Yes 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
Maybe 25%  25%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 48

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2015, 7:37 am

If people found a cure for autism, what would you do? Would you want to be cured, or rebel against being cured?

Vote! Go ahead, Image

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 7:40 am

There is no "cure" for autism....and there never will be.

There is no cure for the Common Cold, either....and there probably never will be.

We just have to adjust the best way we know how.

We have to take the good with the bad, with the emphasis on the good.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 7:41 am

I'm not sure there can be a cure, as autism has no one known cause.

Lots of aspies use gluten free diets, etc., which (if they're participating willingly) I'm all for, but those are treatments, not a 'cure'.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 8:05 am

Sounds risky. All I can imagine is them messing around with brains. Sounds like a very complex and very risky procedure if they do find a consistent "autistic brains wired like this, neurotypical like this". Can't figure out how else they'd cure it, but who knows?

At the moment the only cure, if you can call it that, is death. Only then do you stop being autistic. So to cure it we'd have to have a modern day holocaust. Not a good idea.

As of currently, no. In the future, maybe. But I don't think it should ever be forced even if they do find a cure.

cheryll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2015, 9:16 am

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with the way I am that needs to be cured. If being cured meant I'd suddenly be more sociable and love doing all the stuff I dislike now, then no thank you. I also love my Asperger's son just the way he is and there's absolutely nothing I would change.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 9:46 am

I'll go with "no", methinks.

Dont need, dont want.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 10:37 am

This Thread-Title is Wrong... should instead be : Cure for Neuro-Typical Syndrome

Additionally, Autism ain't a disease, and there's no reason to try curing non-diseases;

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 11:23 am

Our diversity is a good thing, and most of the problems we face are not from our Autism but the lack of understanding of it in the general population, and so the fact that many systems are designed with NT people in mind. Greater understanding will lead to greater accessibility for us, and when that happens we can prove our worth to society (which I think should not be underestimated). We are different, not diseased or inferior.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 11:25 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
This Thread-Title is Wrong... should instead be : Cure for Neuro-Typical Syndrome

Additionally, Autism ain't a disease, and there's no reason to try curing non-diseases;

Good luck getting most people to believe that one though, bah.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

It would depend a lot on what it was - specifically which traits it cured, how long-lived it was, and whether or not it was associated with health risks and side effects. I'd be inclined to wait and let a large number of other people beta-test it first, so that those parameters could be determined.

I would want to try a cure that significantly improved my executive function and reduced my difficulty in switching attention, difficulty in remembering names and faces, and difficulty in intuitively understanding social "common sense," provided it was known to have no health risks or unpleasant side effects. In practice, I think I could be waiting a very long time.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 2:34 pm

If they could 'cure' me, I wouldn't be who I am, with all the strengths and weaknesses. I have spent my life getting adjusted to ASD, and I don't want to have to get adjusted again. So, no way!

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 5:06 pm

Yes, I would want to be cured. If it involves getting rid of all the social awkwardness and negatives I'll gladly take it.

I know in a way it's almost letting society win b/c I'll be "normal" but still better if I didn't have to receive a huge middle finger everyday of my life.. I would always be me no matter what!

Those who say there is no cure are or that your personality will change are in denial because researchers are working on it and discovering the underlying root causes, maybe treatments "not cures" are most likely to happen in the future but it's better than nothing. I know some aspies take great pride of their diversity but society doesn't care.

You won't lose your interests or personality if you were cured, you'd just be a better version of yourself.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is no "cure" for autism....and there never will be.

There is no cure for the Common Cold, either....and there probably never will be.

We just have to adjust the best way we know how.

We have to take the good with the bad, with the emphasis on the good.

How can you be so sure? Do you understand how every autistic brain is wired and the complexity? What if we're all just NT's underneath?

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm

my initial impulse is to say yes, but i'm not sure what parts of my thinking it would affect, if i would somehow end up losing some of the qualities that make me me. and that's really the only thing i have to have self esteem about. so i'm not sure..

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm

No, thank you. I'm happy to be the way that I am. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 9:24 pm

They should be the ones to convince me since they've made such ridiculous claims.

Misery wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

Good luck getting most people to believe that one though, bah.