word "abuse" was rather strong; it was how I was feeling at the time I started this thread.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2015, 8:38 am

BTDT wrote:

When nobody puts it on the calendar and it is at the last moment--Seniority rules--which is a very common practice.

Unless you are so valuable that you can negotiate that as part of your employment benefits.

You're right on that one, but the fact is that the family-oriented holidays in the US (like Thanksgiving) and around the world (like Christmas) are the most coveted times of the year to take off work to spend time with family, go away on a trip, etc. The fact that it was barely mid-August by the time the day after Thanksgiving was closed out and that I found out yesterday that the same situation had applied to the week between Christmas and New Year's was rather upsetting to me. My disappointment, though, did not come from lack of effort, as I had tried to get those dates before they were eventually shut out.

PillowSpider

22 Aug 2015, 10:02 am

NYAspie wrote:
BTDT wrote:

You're right on that one, but the fact is that the family-oriented holidays in the US (like Thanksgiving) and around the world (like Christmas) are the most coveted times of the year to take off work to spend time with family, go away on a trip, etc. The fact that it was barely mid-August by the time the day after Thanksgiving was closed out and that I found out yesterday that the same situation had applied to the week between Christmas and New Year's was rather upsetting to me. My disappointment, though, did not come from lack of effort, as I had tried to get those dates before they were eventually shut out.

Okay, you are upset that you did not get the vacation dates you wanted this year. You tried your best, but didn't get approved to take time off at a very popular time of year that everybody wants to take offZ

Still not seeing how this constitutes abuse by your employer. It's disappointing and annoying, yes, but not actuallybabusive.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 10:25 am

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/4b8139ba-cf8b ... z3jYd0eK--
As this article points out, traditional manufacturing jobs will often have company wide Christmas Holidays--the plant will shut down for Christmas.

Many places give you more vacation time with seniority, when you change jobs you have to start all over...though there are exceptions like moving around divisions in a big company--like the Bell Telephone company before they were forced to break up.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2015, 6:26 pm

NYAspie wrote:
BTDT wrote:

I have same the issue. I think from what the person is referring to is that he is a employee with seniority. Sometimes a supervisor will allow people who are fresh but popular to get good schedules and sometimes days off though they are fresh out the boat. When you have policies for years and all of a sudden things change, change becomes hard

MistyMay
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2015, 8:47 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
NYAspie wrote:
BTDT wrote:

I have same the issue. I think from what the person is referring to is that he is a employee with seniority. Sometimes a supervisor will allow people who are fresh but popular to get good schedules and sometimes days off though they are fresh out the boat. When you have policies for years and all of a sudden things change, change becomes hard

That's annoying and unfair but still doesn't rise to the level of abusive.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2015, 1:31 pm

MistyMay wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
NYAspie wrote:
BTDT wrote:

That's annoying and unfair but still doesn't rise to the level of abusive.

I agree, it's more annoying and unfair, but not everyone gets the chance to get holidays off. Abuse would be in the form of making someone work 7 days a week, or not allowing one to take legally mandated breaks, including needing to go to the bathroom.